Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 03:36 PM

85 posts, read 134,407 times

Advertisements

I have reached out to chat men I have spoken to say they have something to do with refurbishing or being a mechanic for or something else related to motorcycles. I am very afraid of them and I know s men who was a part of a fatal accident with one. Is it going to be a predominate part of the local culture! I am relocating to Albq...in about ten days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 04:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
I have owned motorcycles on and off for over 40 years. I was also motorcycle mechanic years ago.

I don't think its predominate part of the local culture... It is just your vision... I think we have more pick-up trucks than motorcycles, but I could be wrong.

If motorcycles bother you, just learn to ignore them.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:29 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,516,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable8484 View Post
I have reached out to chat men I have spoken to say they have something to do with refurbishing or being a mechanic for or something else related to motorcycles. I am very afraid of them and I know s men who was a part of a fatal accident with one. Is it going to be a predominate part of the local culture! I am relocating to Albq...in about ten days.
Are you afraid of the motorcycles or the men who ride them? I'd stay away from Alameda since you've got the Harley and Indian dealership close together.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Are you afraid of the motorcycles or the men who ride them? I'd stay away from Alameda since you've got the Harley and Indian dealership close together.
Sorry, but that is ridiculous... I have been driving down Alameda, a major road, several times a week for over 15 years... Motorcycles are not a dangerous issue (if such an issue even exists).

If you are worried about motorcycle dealers/stores etc there are over 15 in the Albuquerque area.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:57 AM

137 posts, read 134,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable8484 View Post
I would urge you to consider speaking to someone since the trauma of losing someone to a motorcycle accident has caused you to fear motorcycles altogether. People driving cars entirely too fast and aggressively are probably more of a concern than people on motorcycles in Albuquerque. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:02 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,523,382 times
I would urge you to consider speaking to someone since the trauma of losing someone to a motorcycle accident has caused you to fear motorcycles altogether. People driving cars entirely too fast and aggressively are probably more of a concern than people on motorcycles in Albuquerque. Best of luck to you.

I agree with this explanation!

Old 09-28-2018, 08:29 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,195,632 times
This is one of the strangest phobias I've ever heard of (motosykletophobia?). It's on par with nephophobia (the fear of clouds).

I hate motorcycles in general, so maybe I have that condition (phobias can refer to hatred as much as fear). Still, Albuquerque is nowhere near as bad for those as much of the rest of the country.

90% of my distaste for them is the amount of noise and disturbing the peace a minority of them cause. Blaring out 130dB at 3am on a school night and waking up my baby makes me want the government to enact a law reducing the maximum sentence for clotheslining a motorcyclist disturbing the peace after hours to a $5 fine.

Try sleeping (or working next to an open window) in NY, DC, or San Francisco, and have those jerks break your concentration with the force of 10 big rigs or 4 jet engines as their unmuffled engines build and reverb off the brick buildings and sidewalks.

Their pollution also irritates me, with one motorcycle contributing more to particulate pollution than 100 cars, and somehow this is an area the government declines to regulate.

But I don't fear them. When one blows past me making all sorts of noise and popping wheelies, I get a warm-hearted sense of all the organ transplants that will result from one more unhelmeted moron's buying it when their luck runs out. In a way these riders will save more lives than I ever could.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Their pollution also irritates me, with one motorcycle contributing more to particulate pollution than 100 cars, and somehow this is an area the government declines to regulate.
Your comment is ridiculous, unfounded and just pure bunk...

i would like to see some real proof of your folly.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:20 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,246,418 times
I am 54, single, and would love a BMW GS1200 and keep thinking about it every week, and have since I moved to NM 5 years or so ago. However, I know me, and I will die if I buy one. Many more careful people than me have been injured or killed thru no fault of their own.
I am no motorcyclist, but I know the perfect "motorcycle state" and that has to be New Mexico. A lot of open space, old roads, beautiful scenery and vistas, and cheap hotels for road trippin.' I totally get why so many around me have motorcycles. I totally get it.
Now if I can only get that BMW bike out of my head.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your comment is ridiculous, unfounded and just pure bunk...

i would like to see some real proof of your folly.
That last sentence is a head-scratcher. If you're sure I'm wrong, why would you like to see real proof I'm wrong? Makes no sense.

In any event, this article from the trade literature largely backs me up, as they compare a Toyota Corolla and a Yamaha BWS across the board on emissions. Figure 5 shows the two-order-of-magnitude difference in particulate emissions.

http://lat.eng.auth.gr/particulates/...ae20030087.pdf

Figure 7 breaks it down by particulate sizes.

It's quite simple. A 2-stroke engine (which many motorcycles still use) creates a lot of particulates and is too simple to screen them out. A heavy 4-cylinder car engine creates almost none, at least since the US started regulating car manufacturer emissions.

Now obviously there's going to be some cleaner motorcycles and dirtier cars, but probably more the reverse, particularly now that a growing percentage of cars don't even run their engines a lot of the time, and car regulations have gotten even stricter.

Why is it that with some people, breaking down their misconceptions with documented facts is just as bad as calling their momma ugly? If you're a proud motorcyclist, own it, warts and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque