Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,941,275 times

Advertisements

https://www.abqjournal.com/1015405/u...-interest.html

Thoughts?

To me, it looks like Anywhere University. The old logo with the image of Mesa Vista had more relationship to the things that make UNM unique. UNM campus architecture with its blend of Native American and Spanish elements is at least some sort of reflection of what makes UNM and New Mexico culturally distinctive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:49 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,476,958 times
OMG! I agree with you. Something out of a high school or third party/ fake printer would do with a legitimate logo. BORING! I can do better with my logo maker. I think I will play around with it and send in my recommendation. LOL.

I think the problem is that the font is too 'informal'. Serifs tend to age text IMHO. I wish some graphic designers could weigh in here. What is wrong with even having a font created specifically for UNM? There are tons of artists who could/would do it.

I agree with your statement about the NA and S elements reflecting UNM /NM cultural distinctiveness. I created a website here in the state using a Mimbres motif and although it took a great deal of time, I was finally able to reconcile a font with the picture logo and it was, as you say, reflective of, yet not competitive with, the essence of Mimbres art.

What is so hard to understand about these basic concepts of design? I'm not an expert, but clearly they have chosen the concept of 'university' over the concept of 'New Mexico'.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerq...necessary.html

We don't need no stinkin' Philly ad agency rebranding UNM.

(Note: for those who aren't aware, I'm from Philadelphia.)

Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I think the problem is that the font is too 'informal'. Serifs tend to age text IMHO. I wish some graphic designers could weigh in here. What is wrong with even having a font created specifically for UNM? There are tons of artists who could/would do it.
That's one of the official new fonts. I don't like it. Not sure why exactly. But I think it's too chunky for me, for something that's going to be used all over the place.

Quote:
I agree with your statement about the NA and S elements reflecting UNM /NM cultural distinctiveness. I created a website here in the state using a Mimbres motif and although it took a great deal of time, I was finally able to reconcile a font with the picture logo and it was, as you say, reflective of, yet not competitive with, the essence of Mimbres art.

What is so hard to understand about these basic concepts of design? I'm not an expert, but clearly they have chosen the concept of 'university' over the concept of 'New Mexico'.
Sadly, I think that's true.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,765 times
Blah. I liked the old one so much more. Speaking as a future UNM student.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM

201 posts, read 292,111 times
Ugh, what a joke. I saw someone propose this logo as an idea awhile back (maybe on the local reddit sub?). It unanimously received negative feedback from online users, but it seems that mattered little to the "committee." Really generic logo and reads to me as: "NM - U." Yuck.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
It is generic, I'll give you that.

And the font is traditional, but that is not the problem. The problem is the proportions. Even with the necessary font size difference for the design, the vertical elements on the 'U' are elongated relative to the unusually wide looking 'N' and 'M'.

The whole thing looks disproportionate and like it was half-a$sed in MS Paint. Big fail in my opinion.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
"Halfway into the University of New Mexico’s $1 million advertising blitz"

"The University of New Mexico’s new logo is a done deal."

Well... I thought they could come up with something better when this whole issue initially came up.

A bit expensive..

Don't they have art students at UNM? Or would that just clutter everything...

Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,454,235 times
Definitely not distinctive...University of Anywhere is a good way to describe it.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:36 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they were to replace the (controversial) official seal with a variation on the old logo, perhaps reworked to look more "sealish." (Heavier lines?) I think a university seal with a representative image drawn from campus architecture might be a good replacement for the existing seal (if it is replaced), because of the emphasis on a positive meeting of cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque