Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,712,727 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving there.
Of course if I did I'd have to learn how to spell it.

I have an idea it is hot and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post

The worst part of living in ABQ is learning how to spell it...you are right.

As for the climate, yes, it is very dry but really not at all hot. There are few days in the summer where temps get much above the mid 90s, because it is dry it doesn't feel that warm and the nights are usually cool. The biggest problem we had with the weather was the horrible spring winds. Other than that, we have lived in 5 states since adulthood, none has the wonderful weather that you get in Albuquerque.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The biggest problem we had with the weather was the horrible spring winds.
Some people do not realize that... Yes, the winds are what I dislike, but it is not enough to even consider moving away.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:

It's not too hot and not to dry... Here are the Major Albuquerque Weather Threads:

Does the weather ever get old?
Poll: How Do You Feel About ABQ's Annual WEATHER?
Albuquerque Weather
Weather - Albuquerque - Sunshine Days
Cities with weather similar to Albuquerque
Windy Weather, Wind in ABQ
The first cold weather is driving critters indoors...
You might watch our local weather channels online:
KOB Pinpoint 4 Weather - New Mexico Weather, Albuquerque Weather, Santa Fe Weather | KOB.com
Albuquerque Weather News
Weather | Albuquerque News & Weather | Abq, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, NM | krqe.com

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
I consider anything over 85 hot so, in my opinion, it does get hot for several months of the year, but it is not hot the way Arizona or Texas are hot. It is quite manageable.

On the other side of the year, Winter is not terribly cold either. Only mornings are freezing cold, low 20s or lower are normal for at least a few months so you will own a full set of winter clothes here. Again, this is not Arizona or Texas.

As far as dryness, 10 inches of rain is considered a very wet year. Notable humidity is rare, a few days a year that higher than 60% at hours when the temp is high enough for it to make a difference.

If you hate extremes of temperature, but appreciate seasonality, Albuquerque is a fine climate.

tl;dr 92/66 typical July day; 42/20 typical January day; Spring and Fall are short but comfortable; winds are bad for a few weeks in Spring, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 AM

686 posts, read 1,102,668 times
Quote:

Not really either. I read somewhere ABQ averages 3 days a year over 100 - sounds about right for this summer.

As for the dryness, yes, there are days with single digit humidity, and lots of days in the 20s and 30s, but I read somewhere that the average year round humidity is in the 40s...today it is around 50 percent, and it is very pleasant outside, sunshine and 60 degrees - darned near perfect Fall day...

Old 10-23-2014, 12:04 PM

850 posts, read 3,719,374 times
I think whether it's "hot" for you will depend on where you're moving from. I moved here from the Northwest and the first summer was a challenge, but not as bad as I expected. For the most part it is a dry heat and days in the 90s are common in the summer, though when the monsoon rains come through it can get quite uncomfortable (that's especially true when you have a swamp cooler and not A/C, because it barely will cool your house).

Fall is very nice in the mid to upper-70s and cooling down at night, making sleeping temps very comfortable.

Winter can get chilly, but not that bad once the sun comes out. Snow isn't typically a problem and usually has melted by noon. My biggest complaint about winter is that everything is so brown and it looks very desolate.

Spring temps are comfortable, though like everyone has said we do have the spring winds. I don't find them as bothersome as others seem to have here. It is a challenge, though, if you're a runner--it does provide a great workout if you're heading into the wind! Just make sure you wear goggles.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,622,662 times
Albuquerque weather - Albuquerque NM weather

Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,712,727 times
Thank you all for your replies.
well as far as weather, Alb, sounds about ideal imo.
I lived in Hst for 16 years, and I actually like it hot, so alb would not be too hot for me.

And no snow! that is the best part!
I live in NJ now, have since 1994, and I hate snow.
I have gotten to not dislike the cold as much as I used to, I will make myself go out and walk in it, but -snow - ugh. You cannot go anywhere You cannot walk. you cannot park.

if the worst thing are the Spring winds (I didn't know about that), well that is not bad considering other parts of the country.

thanks again.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:18 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,454,438 times
In the interest of full disclosure, it does snow in Albuquerque. The "official" recording spot at the airport averages about 10 inches, but as much as two feet is typical in higher-elevation parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque