Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
While California has a three strikes, and you're out" law, it really means "two strikes, and you move to Albuquerque". Criminals start w/ a fresh slate doing that, and they prefer Albuquerque to other cities in N.M for the obvious reasons....someone w/ a lot of jail house tattoos doesn't really stand out like they would in a small town, there's a ready supply of drugs (and guns, apparently), the liberal leanings of the city mean they won't be ostracized (an unfortunate consequence of a liberal town, and I'm a liberal by any definition), etc. I'm not sure what it is going to take to change things there. For sure people need to let their voices be heard that things as they are are NOT acceptable. I don't see that though.
Everywhere I've looked says NM has it's own three strikes law.
Three Strikes Laws in Different States | LegalMatch Law Library
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 AM

And since you mentioned Portland, Albuquerque's crime rate in 2012 was about the same as Portland in 2007 FWIW, per City Data.

Portland Police have been busy, too.
http://www.portlandcopwatch.org/listofshootings.html

Last edited by funkymonkey; 08-08-2014 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM

686 posts, read 1,102,181 times
National crime rates have tracked lower for all over the US for the last 10 to 20 years; most theories center on an aging population committing fewer crimes. As the cited article points out, politicians and elected officials who "take credit" for a national downtrend in crime stats are playing games with the electorate.

Relative to the rest of NM, and relative to comparable cities in the region and throughout the country, crime in ABQ is still very high. Relative crime stats are the only relevant measure for comparing cities.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
National crime rates have tracked lower for all over the US for the last 10 to 20 years; most theories center on an aging population committing fewer crimes. As the cited article points out, politicians and elected officials who "take credit" for a national downtrend in crime stats are playing games with the electorate.
Nevertheless crime in ABQ has decreased considerably over the last 10-20 years.

Quote:
Relative to the rest of NM, and relative to comparable cities in the region and throughout the country, crime in ABQ is still very high.
Crime in Farmington is higher than ABQ (City Data). The overall crime rate is similar to Tucson. The violent crime rate is similar to Las Vegas, NV. The property crime rate is similar to Austin, TX. (Wikipedia)

Per wikipedia, ABQ is middle of the pack (#29 of 72) for violent crime compared to other cities with populations over 250,000.

I hope the crime rate continues to decrease.

I should mention that the state legislature is currently working to rewrite the criminal statutes to hopefully bring them in line with modern standards.
Thinking outside the box on crime | Albuquerque Journal News

Old 08-08-2014, 04:46 PM

520 posts, read 611,933 times
Quote:

Relative to the rest of NM, and relative to comparable cities in the region and throughout the country, crime in ABQ is still very high. Relative crime stats are the only relevant measure for comparing cities.
I'm close to agreeing with all of this. You are absolutely correct to note that crime rates are down nationwide and you need to evaluate cities (and politicians!) in that context. The only points I'd quibble about are the causes of the nationwide crime decrease and your description of Albuquerque's crime rate as very high. There's a lot of debate as to why crime rates are down. My favorite explanation is that it traces childhood lead exposure and that crime has declined since we eliminated leaded gasoline: America's Real Criminal Element: Lead | Mother Jones Here's another article walking through many different explanations for declining crime: Why Crime Keeps Falling - WSJ Finally, I wouldn't describe crime here as very high. It is above average, even high especially with respect to property crime. But our crime rates are not far out of the ordinary for a medium-size city.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
I'm close to agreeing with all of this. You are absolutely correct to note that crime rates are down nationwide and you need to evaluate cities (and politicians!) in that context. The only points I'd quibble about are the causes of the nationwide crime decrease and your description of Albuquerque's crime rate as very high. There's a lot of debate as to why crime rates are down. My favorite explanation is that it traces childhood lead exposure and that crime has declined since we eliminated leaded gasoline: America's Real Criminal Element: Lead | Mother Jones Here's another article walking through many different explanations for declining crime: Why Crime Keeps Falling - WSJ Finally, I wouldn't describe crime here as very high. It is above average, even high especially with respect to property crime. But our crime rates are not far out of the ordinary for a medium-size city.
As I have pointed out before, my greatest concern is with property crime (home break-ins, car theft, etc), and while I did not repeat that in the post you have quoted from, it is what I was referring to when I wrote "very high."

I like it here, but I do not understand long term locals who want to quibble over the property crime problem by trying to minimize it or to say it isn't "far out of the ordinary" compared to similar sized cities. When it comes to crime, being worse than average, but arguably no worse than some other city you can pull out of the stats, is not really something that should be spun positively.

Suffice to say the property crime rate here is high, period. And it is the one thing that bothers me the most about ABQ, but I am doing everything I can to safeguard my property, not because I value my property that much, but because of the inconvenience if it got stolen (especially my car).

Old 08-09-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Finally, I wouldn't describe crime here as very high. It is above average, even high especially with respect to property crime. But our crime rates are not far out of the ordinary for a medium-size city.
I've been doing some digging and found a few interesting things.
- Data on crime by city size from the FBI FBI — Table 16
- Data on ABQ crime rates here on city data. https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Mexico.html

I'll compare ABQ to cities with a population between 500k-999k in 2012.

- Albuquerque has lower violent crime rate (~750 vs ~870). Albuquerque was lower than average for murder, robbery and assault but higher than average for rape.

- Albuquerque is above average for property crime (~5367 vs ~4538). Burglary and theft were about 20% higher than average but auto theft was lower than average.

I also noticed that some the smaller towns in NM have higher crime rates than Albuquerque.
Gallup was the worst example I found.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:29 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
I like it here, but I do not understand long term locals who want to quibble over the property crime problem by trying to minimize it or to say it isn't "far out of the ordinary" compared to similar sized cities. When it comes to crime, being worse than average, but arguably no worse than some other city you can pull out of the stats, is not really something that should be spun positively.
Likewise I don't understand newcomers who claim to like it here, but are Debbie Downers who continually complain about the "property crime problem". Nobody has to move here if they think the property crime rate is unacceptable. I don't think I am trying to spin anything positively when I say it isn't something I think about that much. Just as other places I've lived with worse crime than ABQ, I get insurance, and then get on with my life. Before I moved here 25 years ago I never bothered to find out anything about "crime rates", it never entered my mind. I met some great people who lived here and loved it here, that was enough for me.

If people are concerned about crime, rather than complaining on a forum, they can join a neighborhood watch group, or create one for their neighborhood, join CrimeStoppers, or do any of a number of constructive and empowering things.

Stop Crime < Albuquerque Metro Crimestoppers | www.CrimestoppersNM.org

Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Albuquerque is above average for property crime (~5367 vs ~4538). Burglary and theft were about 20% higher than average but auto theft was lower than average.
I came across some data recently that indicates ABQ is one of the worst cities / metro areas in the country for auto theft, so there is some conflicting data floating around out there.

This was not the link I recently saw (can't seem to put my hands on that one) but this site similarly placed ABQ in the top 10 (worst) a few years ago, corresponding with what I read on the other site:

http://drivesteady.com/7-cities-wher...y-to-be-stolen

Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times
ABQ made the top 10 in 2008 and 2009, but not before or after.
Cities with the Highest Auto Theft Rates | DMV.org

ABQ was #20, with a downward trend, in 2012.
Car theft rates in the 380 biggest cities - NASDAQ.com

Auto theft is a problem for the auto owner any time it occurs, but it does not seem to be a horrendous problem in ABQ and the problem continues to decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque