Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:59 AM

134 posts, read 189,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

It has been so bad that I finally overcame my arachnaphobia because I didn't know anyone to call to come kill the dang things (I suppose that could be an upside to the issue). If the house has a lot of shrubbery against the walls and is not regularly treated for pests, you will see the small cockroaches and a lot of spiders. Lately I have large biting black ants coming in from outside. Rentals here are not required by law (like humid gulf coast states do) to treat for pests, so they don't until you complain enough that they bring the Orkin guy in for a treatment. My rental also has a peaked roof with attic space, and I often wonder if the suckers are coming in from there.
So, I'm generally ok with spiders. If they are gigantic I'll catch and release them outside. If small I let them alone to hopefully kill other bugs in my home that I Dislike more. I respect spiders. Having said that I've never encountered the venomous kind or been faced with a large infestation. Sounds like I should brace myself for some intense spider action in the house then?

Wow, NOT required to treat the buildings?! I would never gave guessed. That's a little nerve wracking after being in the South. Although of course now I remember that I never lived in a treated building in SF, not once. Never saw pest control at all there. Ha, it's indicative of my level of bug PTSD that I now fear living without having poison sprayed in my home on a regular basis. Another sign that I'm ready for my 'Southern Experience' to be over - so I can regain my sanity, among other things!

I have heard that ants are a problem in NM. They don't terrify me: we have them here too (of course!)and I've gotten adept with the Terro. But would be interested to know how bad they are in ABQ?

Last edited by alisonrs; 07-12-2016 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Hope you like spiders because this town is Spider Central.
Hmmm, ok. They don't terrify me but then I've never deal with huge amounts of them. Are we talking venomous, and are we talking large numbers coming indoors?

Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Roaches are alive and well here, but my impression is still that they are much less of a problem than they probably would be in Atlanta (or than they were back in Philadelphia, where I moved from). I have not had really major roach problems in any apartments here. It seems like it's actually possible to get rid of them with spraying.

I don't know what it's like to live right next to the Rio Grande, but based on living Downtown (which is not far from the river, relatively speaking) and further to the Southeast, I have had hardly any problems with mosquitoes. It's nothing like I experienced in Philadelphia. I can go an entire year without being bitten by a mosquito. I don't think that ever happened back east. Also, I almost never see the really large mosquitoes that used to like to perch above my bed and periodically swoop down to feast on my blood, in Philadelphia. (I did get good at figuring out where they waited. Sometimes they would be lower down on my mattress, just biding their time in between bites.) So I'd say it would probably be an improvement, but I can't promise absolutely no mosquitoes.
Good to know. I think we'll be avoiding the River when picking a neighborhood. I encountered mosquitoes in SF too, but not so many that it sent me into full neurosis like Atlanta has. A significant "improvement" is what I seek!

Old 07-12-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Now, not that is my business, but why have you decided you may want to live in ABQ? it is a great place in many ways, but the culture us 100% different than San Francisco or Atlanta.
The culture being 100% different from Atlanta is a major reason for choosing ABQ! We are looking for a radical change from Georgia. I'm not expecting ABQ to be a mini SF. SF is incomparable and unique in what it has to offer. Our interest in ABQ is in its own unique charm, mellow pace, climate, culture, affordability and the beauty of NM and the Southwest. Proximity to friends and family on the West coast is a factor too.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:47 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
The culture being 100% different from Atlanta is a major reason for choosing ABQ! We are looking for a radical change from Georgia. I'm not expecting ABQ to be a mini SF. SF is incomparable and unique in what it has to offer. Our interest in ABQ is in its own unique charm, mellow pace, climate, culture, affordability and the beauty of NM and the Southwest. Proximity to friends and family on the West coast is a factor too.
One minor faux pas you should be aware of.

To a New Mexican,

SF = Santa Fe.
LA = Los Alamos.
Las Vegas = town 2 hours NE of Albuquerque.

I don't know about proximity to San Francisco being all that great here. It's a 17 hour drive, or a 2 hour flight; either way, a hellacious commute.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
One minor faux pas you should be aware of.

To a New Mexican,

SF = Santa Fe.
LA = Los Alamos.
Las Vegas = town 2 hours NE of Albuquerque.

I don't know about proximity to San Francisco being all that great here. It's a 17 hour drive, or a 2 hour flight; either way, a hellacious commute.
Ha ha, thanks for pointing that out! I'll spell out San Francisco from now on.

We don't visit our folks in the Bay and SoCal all the time, so not "commuting", but a 2 hr flight to the Bay and less to Orange County sure beats the current 5-6 hours from ATL. It'll beat the cost from ATL too. My husband flies all over with his job and trust me, he regards a 2 hour flight as nothing. So yeah, I see us getting back there much more.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
a 2 hr flight to the Bay and less to Orange County
Be careful. Albuquerque has no nonstop service to SNA. None to BUR or ONT or LGB either for that matter. It's LAX or SAN for southern California, that's it.

Quote:
It'll beat the cost from ATL too.
Be careful here too. I realize it's inconceivable that something 3x as far would cost less, but ATL-SFO and ATL-LAX are far more competitive routes. United flies one crappy CRJ back and forth between ABQ and SFO a day, and you're lucky to get it for less than $300 one-way.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Be careful. Albuquerque has no nonstop service to SNA. None to BUR or ONT or LGB either for that matter. It's LAX or SAN for southern California, that's it.

Be careful here too. I realize it's inconceivable that something 3x as far would cost less, but ATL-SFO and ATL-LAX are far more competitive routes. United flies one crappy CRJ back and forth between ABQ and SFO a day, and you're lucky to get it for less than $300 one-way.
LAX is ok for us, not as good as SNA, but ok. In terms of cost, yikes! Maybe we'll have to do that 17 hour drive ! 😉

Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
LAX is ok for us, not as good as SNA, but ok. In terms of cost, yikes! Maybe we'll have to do that 17 hour drive ! 😉
It shouldn't come to that. Southwest runs multiple nonstops to Oakland and they're pretty reasonably priced if you book 3+ weeks out. Oakland's got better weather as an airport so it's not uncommon to see the morning Southwest OAK flight leave the gate after the United SFO flight, and arrive an hour or so earlier.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It shouldn't come to that. Southwest runs multiple nonstops to Oakland and they're pretty reasonably priced if you book 3+ weeks out. Oakland's got better weather as an airport so it's not uncommon to see the morning Southwest OAK flight leave the gate after the United SFO flight, and arrive an hour or so earlier.
Oh cool, thanks. That sounds like the type of option we'd take. It's an easy BART or Uber ride into the City from there. Doesn't Jet Blue also serve the Bay from ABQ or did I make that up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque