Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times

Advertisements

How many bedrooms are you looking for? Some of the areas mentioned have decent 1 bedroom townhouse/casita type rentals with yards come up occasionally for well under $1,200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 10:50 PM

134 posts, read 188,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
In the neat, up and coming area of 12th and Mountain, at the crux of Old Town, Sawmill Area and Wells Park, I found two great rental houses for less than $1,200 a month on Hotpads, both are two bedrooms with yards.

https://hotpads.com/1310-claire-ct-n...d?price=0-1200

https://hotpads.com/1141-10th-st-nw-...d?price=0-1200

The area around 12th and Mountain features great restaurants, coffee shops, a bakery, art galleries, office space, etc. And with Old Town, the Sawmill Area and Wells Park all close-by you have even more within reasonable walking or biking distance including museums, breweries, shops and even more restaurants and art galleries.

I'd agree with your feeling that the center of the city is on an upswing and will only get better. In the Old Town and Sawmill Area new projects have opened like the luxury Hotel Chaco, apartments and townhomes, and the Sawmill Market is soon to get underway. New apartments and breweries have also opened in Wells Park in the last year. In and around Downtown proper you also have much activity going on including new restaurants, apartments, offices and entertainment venues. West Downtown is a hopping area, and East Downtown is doing great as well.

I live just south of Downtown in Barelas and I love my neighborhood. It is a little rough around the edges still, even though It has seen some gentrification. But it still has lots of good and unique attributes, charm and especially a strong culture and sense of place. I couldn't imagine living too far from downtown and I love the center of the city.
Both of those listings are very much what we will be hoping for, you nailed it! I'm hoping we see more like that after we arrive. And I'm hoping they actually look like that in person!

Also everything you said about the Sawmill District echoes my own interest in that area. Thanks for the intel and your own experiences!

Old 06-05-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
How many bedrooms are you looking for? Some of the areas mentioned have decent 1 bedroom townhouse/casita type rentals with yards come up occasionally for well under $1,200.
We need two minimum, three would be nice. Ideally we'd like a separate home office and guest room/hobby room. Any combo of bedrooms or bonus rooms would work. A one bed set up won't work for us unfortunately.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:20 AM

686 posts, read 1,101,684 times
I agree with a prior poster - $1200 is not a realistic budget for a decent 3 BR single family house. We rented a 3/2 until about 6 months ago a 3/2 house for $1700 a month, and I think that is a pretty fair rent and a more realistic budget target. We now live in an upscale apartment community and love it.

Even though you have seen some online house rental listings that sound good on paper, the reality of a $1200 house rental is that it is probably in need of major repairs and updates, does not have decent off street parking, is in a "rough around the edges" neighborhood, etc.

My advice: find an apartment with security controlled access. But if you really want to rent a house, you should get one with a usable garage with keyless remote door control. Crime in ABQ is a problem, particularly property crime - car break-ins, vandalism, and theft are bad all over the city, even in so-called "good" areas. Your best protection is to keep your car in a garage, or live in a security access controlled apartment community.

PM me for details.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
I agree with a prior poster - $1200 is not a realistic budget for a decent 3 BR single family house. We rented a 3/2 until about 6 months ago a 3/2 house for $1700 a month, and I think that is a pretty fair rent and a more realistic budget target. We now live in an upscale apartment community and love it.

Even though you have seen some online house rental listings that sound good on paper, the reality of a $1200 house rental is that it is probably in need of major repairs and updates, does not have decent off street parking, is in a "rough around the edges" neighborhood, etc.

My advice: find an apartment with security controlled access. But if you really want to rent a house, you should get one with a usable garage with keyless remote door control. Crime in ABQ is a problem, particularly property crime - car break-ins, vandalism, and theft are bad all over the city, even in so-called "good" areas. Your best protection is to keep your car in a garage, or live in a security access controlled apartment community.

PM me for details.
Food for thought. I appreciate your perspective and advice. We'll probably have to downsize our expectations given our budget. I cant see us in a gated community though, but garage etc all great advice, thank you!

No offense to anyone, but $1,700 a month for a rental in ABQ just seems nuts to me. We wouldn't be willing to pay that here in Atlanta, not even close, and ATL is a tornado of gentrification, jobs, strong economy... just sayin'...

Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 PM

520 posts, read 611,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
Food for thought. I appreciate your perspective and advice. We'll probably have to downsize our expectations given our budget. I cant see us in a gated community though, but garage etc all great advice, thank you!

No offense to anyone, but $1,700 a month for a rental in ABQ just seems nuts to me. We wouldn't be willing to pay that here in Atlanta, not even close, and ATL is a tornado of gentrification, jobs, strong economy... just sayin'...
Average housing prices in Albuquerque are actually a little higher than in Atlanta. $189k v. $182k. https://www.nar.realtor/topics/metro...-affordability That said, I think you don't need a $1,700/month budget unless you are pretty picky or need a big house. I would guess more like $1300-$1400. Depending on how much space you need, something like this could be a good fit: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...94_rect/13_zm/

Old 06-16-2017, 10:52 PM

686 posts, read 1,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post

Have you actually been here yet and seen in person what $1200 a month will get you in a single family home? A lot of the housing stock in ABQ is quite old and dated, poorly maintained. And some of the neighborhoods with the lower priced rentals are pretty skeevy.

Out here, you get what you pay for...just sayin'...

Old 06-17-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Average housing prices in Albuquerque are actually a little higher than in Atlanta. $189k v. $182k. https://www.nar.realtor/topics/metro...-affordability That said, I think you don't need a $1,700/month budget unless you are pretty picky or need a big house. I would guess more like $1300-$1400. Depending on how much space you need, something like this could be a good fit: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...94_rect/13_zm/
Thanks for the link. Yeah that's a nice little house, great location, that would check a LOT of boxes for us!

We are gonna have to look hard at our budget. We'll be looking at rentals in person in under two weeks.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:04 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times
We live in the East Mountains (on the top of a small mountain) with the view of larger mountains all around. Sandia Park is the name of the area.... you can also see some great properties in Cedar Crest and Edgewood. We're 20 miles from Albuquerque but safer (IMO) and quiet though with amenities close by. Very little to no crime problems; beauty all around, quiet & peaceful and lovely views from every window. NE Interstate 40 has smaller no problem traffic; NW I-40 can be intense/road rage, shots. I would look at the E. Mountains, also far north Tramway to Paseo del Norte (and everything north of that section and north of Paseo del Norte (and just south of Paseo del Norte). You may want to live near the Rio Grande River area (very green & beautiful) which is on Rio Grande Road (which is north off of I-40W). Another area is Corrales which is lovely. If you are a Democrat, this is your place. I am a Texan & my husband is from Louisiana. We have all manner of amenities out here. Any questions, ask away. As for housing costs out here, we bought a 3/2 three year old 1700 ft manufactured house sitting on top of a mountain with 1 acre and our house payment is $625 a month; very affordable. You might want to look at the newspapers: The Independent, The Mountain Telegraph; as well as looking at real estate companies in Cedar Crest (mountainous) & Edgewood (more flat terrain).

Last edited by Northanna_2001; 06-24-2017 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: write it better

Old 06-24-2017, 01:07 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times
You might want to take a look at Albuquerque on Google Earth to see the landscape of the areas you're interested at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque