Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:42 PM

923 posts, read 2,424,506 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

I’m going to be spending June at UNM in Albuquerque, so I’d like to find out more about your city.

1. I’m not sure what kind of clothes to pack. I’ve heard the days can get warm but the nights cool off considerably. Here in Nashville the summers are hot and humid — a break from that would be nice.

It will be hot/dry and could be over 100 on some days in early June, but temps will settle into the upper 80s and low to mid 90s with mid 60's at sunrise. You might want to bring a light jacket/hoodie just in case but you probably won't use it. The rest of your wardrobe would be shorts and short-sleeved shirts. Bring sunscreen, too. You will burn easier at this high altitude.

2. How difficult is it to get around town? I’ll be flying in and won’t have a car.

If you stay in the UNM area you can get by w/out a car, but if you want to see more of the city and surrounding areas (mountains, pueblos, etc), you will need a car. The university area and downtown are high walkability, but everything else is spread out.

3. Any don’t-miss restaurants?

Go to the Frontier across from UNM. It's counter service, but very cheap and good food! I love their green chile cheese burgers and of course their signature cinnamon rolls. There are too many other places to list, so check out the restaurants thread.

4. Anything/anywhere I should stay away from?

Be aware of your surroundings at night. You'll be fine.

5. Do you have any other advice? Bring lotion and sunglasses, drink more water than you might be used to (it's very dry here), and give yourself time to acclimate to the dry air and higher altitude before going on a long walk/run or bike ride.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM

427 posts, read 1,310,825 times
Thank you!

How long does it usually take to get used to the altitude?

It looks like I'll be driving. Two days, 1200 miles. I'm used to driving 900 in one day from Nashville to Minnesota, so even though this will be a lot of miles, it'll be broken into two ~600 mile days.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 PM

963 posts, read 2,306,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
Thank you!

How long does it usually take to get used to the altitude?

It looks like I'll be driving. Two days, 1200 miles. I'm used to driving 900 in one day from Nashville to Minnesota, so even though this will be a lot of miles, it'll be broken into two ~600 mile days.
Unless you have a medical condition that affects your breathing, you may feel slightly winded on exertion in ABQ, but that pretty much clears up within the week if you're active. Just be careful about consuming alcohol and drinking enough water - here are some good tips: 2007 IEEE Pulsed Power and Plasma Science Conference --- High Altitude Tips

I drove cross country the first time I visited ABQ and limited myself to 400 or so miles a day - I really enjoyed the drive as much as the destination. I can remember all of the drivers I saw at rest stops who were putting in really long days on the road; they were a not a happy bunch.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 PM

427 posts, read 1,310,825 times
Heading home from my month in Albuquerque, and I have just one thing to say:

I *love* this town!

The weather is amazing compared to the heat/humidity of Nashville. Though it's hot, I've been able to get out and walk every single day. I haven't had a car -- the transmission blew out on the way here -- so I've spent a lot of time getting around on foot.

The food is great. Every day is something unexpected. Today, a veggie wrap with hummus *and* guacamole. (They work very well together.)

Nearly everyone has been open and friendly. It's very easy to strike up a conversation here.

And the natural beauty is indescribable. Hiking the Sandia foothills opened up one spectacular view after another.

Though ABQ has its problems -- such as a lot of homelessness and what seems to be an overzealous police force -- from what I've experienced in the neighborhoods around UNM, ABQ has a lot to offer.

I'll miss it when I leave, but I'm already planning a return visit this fall.

Thanks, ABQ!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 AM

686 posts, read 1,105,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
Heading home from my month in Albuquerque, and I have just one thing to say:

I *love* this town!

The weather is amazing compared to the heat/humidity of Nashville. Though it's hot, I've been able to get out and walk every single day. I haven't had a car -- the transmission blew out on the way here -- so I've spent a lot of time getting around on foot.

The food is great. Every day is something unexpected. Today, a veggie wrap with hummus *and* guacamole. (They work very well together.)

Nearly everyone has been open and friendly. It's very easy to strike up a conversation here.

And the natural beauty is indescribable. Hiking the Sandia foothills opened up one spectacular view after another.

Though ABQ has its problems -- such as a lot of homelessness and what seems to be an overzealous police force -- from what I've experienced in the neighborhoods around UNM, ABQ has a lot to offer.

I'll miss it when I leave, but I'm already planning a return visit this fall.

Thanks, ABQ!
Did you have a car, or did you get around on buses?

I moved here June 1, so the same timeframe as your visit, and I also love this place.

However, I will tell you that there are things to be aware of here, and the one that is most bothersome to me at the moment is the very real problem with property crime, ranging from vandalism to car and home break-ins and burglaries. I live in a house in the Altura Park / Sandia Ridge area (a very nice area), and I am dismayed by the crime reports around me. Three houses on my street, all stones throw from my house, have been robbed this month. Neighbors tell me this is unusual for the neighborhood, but even so, it is alarming. The thieves are brazen: they break-in in the middle of the day, and they aren't discouraged by alarm systems. I am still trying to wrap my head around this aspect of ABQ life...property crime is worse here than any city I have ever lived in, at least so far.

On our 3rd or 4th day here, we unwittingly witnessed the house across the street getting robbed. We were returning from a morning walk, and saw a minivan parked at the end of the driveway, garage door open. The house is for sale, and there had been activity there over the weekend (absentee owners sprucing up the yard, an open house). So when we saw some guy carrying tray tables to the minivan, while something didn't seem quite right about his behavior (he was looking down, avoiding eye contact with us), we had no frame of reference and no real knowledge of who belonged at the house. Turns out he was robbing it, on a weekday morning, for all to see...evidently he left right after spotting us, so the loss to the owners was minimized, but even so, I had never seen anything so brazen in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque