Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 4,143 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I've een on a year long sabbatical from from UNM - I am studying English and Computer Science there. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back to UNM as soon as I had planned, but I would like to continue taking some relevant courses.
I
I've been looking at CNM and I would like to ask anyone out there that is currently or has attended this school what it's like? Anyone taking English or Computer Science courses? How were they?

I understand that this college tries to prepare the students to eventually transfer to UNM; I attended the Los Alamos branch of UNM and I found courses there quite challenging and their offerings generous.

Any input, suggestions and comments are welcomed.

- Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 03:21 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,885 times
CNM is very decent in my limited experiences there. When I was still in undergrad engineering, I took many of my math prerequisites there. I found the math instruction there to actually be superior to UNM, and the professors were just as accessible as professors are at UNM. If you still have some math to do, I would recommend taking at least those. I also had a friend who took his introductory programming courses there and he did much better than I did at the similar courses at UNM. That was long, long ago, but It may be something to consider. You can also call CNM if I remember correctly for advising over the phone or schedule an appointment, which might be the best option to take to be able to get a full-view of a track you can take with transferrable courses. There is a schedule of classes on the CNM website that transfer directly to UNM, it'd be wise to consult that list as you plan classes and you should probably get an updated list of the required curriculum at UNM in case that curriculum has been modified during your sabbatical. All in all, though, I wouldn't hesitate to take courses at CNM if they are both transferrable and pertain to the UNM degree plan (or even if there is just something else that seems interesting as CNM classes can be very affordable!).

Old 08-16-2015, 03:27 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,193,444 times
Seconded as far as experience with CNM instructors being superior to UNM instructors for prerequisites.

Peeling off the credit hours without having to deal with a commute to the main campus was an additional selling point for me.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,455,553 times
Like most community colleges nationwide they don't pay their instructors particularly well so their long-term instructors are a mix of those who do it for the love of the job and those who are unable to get a better gig. Fortunately, there are a lot of people in the first group and a fair chunk of those are folks who are actually working professionals in their industries. CNM also draws a lot of UNM graduate students who may not be there for many years, but are hungry and fired up and in the process of developing the courses they'll go on to teach at four-year colleges a few semesters down the road. I agree with those who have posted above but I'd also caution that it varies depending on the program you're interested in. In any case, though, the price is right when you compare similar courses at UNM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: