Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,967,679 times

Advertisements

Many of these discussions about winter don't include personal needs and expectations. For someone who dislikes cold and clouds and snow, ABQ indisputably has better winters than the Northeast and upper Midwest. Sunnier, drier, shorter. But it does get cold and it can snow occasionally---I know it took me as a Northeasterner some time to adjust because I was expecting still warmer weather. Maybe ideal for many of us would be fall and winter in the low desert places like Phoenix and Palm Springs and spring and summer in ABQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 02:35 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,036,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Many of these discussions about winter don't include personal needs and expectations.
Ain't that the truth????

ABQ wouldn't have nearly ENOUGH snow for me!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:57 PM

1,568 posts, read 4,429,070 times
Towanda, you should have been here late last December. We had an incredible amount of the white stuff in two or three days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Ain't that the truth????

Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 PM

Yes, I saw the pictures. I wish there was that much snow every winter.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 150,593 times
Thank you all for your information. I think I will need to visit Albq in the winter to see for myself! We definitely have a lot less daylight here in Maine and our winters last MUCH longer than there. We don't officially warm up until May/June.

Can't wait to visit!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,725,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Many of these discussions about winter don't include personal needs and expectations. For someone who dislikes cold and clouds and snow, ABQ indisputably has better winters than the Northeast and upper Midwest. Sunnier, drier, shorter. But it does get cold and it can snow occasionally---I know it took me as a Northeasterner some time to adjust because I was expecting still warmer weather. Maybe ideal for many of us would be fall and winter in the low desert places like Phoenix and Palm Springs and spring and summer in ABQ.
This is all completely true. I have to admit that when I moved to ABQ originally, I expected winter temps more comparable to El Paso's / Las Cruces'...especially the late night / early morning very chilly temps that occur. However, I think once I settled in, I realized still - to me personally - incredibly more mild and temperate the winters were than I was used to in the Midwest, and how much I actually appreciated still being able to experience some winter weather...just not much!

But I also agree that ideally, I would like to winter in Tucson and then fall / spring in Albuquerque or El Paso...but really, I admit that is really splitting hairs! Currently wintering in the Milwaukee, WI area, I yearn for winter in ABQ!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,405,655 times
Quote:
Ain't that the truth????

Hey Towanda! I hope you aren't expecting Eldorado to have much more. It did snow deep enough one time and stayed long enough in the eight years I lived there that I was able to cross country ski around my house. But other than that, it was just enough to create black ice on the roads. But I didn't find myself missing snow like I do in WA. The blue skies and sun all winter were fabulous--I look forward to getting back to that instead of rain and clouds. You can always head for the mountains when you want snow.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Currently wintering in the Milwaukee, WI area, I yearn for winter in ABQ!
You're not missing anything tonight EP - it's supposed to hit the mid-teens!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Hey Towanda! I hope you aren't expecting Eldorado to have much more. It did snow deep enough one time and stayed long enough in the eight years I lived there that I was able to cross country ski around my house. But other than that, it was just enough to create black ice on the roads.
Interesting post. Let me see if I have this correct...

In 8 years in Eldorado you had ONE big snowstorm ... and EVERY other storm only created black ice???

This is contrary to information that I have had from many people, and what I have seen for myself in visiting the area for quite a few years in the winters.

It doesn't matter anyway ... one snow storm every eight years would be okay, because I am already totally psyched to accept and love Eldorado just the way it is.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,405,655 times
Quote:
Interesting post. Let me see if I have this correct...

In 8 years in Eldorado you had ONE big snowstorm ... and EVERY other storm only created black ice???

This is contrary to information that I have had from many people, and what I have seen for myself in visiting the area for quite a few years in the winters.

It doesn't matter anyway ... one snow storm every eight years would be okay, because I am already totally psyched to accept and love Eldorado just the way it is.
Well no need to get snippy T. I suppose everyone's definition of a storm might be different. Eldorado was a wonderful place to live, just never had snow that stayed except for a couple of times (and yes only once was it deep enough and stayed long enough to xc ski around my house.) Rarely had the problem with black ice in PA--when it snowed it stayed snow. WA is very similiar to NM--black ice--ugh. Next time I move I want to live where I can walk or take buses to work when the roads are icy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque