Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:27 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times

Advertisements

Rainfall for the last 9 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 PM

255 posts, read 627,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Rainfall for the last 9 months.
Glad to hear you guys are getting some much needed rain. The scary thing is how bad off California is right now and how much of the US/worlds produce is grown there. Youre going to have to send some good rain vibes their way ASAP

Old 08-21-2014, 02:26 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
Thanks for posting the rainfall map, NMHacker. I left NM for southern California in May and and am very concerned with the drought conditions in my new home state. It looks like an el niño condition is in effect in NM. If that's the case, maybe CA will have a wet winter. Got my fingers crossed.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Thanks for posting the rainfall map, NMHacker. I left NM for southern California in May and and am very concerned with the drought conditions in my new home state. It looks like an el niño condition is in effect in NM. If that's the case, maybe CA will have a wet winter. Got my fingers crossed.
Believe it or not - NM has had only a normal rainfall this past season. It would take 5 years of above-average rainfall to pull us out of our drought.

Sadly, the news this morning says that CA is going to have a warmer winter than normal (and so is NM). BUT -- that doesn't mean that there won't be some rain. BUT -- probably not nearly enough for either state.

I'm postponing my move back to San Diego (or anywhere in CA). If this drought gets much worse, I can see myself moving to Pittsburgh (PA). Not Heaven on Earth -- but it has water.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Believe it or not - NM has had only a normal rainfall this past season. It would take 5 years of above-average rainfall to pull us out of our drought.
Substantial portions of the state are currently classified as "abnormally dry" (yellow), below "moderate drought".

United States Drought Monitor > Home > State Drought Monitor

Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 PM

71 posts, read 260,697 times
Rainfall for July 2014 was actually above average. The news reported that July 2014 was one of the wettest on record: July 2014 one of the wettest for Albuquerque | KOB.com

Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Substantial portions of the state are currently classified as "abnormally dry" (yellow), below "moderate drought".

United States Drought Monitor > Home > State Drought Monitor
Eh -- I think that's what I said : we're not out of the woods by any means.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Rainfall for July 2014 was actually above average. The news reported that July 2014 was one of the wettest on record: July 2014 one of the wettest for Albuquerque | KOB.com
Yes, but all together it was only a normal Monsoon Season. We need at least 5 above-average Monsoon Seasons to pull us out. Well, maybe it was that we've had normal rainfall for the year. I can't remember. Sorry. But I think it was this summer's Monsoon Season that the Water Authority was speaking of.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Soil moisture levels all across the southern Rockies are still well below normal. This year's Southwest Monsoon has not been enough to make that much difference. It also has been notoriously capricious and unreliable. Storms have often been extremely heavy, but concentrated only on very small areas. The pattern from southern Colorado southward has also been somewhat abnormal--storm movement often atypical from the norm, areas that normally get substantial monsoonal moisture not getting much while normally much drier areas have gotten hammered, etc. The whole region desperately needs a much wetter, longer, and colder than normal winter this year. All are critically important, but the last two are especially needed to kill off the overwintering larvae of various pine and spruce beetles that are decimating the forests of the southern Rockies.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:24 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
... the rain sure makes NM anything but dull and colorless:

Photo by Chip Simons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque