Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:22 AM

134 posts, read 189,300 times

Advertisements

We are a middle aged couple moving to ABQ in June and trying to figure out where to focus our efforts to find a house to rent. We've visited the city before.

We are both remote workers, no kids or pets. So, commuting, schools etc. are not an issue. We're both college educated and left leaning.

We are hoping to rent a house in a neighborhood with a nice mix of folks, especially creative types. We'd like to find the ideal mix of a cute house on a peaceful, pleasant street but with good walking and biking proximity to the things we love. We are trying to avoid a car-centric suburban experience or a homogenous 1%er neighborhood: Rio Rancho and the far NE Heights seem like a no no.

Our budget is up to $1,200 a month, but like everyone else, we'd like to spend less. And, like everyone else, crime is a concern for us.

Things we love: arts, breweries, coffee shops, bars, live music, farmers markets, hiking, restaurants... we're a typical childfree couple

I've been thinking that Mandells, Raynolds Addition, Wells Park, Sawmill, Duranes and Near North Valley might all be good fits. I was wondering if we should also look at West Mesa? I know that Nob Hill may seem the obvious choice for us, but I'm not convinced it's worth the price tag and my sense is that the downtown area has more going on, and more going in. Proximity to the river recreational areas is also a plus for the areas I've mentioned.

Am I on the right track or are we ignoring some other great choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,703,721 times
You might add Old Town, West Park and 4th Ward (Mary Fox Park area) to your searches. Duranes and Near North Valley are a bit further off from amenities to walk to.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
You might add Old Town, West Park and 4th Ward (Mary Fox Park area) to your searches. Duranes and Near North Valley are a bit further off from amenities to walk to.
Noted! Thank you, good suggestions. I had actually saved Mary Fox Park on google maps as a reference point, but didn't know the name of that neighborhood.

Last edited by alisonrs; 05-05-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 04:15 PM

196 posts, read 213,381 times
I'm curious to know if the OP found a rental home for $1200/mo. I've looked online, and things at that price look a little downtrodden. The homes that look nicer, updated, etc. seem to rent for at least $1500/mo.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:44 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,722,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
I'm curious to know if the OP found a rental home for $1200/mo. I've looked online, and things at that price look a little downtrodden. The homes that look nicer, updated, etc. seem to rent for at least $1500/mo.
I know that there are some advantages to renting over buying, however, if one knew they were going to be in Albuquerque for at least a few years, at that rental range, I would encourage people to just consider buying in ABQ. The price of housing for what you get is extremely affordable still, and the property tax rate is still quite low. You can buy more of a house for the dollar than you can rent, it sounds like!

Old 06-01-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post

Haven't moved yet! But interesting to hear that $1200 a month might not necessarily get us something nice, hmm, bummer. Will post what we eventually find!

Old 06-02-2017, 03:33 AM

312 posts, read 278,051 times
I came from out of state and rented last December after months of lurking online, watching the market. I do not think $1,200 is a realistic rental price for a decent neighborhood and house in OK condition, sorry. More like $1,550 up. That was the low end of my search, anyway. Was hoping for $1,700. We ended up paying more but it is a big place with a big yard. Apartments are a different story, of course.

Overall, I'd say prices are fair. From L.A., so of course it's like a steal to me.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
I came from out of state and rented last December after months of lurking online, watching the market. I do not think $1,200 is a realistic rental price for a decent neighborhood and house in OK condition, sorry. More like $1,550 up. That was the low end of my search, anyway. Was hoping for $1,700. We ended up paying more but it is a big place with a big yard. Apartments are a different story, of course.

Overall, I'd say prices are fair. From L.A., so of course it's like a steal to me.
Wow, ok. That's definitely disappointing to hear: I clearly need to re-calibrate our expectations. We're not going higher than $1200 so we'll prepare to have less than we were hoping for. We only need a small house and yard, but we do want it to be in nice shape and in a good neighborhood. Online it looks like there is great stuff for around $1200, but clearly the reality of these places isn't so great. Phew, alrighty then!

Old 06-05-2017, 01:26 PM

78 posts, read 87,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
Wow, ok. That's definitely disappointing to hear: I clearly need to re-calibrate our expectations. We're not going higher than $1200 so we'll prepare to have less than we were hoping for. We only need a small house and yard, but we do want it to be in nice shape and in a good neighborhood. Online it looks like there is great stuff for around $1200, but clearly the reality of these places isn't so great. Phew, alrighty then!
I do believe you will find what you are looking for, but suspect, based on my experience, that it may take longer than you want and you will need to be here in person to find it. Gems still exist, but I think they are found by becoming and "insider", ie, knowing people, living in a neighborhood, meeting people & joining the Nextdoor group, working locally and networking, Meetup groups, etc.

You may consider getting a nice apartment for 6 months while you look for that perfect rental house. Most house leases are minimum one year, so it's worth finding a place you want to stay for a while.

I did finally find a new place and am moving in this week. Victory Hills neighborhood. After telling literally every single person I have ever met in Albuquerque what I was looking for, in the end it took sitting on CL and refreshing the screen every 10 minutes, then driving right over and luckily connecting quickly with the property manager. I managed to be first in line and make a good impression -but there were 8 people clamoring for the place after me.

Until you are here, it's very hard to really know what a neighborhood is going to feel like TO YOU. Lots of people will have advice about "good neighborhoods" but everyone values different things. It comes down to more than what can be conveyed by pictures and stats, for me at least, it's a vibe. Vast areas of ABQ feel like sprawling suburbs with strip malls as a dominant feature. It's often hard to find a single tree in the backyard of a rental, which I find depressing. But that's me.

I wish you the best and hope you stay optimistic!

Old 06-05-2017, 02:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,632,416 times
In the neat, up and coming area of 12th and Mountain, at the crux of Old Town, Sawmill Area and Wells Park, I found two great rental houses for less than $1,200 a month on Hotpads, both are two bedrooms with yards.

https://hotpads.com/1310-claire-ct-n...d?price=0-1200

https://hotpads.com/1141-10th-st-nw-...d?price=0-1200

The area around 12th and Mountain features great restaurants, coffee shops, a bakery, art galleries, office space, etc. And with Old Town, the Sawmill Area and Wells Park all close-by you have even more within reasonable walking or biking distance including museums, breweries, shops and even more restaurants and art galleries.

I'd agree with your feeling that the center of the city is on an upswing and will only get better. In the Old Town and Sawmill Area new projects have opened like the luxury Hotel Chaco, apartments and townhomes, and the Sawmill Market is soon to get underway. New apartments and breweries have also opened in Wells Park in the last year. In and around Downtown proper you also have much activity going on including new restaurants, apartments, offices and entertainment venues. West Downtown is a hopping area, and East Downtown is doing great as well.

I live just south of Downtown in Barelas and I love my neighborhood. It is a little rough around the edges still, even though It has seen some gentrification. But it still has lots of good and unique attributes, charm and especially a strong culture and sense of place. I couldn't imagine living too far from downtown and I love the center of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque