Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,037 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to NM. My job would be in Moriarty. What is between Moriarty and ABQ in the way of suburbs, shopping, recreation? What are some recommendations on nice neighborhoods to live in (looking for 4BR houses)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:29 PM

293 posts, read 971,328 times
It's a straight shot from Albuquerque to Moriarty, right down I-40. From the eastern edge of Albuquerque it's about 40 miles. You'll pass through Tijeras (to the south) and Cedar Crest (to the north) and then Edgewood. Tijeras and Cedar Crest might be considered suburbs, but not if you come from a larger urban area. There are 1000 people living in Cedar Crest plus a small grocery store and some local shops - dry cleaners, ice cream, preschool, etc. Tijeras has only 500 people spread out among tons of canyons and thousands of pine trees. Tijeras has an elementary school and a library, plus a National Forest building. And that's about it. You'd want to go into Albuquerque for shopping. As for recreation... there's a lot of hiking and mountain biking on the east side of the Sandia mountains, so if you're outdoorsy, you'll love it.

Edgewood is a small town with almost 4,000 people, but it's 50 square miles so the population density isn't that great. I don't know if it would be all that different living in Edgewood versus Moriarty. They're both small and pretty rural.

If you haven't been to New Mexico, it's absolutely worth a trip out to take a look at the area. When I moved here we considered Tijeras and Cedar Crest on paper and quickly realized they weren't for us once we saw the area (absolutely gorgeous but serious remote feeling for an East Coaster).

Old 02-22-2015, 12:13 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
There are a lot of nice houses out that way, depending on your budget. I really like one area called Nature Pointe ( Nature Pointe ). I have no idea if there are any houses available or if you'd have to build, but there are plenty of houses in the areas of Tijeras, Sandia Park, Edgewood and others.

Edgewood has a Wal-Mart and a couple restaurants. Overall the shopping/services aren't very developed east of the mountains.

For recreation east of the mountains, there's hiking, skiing and a golf course (or maybe two). I'm not sure who's allowed to play golf there. Moriarity has a pumpkin patch it's fun to take the kids to in the fall.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:16 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlgirl83 View Post
I'm considering a move to NM. My job would be in Moriarty. What is between Moriarty and ABQ in the way of suburbs, shopping, recreation? What are some recommendations on nice neighborhoods to live in (looking for 4BR houses)?
I'd check out zillow and look at the Edgewood area west of Moriarty. Pretty spot for the most part. It's right at the transition from rolling hills and junipers to flat and grass. Plenty of houses available with large lots. Low density and minimal shopping and services. There really isn't much else until you cross the pass into Albuquerque.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:46 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Living where you work is a huge plus. From my limited searches at real estate in that area it seems the homes are priced quite a bit less than many places a bit west and most seem to have some acreage. Services and shopping are limited as another said. For financial reasons it would be a good place for me to explore for retirement. Personally I do not prefer the green side of the Sandias nearly as much as the west as far as what appeals to me visually.
It's kind of striking how different the same range looks from 14 in Cedar Crest compared to Tramway in Abq. One side looks green and serene and invites you to take a stroll at your leisure. The other side says I'm gonna kick your a$$ and leave you to statistics.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,037 times
Thank you all for the input. Coming from the east coast, I'm used to more of an urban feel. So I guess we'd need to look at areas where we're halfway between Moriarty and ABQ. Is that the Edgewood area that was mentioned above?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the input. Coming from the east coast, I'm used to more of an urban feel. So I guess we'd need to look at areas where we're halfway between Moriarty and ABQ. Is that the Edgewood area that was mentioned above?
Edgewood is just east of the Sandias. From my limited visits and occasional peeks at homes online the properties are generally wooded and larger. If outside of the 'rush' hours you are a fairly short drive into ABQ and shopping of all sorts. Rush hour is a relative term compared to what you are used to.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:47 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Other than Albuquerque itself, nothing between ABQ and Moriarty will feel particularly urban to someone coming from the East Coast. As several other posters have pointed out, the East Mountain area has a predominately rural (rather than suburban) feel basically as soon as one leaves Albuquerque heading east.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM

27 posts, read 48,057 times
Edgewood is a proto-suburb that stalled out years ago. I haven't been out there in a while but it used to have many of the conveniences. There are some really nice homes tucked in the surrounding woods so businesses pop up from time to time to serve the fairly affluent crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque