Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 15,743 times

Advertisements

My neighbor has parked a flatbed truck on the street, unmoved, for about a month. Just looks bad. Is there an ordinance against "storing" a vehicle on the street? This is a residential neighborhood in SE Albuquerque.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Does it have a valid license plate/registration sticker?

Are you sure it is "stored"?

FAQs — City of Albuquerque Look at the code enforcement portion. I would just call code enforcement: 505-924-3850

Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM

License looks like regular NM plate. Haven't checked registration sticker.
I don't know what else to call a vehicle that has not been moved for a month other than "stored".
Thank you for the code enforce number

Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfopy View Post
License looks like regular NM plate. Haven't checked registration sticker.
I don't know what else to call a vehicle that has not been moved for a month other than "stored".
Thank you for the code enforce number
I had a pick-up truck that was parked in front of my house for over 10 years. It was moved 2 to 5 times per week that entire period. It was not a junker. Someone reported it. The police came out, saw it was registered, licensed and insured. It was not a commercial vehicle. No problem. But it may depend th zoning for your area.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM

366 posts, read 869,266 times
Unless you are in a HOA or somewhere with special zoning I don't think there is any problem with parking an operable car on the side of the street.

Have you tried talking to him nicely about it? Do you have a suggestion for where he should park it?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
It's worth calling zoning, I'm not sure what the rules are, but if it's a commercial vehicle of a certain size I suspect it's not allowed.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 PM

Well hmmm, interesting that most seem to think a permanently street-parked vehicle is prob okay. I heart NM :\

Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Seems to be the case unless it's inoperable, commercial or an RV.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfopy View Post
Well hmmm, interesting that most seem to think a permanently street-parked vehicle is prob okay. I heart NM :\
Why shouldn't it be okay? Parking cars on the street is perfectly fine in most places in every other state in America. Don't try to make this a quirk specific to New Mexico. Look at extreme places like New York City where it is necessary to park cars on the street due to lack of garages and driveways. In Albuquerque there are a few places where those conditions also exist, such as around the Lofts at Old Albuquerque High.

I'd wager that most neighborhoods in the specific area you mention (Southeast Albuquerque) face similar parking dilemmas/issues as the Lofts due to the density in the area and limited parking spaces, especially for visitors to the area. Cars parked on the street are quite common (and necessary, I'd say) in the really dense areas of that part of town. Most (newer) apartments are required by zoning to provide adequate parking for residents of 1 to 2 spaces per apartment (there's a formula involved, I believe it's approximately 1.5 spaces per apartment), but that still might not be enough for even residents since it is not unusual to have two, three or more cars per family nowadays.

In some cities permits are required to park on the street, but that has more to do with demand than a waver from the law. Here in Albuquerque there isn't quite the demand to necessitate permits citywide, but there's also no law against parking on the street so long as the conditions that others have already articulated are met.

I also think that cars look better parked on the street than jammed into driveways and elsewhere on front yards. You'll find that happening all over the city, mostly due to the increasing number of cars per family that I mention above.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I suggest checking with parking enforcement to satisfy your curiosity but just because a truck looks "unsightly" is no reason somebody should move it. Cities are tough enough to live in already without somebody whining about a truck. MYOB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque