Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,440 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I currently live in Iowa, but there is a good chance that in the next month(s) I might relocate to Albuquerque, NM pending a good job interview and job offer. So if hypothetically that happens, I would like to hypothetically plan my relocation to NM.

I've never had to relocate to another state pending job offer, so any advice would be greatly helpful (i.e. how soon to change license, legal paperwork, etc)

A couple of things:

=The job would be right by the airport.
=My monthly rental budget would be about $800
=I am single (no family), so it should be easy...heck, my entire belongings fit in a suitcase.
=I won't have a car...yet (I do have a 21 year old car, but I will sell that if I get the job...it won't make it down to NM due to rust and has more than 202,000 miles on it)

I already did some extensive online search about areas in Albuquerque, and the general consensus is the the South area (by the airport) are very crime-riddled. Northeast and Northwest area seem to be safer...and more expensive.

=Anyone have any apartment recommendations ? I've gone through the existing threads and reviews, and they are quite polarizing. Some say X is good, while others say Y is good, some say X is really bad and Y is really bad :/
=Anyone has any recommendation about move out of state with a job offer for the first time ? How did you resolve your new address, license, etc...etc... ?
=For renting, do you need proof of previous rental experience and rental references ? I never really rented before! (I did live in a University-driven apartment complex while I was a graduate student...but I guess that doesn't count)
=Any advice on purchasing a used car in the area ? From dealer ? From private party ?

I will be visiting Albuquerque just for one day next week.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,823 times
I live fairly close to the airport, I rent a small house for less than 800 from a private landlord. I found the lower priced apartments to be more trouble than where I am now. Having not rented you may not know most corporate type complexes will expect proof of a job/income and generally want 3x your rent in monthly income. Private landlords are often more flexible. Regarding crime, if you are moving from a very safe small town you might not be accustomed to any crime, but if you have experienced places with actual bad crime (like LA, Detroit, etc), it won't seem like much here and most is avoided by common sense. However there are some neighborhoods that are better than others. I'm a middle aged disabled widow, I don't go looking for trouble so I usually can avoid it

Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,942,365 times
The issue of neighborhoods is complicated. I live in a "bad" neighborhood (basically just within the limits of the "War Zone"), but I have to say it's generally much quieter than some of the good but bustling neighborhoods I lived in previously (in Philadelphia).

You will probably want to get a car as soon as possible. There are only so many areas where getting around as a pedestrian and public transportation user works out well. As far as used car dealers, I've had good experiences with Melloy Nissan.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM

I definitely agree with the "complicated" description. It doesn't help that neighborhoods considered dangerous (and were) 10-20 years ago still have that reputation but may not be bad now, and that it can vary a lot over a short distance. Seeing the situation in person is important, and a lot depends on personal situation. There are places I would never live if I had kids, but might live in myself/with other adults. But in general I'd still say most places in ABQ don't even come close to the danger of many larger inner cities, so I think newcomers sometimes get scared by some of the descriptions they see. (Also add the obvious that crime can happen anywhere, most of the worst crimes I've witnessed or been prey to were in nice 'safe' neighborhoods, so you never know).

So to the OP, best of luck and I'm sure you'll find something acceptable, and the benefit of renting is you can move more easily if you hate it.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 PM

Oh and yes, definitely get a car if you are able to. Public transportation isn't extensive, some locations it's pretty much nonexistent and if you have wheels you can enjoy all the cool things to see outside of ABQ.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,512,830 times
Check out University Village $655/month and that includes utilities. Don't worry about the crime if you keep to yourself chances are no one will bother you. GL.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,110,888 times
I still might be moving over there on some pending job offers as well. Mainly local/daycab trucking gigs that operate in the west-side or along the 25 in the southside of the city.
Is it still possible to find single-story, affordable apartments anywhere in those areas? I'm not really into the whole, multi-story/level complex thing. And those hipster-ish, condo-boxes with all the bright colors are quite a turnoff as well.
For me, this will just be an in-state move from the Clovis area. Still kind of playing around with here, Lubbock, or even the Denver metro.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:06 AM

136 posts, read 141,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
I definitely agree with the "complicated" description. It doesn't help that neighborhoods considered dangerous (and were) 10-20 years ago still have that reputation but may not be bad now, and that it can vary a lot over a short distance. Seeing the situation in person is important, and a lot depends on personal situation. There are places I would never live if I had kids, but might live in myself/with other adults. But in general I'd still say most places in ABQ don't even come close to the danger of many larger inner cities, so I think newcomers sometimes get scared by some of the descriptions they see. (Also add the obvious that crime can happen anywhere, most of the worst crimes I've witnessed or been prey to were in nice 'safe' neighborhoods, so you never know).

So to the OP, best of luck and I'm sure you'll find something acceptable, and the benefit of renting is you can move more easily if you hate it.
Crimemapping.org shows crime stats for APD and can help gauge what crime level you are comfortable with. One thing that is true about ABQ is that it is very mixed as far as neighborhoods. Most violent crime happens between people you know. Random violent crime is rare. Property crime is sadly common, and just seems to be a fact of life here. As you point out it really is relative.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:09 AM

136 posts, read 141,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
The issue of neighborhoods is complicated. I live in a "bad" neighborhood (basically just within the limits of the "War Zone"), but I have to say it's generally much quieter than some of the good but bustling neighborhoods I lived in previously (in Philadelphia).

You will probably want to get a car as soon as possible. There are only so many areas where getting around as a pedestrian and public transportation user works out well. As far as used car dealers, I've had good experiences with Melloy Nissan.
Um, it's called "International District" now ever since the city councilor there (10 years ago??) petitioned the state legislature to change the name and post signs everywhere.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbus View Post
Um, it's called "International District" now ever since the city councilor there (10 years ago??) petitioned the state legislature to change the name and post signs everywhere.
Um, since when does an official name change determine what people call things outside of official contexts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque