Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:25 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,967,679 times

Advertisements

Looks like spring is a little later in coming here this year EnjoyEP. So far no signs of any tree blossoming. At least not here up off Tramway. Got a couple inches of snow yesterday, but it was a quick melt off. Temps will be in high 50s around 60 this week, so we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
Trees outside my office are starting to bud

Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,725,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Looks like spring is a little later in coming here this year EnjoyEP. So far no signs of any tree blossoming. At least not here up off Tramway.
Ah yes, Sunseeker, that would actually make sense though.

Most of my posts (babblings! ) are actually in relation to the majority of the city of ABQ, however, bets are certainly off in terms of generalities as it applies to the areas around Tramway (and, to a certain extent, the areas east of Juan Tabo). Obviously, you folks in that area are in some of the most beautiful, one of the nicest areas of ABQ, however, your climate is actually an ENTIRE gardening zone lower than the rest of ABQ (yes, there is the "gardening geek" side of me coming out), as most of ABQ hovers between a zone 7 and 7b, but the areas in the foothills (near Tramway, etc.) are more a solid 6. That is what altitude will do for you.

So indeed, when my fruit trees would start 'er up at my house (around Osuna and Pennsylvania in the NE Heights) in late FEB / early MAR, when I would go running along Tramway, I would always observe that the trees there started a good 3 or so weeks later usually.

So I don't think (of course, I am not there in the flesh) that necessarily spring is running later, but I should've clarified that the foothills are kind of - due to being colder - a little behind the rest of the areas' vegetation.

The flip side though...the good side...is that in the summertime, it is also of course cooler up on Tramway! So when the rest of the city bakes under a 98 degree day, Tramway gets a 94 'er!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Enjoy EP-the 10 inches you stated for Albq,do you know what part of town that is recorded in?
The Sunport. The ABQ Sunport is the official measuring station weather-wise for Albuquerque.

The general rule is usually that ABQ averages 7-to-11 inches of snowfall...7 to 8 in the Valleys (North and South Valley), more in the range of 9-10 in the heights (Northeast and Southeast Heights, Westside - except for the West Mesa) - and then the areas east of Juan Tabo (and especially east of Tramway) and the West Mesa a bit more.

But the rough average of 10 is from the airport.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I didnt know it snowed the other day,thats the crazy thing,I am in North Rio Rancho and when it snows(the little that it does) there wont be any as soon as I get into Albq.,thats weird.The last couple times it has snowed it was gone before noon,but that is how it goes I guess.

A few days ago I got up at noon and I called my girlfriend who said it was snowing when she left the house in the morning,and I was tottaly surprised cause there was no trace of it.I would have never know it snowed just a few hours earlier that day.
Ah, the beauty of an ABQ snowfall. Typically, if you blink...you miss it!

Kind of a similar anecdote: I know that a few times...actually probably more like 4 or 5 times...living on the area of Osuna and Pennsylvania in ABQ's NE Heights, we'd have a coolish day at our house, maybe a hare rainy, etc., and then we'd head east (up in altitude) up Montgomery Blvd. to go see either our relative or babysitter who both lived east of Juan Tabo, and by the time we would cross over Juan Tabo, you could see a trace or an inch of snow on the ground. Even though it was only a few miles away at most, it was a completely different sight. Thus, we learned all about the "thermal zone" or banana belt of ABQ if you will, that being the Eubank Blvd. dividing line (east of Eubank being cooler and west being warmer, sometimes fairly significantly).

ABQ is a haven for weather geeks like me.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 AM

51 posts, read 200,635 times
Yes, it can definitely be a mixed bag in the spring, depending on your altitude. We were married in late April at a B&B in Algadones. The temps were in the 70's, the elm trees had bloomed (still early for the cottonwoods) and the flowers were amazing. We had a wonderful day and evening. That night it snowed in the mountains and high in the foothills, so when we went back to our apartment, there was snow on the ground.
We had a wonderful outdoor wedding one day and a snowball fight the very next morning!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:55 AM

Another one of my favorite things about ABQ is often in November and Dec. we would be at the park or riding our bikes in sweatshirts and then drive around the mountain and ski or just play in the snow. Nothing better than playing in the snow and then returning home to be able to sit outside and throw a steak on the grill!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
crna06 advised:

> Another one of my favorite things about ABQ is often in November and Dec.

Hey man! Wait for those months to be originated later on. I know it's hard to be patient, but you are just going to have to wait for our new moderator or you'll screw it up.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Ooops! Sorry. I forgot we were on March! There IS something to love about every month. March of course brings SPRING to ABQ!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
Saturday - which was March 1st for you technical people () was spectacular. Almost brought out the shorts but settled for the sandals instead. Then it totally turned around yesterday with snow, which was interesting too.

I don't understand the fronts here yet - on radar, it often looks like they swirl around us, sort of like the winds around the eye of hurricane, instead of blowing straight in, across and out. Is it the mountains causing the wacky looking wind patterns maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque