Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 AM

444 posts, read 821,761 times

Advertisements

Hello,

MY BF and I are moving out to the ABQ area, with our small dog. We are looking around the Arroyo Del Oso Park area.

Yesterday, he decided it was a good idea to look up information about scorpions and other regional venomous creatures. Now he is worried that the dog could get hurt, or he will come home and find a scorpion or black widow in the house.

How common is it to see venomous creatures in your home? Do we have to worry about the dog, he not in the best shape. Do house cats help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,070,487 times
It is very rare to see a rattlesnake in the city. Out in the native desert or mountain areas you will see them. Even then not too often. Keep your dog on a leash while hiking and you will be fine. I have heard of scorpions around but have never seen one myself. Black Widows we do see. Normally not in the home but in the yard. In dark cool areas. Easily mitigated with regular pest control maintenance.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,871,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post

moving out to the ABQ area, with our small dog. We are looking around the Arroyo Del Oso Park area.

look up information about scorpions and other regional venomous creatures.

How common is it to see venomous creatures in your home? Do we have to worry about the dog, he not in the best shape. Do house cats help?
I am familiar with the Arroyo Del Oso Park area, in that I have driven through it over the years, walked my dogs through the arroyos, etc. I have seen two scorpions our house in the last 15 years, I spray around the bottom of the doors outside frequently. I see Black Widows in the yard almost every year. We have had dogs our entire 15 years in New Mexico. We have had dogs who have grown old and died... You didn't ask about bees and wasps... My wife got stung by a yellow jacket once. We never owned a cat.

ABQ is a dog friendly city.

You might read through these threads:
Hiking, Rattlesnakes, and Dogs Question
pests, bugs and irritants/threats to people/dogs
Questions about dogs in Albuquerque??? Dog people wanted
Can dogs tolerate the summer heat in Albuquerque?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM

444 posts, read 821,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I am familiar with the Arroyo Del Oso Park area, in that I have driven through it over the years, walked my dogs through the arroyos, etc. I have seen two scorpions our house in the last 15 years, I spray around the bottom of the doors outside frequently. I see Black Widows in the yard almost every year. We have had dogs our entire 15 years in New Mexico. We have had dogs who have grown old and died... You didn't ask about bees and wasps... My wife got stung by a yellow jacket once. We never owned a cat.

ABQ is a dog friendly city.

You might read through these threads:
Hiking, Rattlesnakes, and Dogs Question
pests, bugs and irritants/threats to people/dogs
Questions about dogs in Albuquerque??? Dog people wanted
Can dogs tolerate the summer heat in Albuquerque?
Is there anything special about the bees and wasps in NM? I'm from Ohio. Bees, wasps, snakes, and field mice are common, but are almost never in the house. Centipedes can be a nuisance though.

As always "horror stories"/"worst case scenarios" seem to make it to the top. My bf is concerned the dog will be in his crate, in the house, and a scorpion will craw in and torment him while we are at work. I've seen a few stories about scorpions in peoples beds, and stinging them while they sleep. I'm thinking that is a "worst case" not typical.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,871,871 times
Quote:
Is there anything special about the bees and wasps in NM?
No...

Quote:
Centipedes can be a nuisance though.
We have Centipedes

Quote:
As always "horror stories"/"worst case scenarios" seem to make it to the top.
I probably saw more bugs/critters when we lived in Florida in one year than our 15 years in New Mexico.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,516,523 times
I'm in Western NC we have: timber rattlers, copperheads, black widows, brown recluse, bees, wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, assorted other creeping biting creatures, (no scorpions) coyotes, black bears, mice, rats, etc. My guess is NM is no worse than here and maybe better. Fall is the time for possible house visitation in most places. We keep a small candy box with lid works great for trapping things and letting go ouside where they belong.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,635,505 times
I live off Tramway & Menaul, had spider issues when I first moved in. The landlord eliminated the nesting places around the triplex (removed mulching, trimmed the shrubs, etc) and has the units sprayed regularly. No more problems. The only time I have any spiders now are when the seasons change, and it's just the random little one, like anywhere else I've lived.

I've never seen any other hazardous critters on the patio, but I don't have a yard so I can't vouch for what they do in yards. I've only had one client with scorpion issues, they built out in Placitas a couple of years back, had to move out for a few weeks to have the house/land treated and sealed, no problems since then. No one else I know has had any issues.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,707,001 times
It's unlikely you'll find any scorpions in that area.

Black widows are more likely, but I think they prefer it outside.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:01 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,460,431 times
I woke up this morning covered in scorpions. So I ate them for breakfast with tequila and lime.

Really… it's time to step outside your comfort zone. Someone is watching too much TV.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,949,423 times
Quote:
How often do you see venomous creatures in your home?
Only when I look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque