Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,065 times

Advertisements

Hello. I used to visit city-data a few years ago to read anonymously and, I believe, posted one or two topics. Aspects to Fourth of July have been on my mind and thought what better place to gauge residents' thoughts on the topic - fireworks.

Since I am now forty-five years old, I am officially considered "middle aged." I've always thought of myself a thoughtful person. Not always, however; as an early teen, I remember being fascinated by all the firework options in the mini-catalog that a friend and I had ordered. We did that for two or three years. It didn't pass w/o a couple of issues: that friend of mine threw a butterfly - a mini tube that was 1" in length and a hole near one end where a color flame shot out(like a small version of a welder's torch). Wherein, it spun in a very tight circle and looked cool(or pretty). My buddy threw a butterfly at me and as I turned, it got caught in my shirt, near the bottom of my back, pointing directly at my skin. There was another incident with a much larger butterfly that seemed to have a mind of it's own, directing itself towards a neighbor's front door. I digress.

No, this isn't confessional or whatever. I'm a resident of Albuquerque, gulf war vet, and owner of two awesome dogs that have changed my life. Maybe you see where I'm going with this. I know there are a large number of veterans here in Albuquerque, let alone, the whole state. Considering my sleep issues during the opened window months, I'm certain there are a lot of dog owners, too. While I do not have the data in front of me, I believe that fourth of July is hardest on veteran's of foreign wars and pets. Firecrackers, M80's, bottle rockets, et al., were the norm for 3-4 hours in my neighborhood. The city had the Freedom Fourth Celebration at Balloon Park, I believe. Is 'Freedom' in reference to America being free? Free, in very large part, because of servicemen's and women's lives and lives lost(my dad still hasn't really left Korea, if you know what I mean.)

Why are fireworks sold openly - under small tents in parking lots and I also think of that Gemini fireworks sign on Montano. Though, I have never stopped to see what was sold. For all I know, they're selling sparklers. But I doubt it. Why I have I never seen any acknowledgement of concern for veterans and pets during these days of fireworks? I understand the celebratory point of a city's official fireworks display. Has anyone not considered how it may affect veterans of foreign wars? Or, our pets for that matter. My hound is pretty sensitive to loud noises and stayed hidden most of the night. I did my best to filter out the noise.

How about hotels offer a major discount, if not free, to all veteran's of foreign wars on the Fourth of July?

I do apologize for the lengthy letter. Please don't consider this a diatribe or verbose venting. If I recall correctly, there are some intelligent and thoughtful people that come to this city-data forum. Please let me know what you think. Or, am I making too much of it?

Thank you very much for reading...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,922,022 times
From the City of Albuquerque web site: Firework Restrictions — City of Albuquerque

Quote:
illegal Fireworks

City of Albuquerque Ordinance prohibits the sale and use of all Aerial Fireworks and Ground Audible Devices within the city limits.

Aerial Devices
Aerial Spinners
Helicopters
Mines
Missile and stick type Rockets
Roman Candles
Ground Audible Devices
Chasers (bottle rockets)
Firecrackers
There are a lot of violations of the laws. I seriously doubt the problem will be eliminated, but some have been fined...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-06-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 06:04 PM

I think I read this morning that 17 people were cited(?), while the city received something like 1200 calls ?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,922,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkuvich View Post
I think I read this morning that 17 people were cited(?), while the city received something like 1200 calls ?
Something like that. They got less calls about fireworks this year than last year and less citations this year than last year. The citations are fines. Here is the article: Albuquerque fire department issues 17 fireworks citations | Albuquerque Journal News

Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 PM

I appreciate the all around feedback, Poncho.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM

686 posts, read 1,105,650 times
Where are people obtaining these illegal fireworks? I saw a gigantic tent set up in the KMart parking lot on Carlisle; can I assume they sell only "legal" fireworks. If so, where is the illegal stuff coming from?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Where are people obtaining these illegal fireworks? I saw a gigantic tent set up in the KMart parking lot on Carlisle; can I assume they sell only "legal" fireworks. If so, where is the illegal stuff coming from?
Moriarity.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 PM

267 posts, read 694,925 times
I'd guess most tribal lands don't have so much restriction on what fireworks are sold.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,317,091 times
My friends live in an East Mt community and with the type of folks who live there and the fire dangers, they didn't hear a single pop all night, much to the delight of their pets and the deer/bob cats who live in the forest around their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque