Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,697,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Recent news suggests Albuquerque is one of the best cities for riding a bicycle:

Albuquerque ranks among America's top biking cities | KOB.com

but one of the most unsafe cities for driving a car:

Study: ABQ is one of the most unsafe driving cities | KRQE News 13
--"Allstate didn’t have a theory as to why people in Albuquerque are getting more and more crash prone, but we do know that people in Albuquerque drive a lot and the streets are getting more crowded as the city grows."

Maybe more people should be riding bicycles in Albuquerque?
I don't care about reports. Even native New Mexicans think Albuquerque has horrible drivers -- and it does. They are either texting and/or DUI (alcohol and/or pot) or speeding for fun and/or not paying attention. I don't drive Fridays and Saturdays, if at all possible, and I don't drive during weekday rush hours -- or even during weekday lunch hours, if I can get away with it.

It's really bad here. No one has to do a report. Someone -- anyone -- just has to live here for a week.

Last edited by Fran66; 09-08-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,019 times
Quote:
You seem to be focusing on the probability of any one driver getting into an accident -- undoubtedly a questionable statistic to formulate from the Allstate study compared to ranking the cities from best to worst. If they had the data, a more fair comparison would be to factor in accidents based on miles driven.

However, there's no need to take into consideration miles driven when it comes to ranking the states from best to worst. Why? Because this condition applies to all levels of the independent variable (in this case, cities). Unlike a true experiment you can't control for the miles each person drives, but this is a field study. So again, you have to limit interpretations. The ranking of states is not one of these limitations because all the states likely have people who drive very little and those who drive a lot.
The fact is this "report" is completely invalid as a metric for ranking cities by who has the "best drivers". As you may know, the average miles driven by Allstate drivers in ABQ may be 15,000 where in some other city on the list it may be 9,000. I'm sorry if you don't understand that. By the way, this same report several years ago had ABQ drivers as better than average. The news report specifically says the DRIVERs are bad so of course that's the metric I'm questioning. You could conceivably calculate a metric of accidents per million miles driven for a metro area and have completely different results from this list.

Quote:
I'm not going to argue either way any further. I realize many people in Albuquerque do not like it when there's any evidence that suggests, as the news article did, that Albuquerque is unsafe for driving.
I have no idea if Albuquerque drivers are safer or less safe than other cities when it comes to accidents, but this report does nothing to illuminate the answer to that. I realize many people in Albuquerque want to think it is the absolute worst at everything and want to interpret any evidence they can to conform to that opinion. Sorry, I'm not going to let you get away with that. Maybe some data that looks at the whole population not just Allstate drivers and also uses the metric of accidents per million miles (rather than years between accidents per driver) would be more enlightening.

Last edited by funkymonkey; 09-08-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 PM

In 2010 the same report ranked Albuquerque 71st. Now, do you think it's more likely that the drivers in Albuquerque suddenly all got very bad (or the drivers everywhere else suddenly got very good), or maybe it's more likely that the report is using flawed methodology?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I don't care about reports. Even native New Mexicans think Albuquerque has horrible drivers -- and it does. They are either texting and/or DUI (alcohol and/or pot) or speeding for fun and/or not paying attention. I don't drive Fridays and Saturdays, if at all possible, and I don't drive during weekday rush hours -- or even during weekday lunch hours, if I can get away with it.

It's really bad here. No one has to do a report. Someone -- anyone -- just has to live here for a week.
In 2011 30% of automobile fatalities in NM involved alcohol impairment compared to 30% nationally. In 2012 it was 27% in NM vs 31% nationally.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811856.pdf

Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,066,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
In 2011 30% of automobile fatalities in NM involved alcohol impairment compared to 30% nationally. In 2012 it was 27% in NM vs 31% nationally.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811856.pdf
Fran has proven time and again to be an outlier. What she says most of the time is not based on reality.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM

71 posts, read 260,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
The fact is this "report" is completely invalid as a metric for ranking cities by who [sic] has the "best drivers"... I'm sorry if you don't understand that...
Like I suggested above, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Anyone believe KRQE News 13 was wrong for saying:

1. "...we do know that people in Albuquerque drive a lot"

2. "...and the streets are getting more crowded as the city grows."

???

Old 09-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Like I suggested above, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Anyone believe KRQE News 13 was wrong for saying:

1. "...we do know that people in Albuquerque drive a lot"

2. "...and the streets are getting more crowded as the city grows."

???
It's basic statistics/research methods, but believe whatever you want.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:01 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,697,853 times
Quote:

"In 2011 30% of automobile fatalities in NM involved alcohol impairment compared to 30% nationally. In 2012 it was 27% in NM vs 31% nationally.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811856.pdf "

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Fran has proven time and again to be an outlier. What she says most of the time is not based on reality.
If you look at the report that was linked, the total fatalities went up almost 5% during that time.

But better yet -- how about this (link below) -- or are they simply not living in reality? Every time I am 'out and about' in ABQ (like today, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., I see many cars speeding (Lead, Montgomery and Menaul are great ones for speeders going West/'downhill'), running red lights, and at least one accident -- fatal or not. Drivers actually get angry with me and flip me off for driving the speed limit (on surface streets -- however, on the 25 or 40, I keep up with traffic, because it's dangerous not to do so).

NM drivers ranked worst in the nation | KRQE News 13

You are SO defensive about NM that YOU don't tell the truth. And I'm curious: why ARE you so defensive, people? I love NM -- it's just has really bad drivers, among many other bad things. We are either dead last or within the last 4 states for teenage births out of wedlock, child poverty/food insecurity, HS graduates (we are dead last), and people on Medicaid.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
If you look at the report that was linked, the total fatalities went up almost 5% during that time.
4.3% overall increase vs 3.3% increase nationally. Alcohol-impaired fatalities in NM decreased from 104 to 97, almost a 7% reduction, whereas they increased by 4.6% nationally.

Quote:
But better yet -- how about this (link below) -- or are they simply not living in reality? Every time I am 'out and about' in ABQ (like today, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., I see many cars speeding (Lead, Montgomery and Menaul are great ones for speeders going West/'downhill'), running red lights, and at least one accident -- fatal or not. Drivers actually get angry with me and flip me off for driving the speed limit (on surface streets -- however, on the 25 or 40, I keep up with traffic, because it's dangerous not to do so).

NM drivers ranked worst in the nation | KRQE News 13
On the one hand, WalletHub.com. On the other hand the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Who has better statistics, I wonder?

Quote:
You are SO defensive about NM that YOU don't tell the truth.
Excuse me? I'm citing numbers provided by the federal government that are available for all to see. If I'm lying, the federal government is lying. I guess they're in on the conspiracy.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:47 PM

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1104.pdf

Reduction in crash fatality rate from 1990-2009
US: 2.1 to 1.1, 47% reduction.
NM: 3.1 to 1.4, 55% reduction.

NM Rank in 2009 for traffic fatalities per 100 Million Vehicle Miles 36th lowest (tied with SD, TN, WY).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: