Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times

Advertisements

We have just spent time camping in AZ and NM and wrapped up our trip with a couple of days in Abq. really enjoyed the city, people and food. Loaded car down with goodies to take back to the land of bland cooking. Ate at Frontier, Pintos, Corrales Brewing, and a place on Central in Nob Hill name escapes me. All very good! Also went to Romas bakery downtown WOW yummy stuff especially fruit empanadas and they were super nice folks. In fact people all seemed very friendly we were impressed. There was one ****of a storm night before we left I've never seen such rain We looked at some areas of town for possibly in the future 2 years maybe? Would love thoughts on Corrales, Nob Hill and areas near Old Town. Lots of places seem to be a mix of nice and not so much is that common? We had a wonderful time great city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Lots of places seem to be a mix of nice and not so much is that common?

Yes.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Lots of places seem to be a mix of nice and not so much is that common?

Yes.
And there are lots of places that are opposite. That is nice about here.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. But I have a hard time imagining moving from Asheville to Albuquerque. I was in Asheville last fall and thought it had so much going for it. A very pleasant, beautiful downtown, great restaurants, clean, walkable, lively, with street musicians on almost every corner, and great art deco architecture. Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway and all of its natural attractions, and the North Carolina Arboretum is amazing, as well as the UNC-Asheville arboretum. You have a really great place there! I don't know why you would want to move here unless you really need to dry out, or can't get enough adobe, or something. I would like to live there except North Carolina overall is too humid (and conservative) for me. Asheville felt like a forward-looking breath of fresh air in the middle of the backward Southern Appalachian culture.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:31 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I've got one reason why the poster might want ta move ta someplace in New Mexico: Sun! Sun! And more Sun! My favorite color when I was a little boy was yellow. I was born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds, WA, which is about 15 miles north of Seattle. No, it doesn't always rain in the Puget Sound region. It does sunshine somewhat, and apparently it made a big impact on me when it did.

But Seattle sun and lack of heat can't touch New Mexico's climate. So hot here in Alamogordo that we have to run for cover sometimes. Our landlord just had a Lennox Central Air Conditioning system installed in our rental house. What a godsend, people!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 PM

688 posts, read 1,100,954 times
As someone who lived in the humid southeast US for my entire life, to me NM represents a huge, welcome change in terms of climate and also the cost of living (led by the lower cost of housing here).

Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. But I have a hard time imagining moving from Asheville to Albuquerque. I was in Asheville last fall and thought it had so much going for it. A very pleasant, beautiful downtown, great restaurants, clean, walkable, lively, with street musicians on almost every corner, and great art deco architecture. Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway and all of its natural attractions, and the North Carolina Arboretum is amazing, as well as the UNC-Asheville arboretum. You have a really great place there! I don't know why you would want to move here unless you really need to dry out, or can't get enough adobe, or something. I would like to live there except North Carolina overall is too humid (and conservative) for me. Asheville felt like a forward-looking breath of fresh air in the middle of the backward Southern Appalachian culture.
Asheville is a great place and I like so much about the city it is the only place in the south I would consider. BUT...I do not do well in such a humid climate, summers are misery for me. Asheville is an oasis in a very conservative state and I need a bit more blue. There is also little ethnic diversity in this part of the state which makes it rather bland in comparison to NM. There is something about the open spaces, the colors, mesas, the feel I get when I'm out there hard to explain but I feel good when I'm there. It is very, very green here lovely but at times claustrophobic woods are so dense. I love the NM long range views, blue, blue skies that seem to extend forever. I have lived in NC over 30 years many in Charlotte (did not like) and Asheville is so much nicer but I'm ready for a change and Abq.
appeals to me a lot. If there are negatives, always are, fill me in all comments appreciated.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I can understand the need to dry out, especially in summer. And the need for a change! Kind of how I feel after almost 25 years in the desert. I want rain! (Where is there a happy medium?) But when I was in Asheville last fall I had a surprise: I got ready for my usual morning routine of slathering on the moisturizers, and-- what what? No dry skin! Instead, soft, supple skin. I forgot what that was like, and how quickly the skin rehydrates when you get into a humid climate. So that will be a negative here, it is so dry that it really does do a number on your skin (if that matters).

Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM

688 posts, read 1,100,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I can understand the need to dry out, especially in summer. And the need for a change! Kind of how I feel after almost 25 years in the desert. I want rain! (Where is there a happy medium?) But when I was in Asheville last fall I had a surprise: I got ready for my usual morning routine of slathering on the moisturizers, and-- what what? No dry skin! Instead, soft, supple skin. I forgot what that was like, and how quickly the skin rehydrates when you get into a humid climate. So that will be a negative here, it is so dry that it really does do a number on your skin (if that matters).
Ahh, there it is. You need to visit Asheville in August, and in January, to get the complete picture. That part of the south, this past winter, had a horrible winter. And summers can be quite oppressive in the south, even in Asheville.

Asheville in the fall? Sure, that can be quite wonderful, but there are the other seasons to consider when you are looking at a place to live.

i used more moisturizers (mainly coconut oil) on my skin in super humid Charleston, SC, than I use here in ABQ. I expected it to be the other way around. In ABQ, I find it is more important to hydrate from the inside - drink H2O - than to apply anything to my skin. YMMV...

Old 07-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Ahh, there it is. You need to visit Asheville in August, and in January, to get the complete picture. That part of the south, this past winter, had a horrible winter. And summers can be quite oppressive in the south, even in Asheville.
January I can handle, grew up in Wisconsin so like snow and cold. We were able to do some cross country sking this year a real treat. Are there places to X country near Abq. or Santa Fe? It is the oppressive summers in the S.E. that do me in, overcast and damp this am which means wet blanket suffocation when the sun breaks through. We like to camp and hike which I cannot do in the summer here so we loved being able to do that on our recent trip. We have a teardrop camper so no air conditioning to isolate you from the warm/humid summer nights. Seems NM has the nice element of being able to go up in elevation to get a change of weather. I also love the heritage of NM we have visited some of the pueblos and historical sites. We camped at El Morro what an interesting place and so beautiful, from the top it is an awsome view! Oh, did I mention the food, I love the food is there such a thing as too much chiles? So far postives outweigh the negatives.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-25-2014 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Fixed Quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque