Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 11:07 AM

444 posts, read 821,142 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first Christmas here in ABQ. A lady at work said that I needed to buy my tree soon if I was going to buy a live tree. She said that the tree will sit in the store and dry out, and that trees sell quickly.

In the past, I would buy my tree the weekend before Christmas. But, I don't want to wait to long and either not get a tree or get a tree thats super dried out.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any recommendations about buying a christmas tree in ABQ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:44 AM

686 posts, read 1,103,126 times
By "live" tree do you mean a cut tree? Or a tree that can be planted in your yard, like one with a bulb attached to the base?

I am new here, too, and I am leaning against buying a cut tree. I saw a TV news piece the other day saying that most of the trees sold here commercially are from Oregon, Washington, or Michigan, and thus were harvested many weeks ago if not over a month ago. So it seems to me that these trees are far from live, and given how dry it is here, I don't see how they can last very long indoors. There are "locally harvested" trees from NM available, but they appear to be among the most expensive. The ones I saw were not very pretty, or symmetrical...YMMV

Finally, I am not sure how or where you dispose of a XMAS tree here. Does the city have pick-up days designated, or do you have to haul it off yourself? If the latter, by the time the tree has dried completely out, I can imagine you will be picking needles out of your vehicle for months to come...not really interested in that mess.

Hopefully locals will chime in here with advice.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,872,048 times
The best cut tree we ever got was a pinon pine from the Gila Wilderness area . It was sold at a Christmas tree lot. It was beautiful and lasted a long time. Remember, wherever you get them, you need to cut the base off an inch or so so it can get water.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,822,109 times
Our Son in Law use to get us our trees from various local forests with a permit.
http://albuquerque.about.com/od/attr...asTreeFarm.htm

Recycle: There are days for that. Last years page is here:
http://www.cabq.gov/solidwaste/event...tree-recycling

Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 PM

887 posts, read 1,217,701 times
As has been said, cut trees are harvested once. New, fresh batches are not brought in so any tree you get has been 'dying' for the same amount of time. I once cut a live one myself and I swear it did not last any longer than ones from tree lots. I will say this without reservation, if you can find Fraser firs on a tree lot they are the longest lasting trees you will ever find. I have often taken them down 3 weeks or more after Christmas and still hardly any needles fall off the things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: