Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 04:50 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for one that takes household items. Most I've contacted take clothing or antique furniture. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
I don't think consignment shops exist for household items; too complicated and low-margin to make the business model work. Ooh wow.. an old unmatched dinner plate from the 1980's that cost $2 then, with chips out of it.. sure, let's charge $5 for that when they cost $2 new at Walmart without scratches. And give $4 to the person who consigned it.

You're probably looking at pawn shops, garage sales, or craigslist/eBay. "Household items" is a really vague category which screams to me "donation" or "trash" rather than "consignment".

Plenty of thrift shops will take and sell household items that have been donated for the tax write-off (Goodwill and Assistance League of Albuquerque are two of many), but they don't consign most used "household items".

It's funny how a lot of people won't pay a penny more than they need to for their stuff, but they expect others to pay 90-500% of the purchase price of their used goods, and shops to store, present, and sell those goods for free.

If "household items" is actual good stuff, then please accept my apologies. If not, the salad shooter with original box and instructions? I'll let you sell it on consignment for 20% of $0. Just put it in the big blue bin out front and someone will be by to pick it up.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:00 AM

137 posts, read 134,256 times
You might be able to post some items on Nextdoor, Facebook Marketplace, or LetGo.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I'm looking for one that takes household items. Most I've contacted take clothing or antique furniture. Thank you.
"Unfortunately, there is not a set legal definition of "household items." "

https://www.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawyer...de-927237.html

Old 11-16-2018, 05:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
It never ceases to amaze me what some people will buy at yard and garage sales! Many times paying more than the item(s) sold for new.

I notice several consignment shops in the Albq area (search on Google) that appear to handle "household items." I'm assuming the key to getting a consignment shop to handle your items is two-fold: the item has unusual value and is likely to be a quick seller.

Usually these shops trend toward the trendy - mostly art decor, jewelry, collector's sets/objects, and antiques.

As has been stated - the best chances for selling the ordinary are internet sites like Ebay, Etsy, Craig's List, etc. And local thrift shops usually take donations - not consignments. The latter will normally give you a receipt for reasonable value of the item(s) that can be used when itemizing "charitable donations" as an income tax deduction.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque