Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,284 times

Advertisements

Have reviewed the threads, pros and cons, read endless statements about crimes, education issues, etc. Haven't been there before, have been in Denver, and CO Springs, which are similarly brown/tan all year long and also have water issues. I am personally allergic to grass, so the lack of it, thrills me. I read many posts from 2009 and 2010 that depicted ABQ as a trashy streets, broken glass, type of urban back street warehouse area. That wasn't my understanding of the area at all, so maybe these individuals are speaking about a particular area of ABQ.

I've travelled the world and there is crap and crime everywhere, it's what you make of it. I'm somewhat concerned about this particular location, not due to the weather, which I'm sure I will love, but due to the overall uncertainty I sense among residents and movers alike about the water situation. I do enjoy growing my own produce, and water is required for that. Can you give me a sense of a typical monthly water bill in ABQ for a 3 bedroom home?

Also, I've reviewed all the new housing developments, and am leaning towards RR or Fencik Lane SW at Montecito Estates (wherever that is.) It does seem like there are a lot of empty lots there and I would have to rent for some time until a new home was finished. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs, and am also aware of the 5 pet limit in NM. Believe me, 4 is all I can handle.

Are there good rentals for 2 dogs/2 cats? Smokers?

I'd also like to get a sense of the travel time. My job would actually be in Espanola. I could be wrong, but isn't that like a 2 hour drive each way? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I also researched the rail, but that only goes to SF, and doesn't extend to Espanola. What do most folks in this area do for that commute? Sorry, I'm from the DC area and it takes me 2.5 hours to go 27 miles so I'm trying to imagine that drive.

Believe me, I will be coming out and travelling the routes from ABQ to Esp. for my final interviews if it gets that far, and would like to scope out everything while there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 AM

176 posts, read 325,176 times
I would come out and visit before any scheduled interviews. Thst way, you can decide if it is really the place for you.

My son and I are in the process of buying a house, but we have been out there several times.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 AM

176 posts, read 325,176 times
Ps- I'm from the DC area, too and I've also been out to Colorado. There have been areas in ABQ, where traffic was bad, but it was usually due to a car accident or construction. The DC area had some very aggressive driving and this year, it was voted the worst traffic in the country.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenDD35 View Post
Haven't been there before, have been in Denver, and CO Springs, which are similarly brown/tan all year long and also have water issues.
We have more wonderful shades of tan...

Quote:
I am personally allergic to grass, so the lack of it, thrills me.
Pollen can be an issue for some.

Read up on the Albuquerque Pollen issue here: Pollen — City of Albuquerque

These two threads also discuss the issue:
Pollen Alerts - Pollen Counts
Allergies, Pollen in Albuquerque
Quote:
I'd also like to get a sense of the travel time. My job would actually be in Espanola. I could be wrong, but isn't that like a 2 hour drive each way? Please correct me if I am wrong.
It is about 80 miles one way and an hour and a half or more each way.

I would not do it. I would look for a place on the northeast side of Santa Fe. Maybe 25 miles one way, 45 minutes one way. It would be more cost effective.... (I commuted from PA to DC 101 miles one way for 10+ years by car, truck, motorcycle and plane.)

Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM

4,875 posts, read 4,819,501 times
Depending on where you live in the ABQ area, Espanola is 70-100 miles away. On most days, that's 1 1/2-2 hours each way. If there is an accident or other event on I-25, there will be delays as there is no real alternate route. On some days in the winter, you will simply not be able to drive to Espanola in any amount of time because I-25 will be closed or seriously backed up due to weather at La Bajada Hill (near exits 264-267 at Cochiti). Sometimes the snow is north of Santa Fe and 84/285 is a mess.

I agree with Rich, I would not live in ABQ and work in Espanola. Santa Fe is would likely be the best place and I can't, in good conscience, recommend that anyone move to Espanola.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,943,012 times
I also would advise against living in Albuquerque to commute to Espanola. It's too much of a haul. Santa Fe sounds like a good idea, but your housing expenses will typically end up higher there.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,703,469 times
Los Alamos may be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque