Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

131 posts, read 185,859 times

Advertisements

Hi..I'm new here...so glad to have found this site (well, wish I had earlier!). I've been in St. Louis for about 10 years, going to school then working, but now have had to go on disability for chronic migraines (a strange reason, I know, but it's been bad).

My neurologist has long said the Midwest is the worst area for migraines (maybe due to weather variability?), but I didn't have much option to move out until now. I also hate, hate the cold and love the sun...not sure how I've survived so long here!

Anyway, I researched cities, and ABQ came up as a great match. I just visited for the first time and loved it...almost everything about it. But I have lupus, which had been mostly in remission for years...and after only a day or two there (with high SPF sunscreen and sunglasses on), I began to get a major flare of it.

I quickly bought a hat and started spending part of my days indoors, in museums, etc. But I guess it was the intensity of the sun at that altitude...I had a rash, joint swelling and pain, and fatigue that seemed to worsen by the day. And I didn't even think about that possibility when considering ABQ, since I've had so little problem with it here in St. Louis, even when spending afternoons in the sun!

I'm close to scratching ABQ off my list...I was actually taking steroids for another reason during the trip that should have kept the symptoms at bay. My rheumatologist said people with lupus do of course live there, just cover up, find a new doctor, etc. But I don't know if this is practical...if I would have to make myself a recluse and not get to explore the outdoor areas, or get very sick.

Sorry for this long message, and I know no one can know the future. But if you were in my situation, would you still consider ABQ? It's such a double-edged sword...the sun lifts my mood, I love taking photos (hence my user name), I was overwhelmed by the natural beauty...but my body decided not to cooperate! I've never really had that kind of limitation before, and it's a bit sad.

Thanks for any help or advice. Or suggestions on other cities to consider. There's a chance I may just move neighborhoods in St. Louis (I need a change of pace, and my lease is ending), but I keep swearing I'm not going to spend another winter here! Then again, there may not be the perfect place for someone with lupus and migraines who has to live on a disability income for now (California sounds great otherwise!). Portland recently came up as an option...but I might get depressed with too much rain!

I will check out more of these boards...thanks.

Edit: Oh, I wanted to add, I have been checking out UV-protective clothing online...wow, it's more advanced than I knew...so it might be possible to walk around covered up like a mummy somewhat? (That might not get great looks, though...)

Last edited by havecamerawilltravel; 02-19-2014 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,926 times
Lupus is definitely no picnic here. If you have a high degree of photosensitivity (like many lupus sufferers do), Albuquerque should be low on your list. Not only is it high in UV, but it's high in just general sunniness (some rheumatoid conditions involving photosensitivity actually go into the visible light frequencies).

Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am photosensitive...I didn't realize quite *how* photosensitive until I traveled up there! I guess the sun in St. Louis is less harsh (plus you're often bundled up against the cold)...though I do notice some minor problems here.

My former work was in medical research (not involving lupus, though)...I joked to the friend who picked me up from the airport..."It's simple...I just have to cure lupus, and then I can move to Albuquerque!" I do plan to do some more reading about it, even if I don't have such grandiose plans. I do love the city and wish I could call it home.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:58 PM

4,880 posts, read 4,827,218 times
Albuquerque is also at 5,000-6,000 feet elevation, depending on where you are in and around town. That means there is less filtering of the UV light than St. Louis (about 15-20%).

Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 PM

Thanks, jiminnm...yes, I figured it was the high elevation that made the sunlight more intense. What a double-edged sword...I loved going out in that sunshine, and it really lifted my mood...until I started getting pretty ill! It's been a week since I returned home, and I'm still recovering from the exhaustion. Wow, what a beautiful place, though...

Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
Thanks, jiminnm...yes, I figured it was the high elevation that made the sunlight more intense. What a double-edged sword...I loved going out in that sunshine, and it really lifted my mood...until I started getting pretty ill! It's been a week since I returned home, and I'm still recovering from the exhaustion. Wow, what a beautiful place, though...
The altitude may have contributed to your exhaustion. It usually takes people several weeks to get used to the altitude. What you could do physically at lower elevation takes time to build up to at 5k'.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 AM

Oh, thanks...that may be part of it. I still have the facial rash and some joint swelling too, though...but that's good to know.

As I'm just reading about (yet) another "polar vortex" set to hit the Midwest...is there not somewhere in New Mexico that has a lower elevation I might survive? Or any other nearby (or far) suggestions? Cannot take the cold! (Have seen Las Vegas mentioned, but I am as far away from a "strip" kind of girl as you could imagine, no pun intended...more the nature type...though I think there is a variety outside the city?)

Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
Oh, thanks...that may be part of it. I still have the facial rash and some joint swelling too, though...but that's good to know.

As I'm just reading about (yet) another "polar vortex" set to hit the Midwest...is there not somewhere in New Mexico that has a lower elevation I might survive? Or any other nearby (or far) suggestions? Cannot take the cold! (Have seen Las Vegas mentioned, but I am as far away from a "strip" kind of girl as you could imagine, no pun intended...more the nature type...though I think there is a variety outside the city?)
Las Vegas, New Mexico or Las Vegas Nevada?

The lowest elevation in New Mexico is 2842 feet above sea level at Red Bluff Reservoir Red Bluff Reservoir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might look at the EPA UV maps and info here: UV Index | SunWise | US EPA

New Mexico is pretty sunny...

Here are some web sites related to lupus and New Mexico:
Lupus Voices Across America
https://www.facebook.com/LupusOfNewMexico505
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lupus...43747705692532
Albuquerque NM Rheumatologist Doctors - Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) Symptoms, Treatment, Pictures, Diagnosis - MedicineNet

Old 02-22-2014, 01:19 AM

Thanks very much, Poncho...I was referring to Las Vegas, NV since I didn't know there was one in NM!

Wow, didn't realize the altitude was universally high (high or higher, I guess)...though I'm not totally surprised. I'd never seen those EPA UV maps before...thanks for the links. Also the ones about lupus and NM...somehow those didn't come up in my search (Google has not been my friend?). Appreciate it

Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM

89 posts, read 270,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
The altitude may have contributed to your exhaustion. It usually takes people several weeks to get used to the altitude. What you could do physically at lower elevation takes time to build up to at 5k'.
I second the "altitude" being the major contributor to the exhaustion. I (we, including my family) are low-landers from the east coast and spent most of our lives there. There is a period of adjustment when you arrive here, with it's length being directionally proportional to your fitness at the time. My wife and I aren't in terrible shape, but are a little older (40's) and it really lasted about a month for us, with the first 2 weeks being the worst. Our kids (college age and fitter), really only lasted about 2 weeks for them with only a few days of being "really" tired. I still, after a year, struggle on occasion exercising outside here. Very dry air makes jogging difficult without tons of water to keep your hydrated.

The good thing is that you do get used to it. My wife used to get bad migraines back east (mostly sinus related), but with the dry air here, she has not had any issues at all. The bigger issue sounds like it would be the sun. Sunshine, and intense sunshine at that, in abundance out here. It it caused you issues in just a few short days, you might be miserable out here. It has the opposite effect on me. I love the sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque