Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times

Advertisements

In 22 years of criss-crossing New Mexico and driving through almost every reservation, the only place I ever got a ticket was on I-25 in Socorro. I was driving my parents' car with out-of-state plates. I was driving 6 mph over the limit in a "construction zone" where no construction was going on.

But seriously, Pooua, do something about that huge chip on your shoulder.

Maybe take some consolation that New Mexico is low on hate groups. Texas and Arizona have them out the wazoo: Hate Map

Number of active hate groups in NM: 3
Texas: 59
Arizona: 22

I have no doubt that there is some crime which is motivated by historical resentments against Anglos (given the historic practice of mutilation and genocide practiced by Anglos and Hispanics against Native Americans; and land-grabbing, discrimination, and forced assimilation of Hispanics and Native Americans by Anglos). But I can also say I have never met friendlier and more hospitable people than the Hispanic and Native American friends and acquaintances I have made here. Generally I have found Anglos to be more reserved and stand-offish. So it just depends on where you choose to focus your attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
I don't understand your use of the term "Anglo." You say that the Pueblo officers are Anglo, but they don't give tickets to Pueblo residents because they don't ticket their own. However, Native Americans are not Anglo, so your statement does not make sense.
The 3 times I have been pulled over by Isleta Police were all by Anglo Police. I am guessing that in a small community like Isleta those police officers know all the community members and probably shy away from issuing minor traffic tickets to those in the community. There are probably also Native American officers on the force also. 'Their Own' refers to the community members. Much easier to cite out-of-town'ers that they will not ever see again and will not fight the ticket because it is easier to just pay it.

Quote:
I'm afraid that I must stand by that. I faced too much of it in high school to deny it.
You may have certainly faced racism and/or bigotry as many have. I went to a HS that was primarily Hispanic and Asian. I faced racism/bigotry there also. That still doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the Sheriffs/State Police Department's investigate crimes only if you are Hispanic.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
anywhere south of I-40 is not a good area to live in. we live in the north valley and love it. hardly any crime at all. as long as you stay north of I-40 you'll be good and stay FAR FAR away from central to live. it's nice to see Central downtown to go eat, see movies, bars etc, but do not live near Central at all.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsa505 View Post
as long as you stay north of I-40 you'll be good and stay FAR FAR away from central to live. it's nice to see Central downtown to go eat, see movies, bars etc, but do not live near Central at all.
Seriously?

I lived on the corner of Central and Broadway from 2009-2010 and I loved it.

Never had a single problem ever.

It was a great location for a 5 min walk to downtown (which I did 3-4 evenings per week for dinner/night clubs), and easy access to I-25 for getting around ABQ. Loved it.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsa505 View Post
anywhere south of I-40 is not a good area to live in.
Discussed often, and just not true...

Rich

Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Seriously?

I lived on the corner of Central and Broadway from 2009-2010 and I loved it.

Never had a single problem ever.

It was a great location for a 5 min walk to downtown (which I did 3-4 evenings per week for dinner/night clubs), and easy access to I-25 for getting around ABQ. Loved it.
Uninformed people giving opinions like that do not help anyone. There are a few homes right off off of Central on Laguna and connected streets that most anyone would love to own.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,916 times
Default Crime and Underclass in Albuquerque

I have only been to Albuquerque the one time so it may not be the bigger picture of Albuquerque but I have talk to some people and they say there is alot of crime in Albuquerque and major drug epidemic problem in Albuquerque.

When I was in Albuquerque I seen alot of people drinking in public and people loitering.

Some of the people I talked to say robbery , B&E , car theft and other property crime is very high in Albuquerque .Also saying there is big drug problem and alcohol abuse in Albuquerque .

If this all so true about Albuquerque why is this the case ? Is Albuquerque the worse city in the south west for these times of stuff . Way more than San Francisco , Los Angeles or Phoenix ?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Is Albuquerque the worse city in the south west for these times of stuff. Way more than San Francisco , Los Angeles or Phoenix ?
Statistically the violent crime rate for albuquerque is greater than that in San Francisco, Los Angeles or Phoenix.

References:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

//www.city-data.com/city/Albuqu...ew-Mexico.html
//www.city-data.com/city/San-Fr...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Los-An...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html
Here is a list you might go through: Crime Related Threads In The Albuquerque Forum

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-11-2012 at 08:13 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM

34 posts, read 157,155 times
Smile My 2 cents

Hello Everyone!

Please forgive me, I have only read a little of this thread, but as a single female who has lived in Albuquerque now for 1.5 years (lived in Bernalillo for a year prior), I thought I'd contribute my 2 cents. With inflation, I guess it's more like 12 cents. Anyways...

I live in the West Park neighborhood, which is very close to Central, and while I had my car broken into once (probably kids - they stole my outdated TomTom but left the car stereo and $300+ worth of CD's), I have felt very safe and there has been virtually no crime. I have been out with friends at night in downtown Albuquerque, and there is such a heavy police presence, I feel also very safe. I have been out and about in downtown at different times, and have never been bothered. I know there are homeless people here but I just don't see them everywhere like I did in Seattle. I'm from Seattle, and walking downtown at any hour one is greeted by numerous drug dealers, homeless people, etc. Living there I rarely felt unsafe - not that nothing ever happened to me or crime never occurred. I did not own a car for the majority of the 18 years I lived in Seattle and walking around/taking the bus looking scared probably would have not worked in my favor.

I believe there is crime wherever you go - and granted, some areas will have more crime than others. I think it's worth doing one's homework, utilizing the links provided by members such as Poncho NM, if you really want to know the low-down on the crime in ABQ. And talk to people, but remain objective. Someone saying there is "alot of crime" in Albuquerque doesn't really tell you very much. I'm speaking in very general terms, but I just want to give a little piece of my perspective. I'm not saying my logic, my perception, or my interpretation of my experiences is perfect - I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

BTW, I love living here - it's beautiful, I can afford a house, the people are friendly, traffic isn't bad, and I really love the weather. I completely understand those who long for more rain - but, well, it's the desert! When I lived in Seattle I longed for more sun - and while there are many sunny beautiful days there between the months of July and August - it's a coastal city, and unending sunny days just is never gonna happen!

Peace

Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Statistically the violent crime rate for albuquerque is greater than that in San Francisco, Los Angeles or Phoenix.
Hay Poncho_NM those links are good at looking up stats about city like B&E , robbery , theft , car theft , assault and so on to just about any US city and you can see what city has the highest per 100,000 people.

Those other links you give has alot info about school , education , healthcare , jobs so on.

The government ,CIA,FBI ,DEA so on do not give info about alcohol or drug use per city .

So it just going to have to come down to personal opinion here on people who have gone to those cities.

From what I understand Los Angeles has very high unemployment 15% and out of control gang problem worse in the country.

But from what I understand Albuquerque and Phoenix have a big alcohol and drug problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque