Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,213,177 times

Advertisements

Towanda: Excellent. That is precisely what my opinion is. (And I'm not just saying that because you're a moderator! Really!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 PM

177 posts, read 406,744 times
Skyscrapers per say are nit required, but a sure sign that a local economy is on the upswing it so see construction, that means cranes, concrete, steel, and yes, high rise buildings.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,225,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Well I too would like to see Albuquerque's downtown to grow. I want some new high rises--but for more than a skyline. I want there to be businesses and people in downtown to make it a vibrant fun completely Unique place. I want all the new high rises to be architecturally different than anywhere USA. Perhaps there is some way the buildings could be built with the culture in mind?
That would be great!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,995,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I think the issue with stars would be light pollution. (see: cities that are huge)
well i'm totally not being rude or smart with you, but dont you think that if people wanna see stars they should consider moving to the country instead of a city like albuquerque, i mean its growning..pollution will get worse.

i mean there are cities like santa fe, espanola, silver city and roswell that dont have pollution those would be better cities to check into.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,995,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Wow, dude, take a pill. I was just giving my opinion. No need to get your knickers in a twist. Having worked at Six Flags in Arlington every summer and some winters for about ten years, I have no special love for the place, being a big plastic overpriced series of advertisements, but to each his own. If you want Albuquerque to look like Dallas, so be it.

I don't understand this idea that to look like a 'real city', it has to have skyscrapers. I like the urban planning idea of spreading the city out, so that it has nodes away from downtown where people can find nearly everything they need nearby. It makes sense, especially with the high fuel prices which I fear are here to stay. Let's try to have a civil discussion without so many exclamation points. (!!!!!)

Also bear in mind that a big water park, especially in a dry climate like Albuquerque's, is going to use and lose a huge amount of water. I like water parks (they are fun), but in an area struggling with an ongoing drought, it might be better to do without.

well if gas prices are going up..dont you think that the city should grow inword..? and albuquerque is trying to conserve water for the future there is not really a drought in albuquerque silly there is a river that runs right threw town..its just that its growing so fast they wanna make sure it has water for the way future.. people would kill for a water park, ever been to the beach water park before it closed..? that place was crowded like major..and several studies are actually being taken by the city..to see how they can better serve us haha i think its funny. sorry i went all off on ya but take some deep thought... Look at this as well rio rancho is a city of 95,000 citizens, in late 2009 there are plans to build 5 large tall highrises and by then the city will only have say...115,000 people? dont you think it will be embrassing if that little city has bigger buildings?

Old 07-14-2008, 12:41 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,213,177 times
I wouldn't be 'embarrassed' if Rio Rancho had taller buildings than Albuquerque. I mean, so what? It isn't the only measure of a city, and Albuquerque has lots of stuff that Rio Rancho will never have.

I'm sure a water park has been and would be popular, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Just because Albuquerque has a river running through it doesn't mean that there isn't a long-standing drought in the Southwestern US, of which Albuquerque is a part.

No problem about your 'going off' on me. I was more amused than angry. You were just excited.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:53 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,040,008 times
I would love an outdoor water park so I dont have to go on the same water ride over and over at cliffs, and I wont use the indoor water park they are building cause thats no fun. I want the sun shinning on me.

We need skyscrapers downtown, both residential and commercial, we need restaurants,we need shopping,we need a grocery store,we need activities, and we need an arena. The more people living downtown in a high rise the less sprawl it creates, I would love to be able to walk to work or to the store, but downtown needs some cleaning up first, too many thugs, drunk kids,homeless and weirdos.

If its the soil that cant hold a skyscrapper then that is fine,atleast we have a reason why we dont have em and people can give it a rest but at least a few more mid rises taller than the bank building would do. I see Omaha,Louisville,Ok City,Tulsa, and those cities downtowns just look so nice,even Boise is getting in on it, all but ABQ.

Abq,El Paso and Tucson have the smallest skylines for their size, maybe its just the way the Southwest does it, I dont know.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 AM

17 posts, read 44,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
I'm all for the arena as long as zero taxpayer dollars are expended on it.
same here see those tax dollars on peoples homes go up ridiculous.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,921,202 times
catman and desert sun, both of your posts have intrigued me.

First, I view all cities in the Albuquerque Metro as Albuquerque. Rio Rancho to me is simply Albuquerque. Kinda like Tempe to me will always be Phoenix. However, I was under the impression that the new building wouldn't be highrises, rather midrises. The tallest building in Rio Rancho right now is 4-5 stories. They have a ways to go before they have a building that hits 10 floors.

I agree Albuquerque's downtown needs more going on. I would prefer some highrises (but not skyscrapers) just fill in the skyline a little bit, and to bring more people down there.

Yes, the Southwest (and west in general) have small skylines. Phoenix, for a city of its size, has a very dissapointing downtown. Several California cities are the same way. However, OKC's downtown really isn't that impressive. It hasn't had a big building built in over 30+ years.

Albuquerque does need a few more high rise buildings--if for nothing else, just to have a few new and modern touches. Why are people so sensitive to mild growth? Albuquerque will never be NYC, but why can't it be more like San Antonio? San Antonio has kept its culture masterfully with all of its growth.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,035,872 times
In San Antonio there are no mountains to block with high rises. That is the difference I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque