Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times

Advertisements

I'm keeping close tabs on how cold it gets in ABQ. My friend in Tijeras sent me a photo of her property covered in one foot of snow, but that's the east mountains, so that doesn't count (to me) for what's going on in the ABQ area, mostly north up to Bernalillo.

My weather app says it's going to hit 3 and 4 degree lows this week with some highs not hitting even getting up to freezing. However, it looks like this will only last a week or so. Another weather site said to expect "blizzard conditions" in ABQ. Really? Blizzard? I see blizzards as snow so heavy, going sideways, so thick, you have to abandon your car on the freeway and hope to make it home somehow. I know some people who had to do this one time in Montreal...which is where I get my perception of what a blizzard is. How much snow have you gotten so far inches-wise? With highs staying so close to freezing, I don't see how it can melt...right? Will it stay for a while? How long, usually? But my real question is if I've asked too many now:

Can you tell me if it's relatively common for lows in the winter to get into the single digits in ABQ up to Bernalillo? (I'm thinking along the I-25 corridor approximately.) How often do cold fronts like this occur in the winter? And which month or timeframe is it the coldest in winter there?

Thank yous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:49 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
This is the first serious snow we've had in years. This used to be normal, and used to happen throughout the winter. So when you ask about "how often does this happen in the winters", well, this winter may be a back-to-normal winter, but that doesn't mean future winters will be like this.

Local forecast says Saturday afternoon will be sunny, not sure if it will be warm enough to melt away the snow, but Monday will see another snow front happening, followed by sunny days for the 2nd half of the week. Temps are expected to get into the single digits at night, but will warm up toward the end of next week, into mid-30's to low 40's during the day. Today hovered around 20, in Santa Fe.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-28-2018 at 07:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Snow on Dec 28, 2018 at Rio Rancho, New Mexico. Photos by R. Sanchez
41 pictures at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho...57705130392614

IMG_2759 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_2726 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_2740 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Bernalillo, NM 10 Day Weather

A few days will be down to 7 and 9 degrees.

You can follow it here: https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USNM0029:1:US

Old 12-28-2018, 11:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I have about 4 inches of snow in northern Rio Rancho (up high) but expected a bit more. This snow and coming cold is a bit unusual. My goldfish pond hasn't frozen over solid in two years but might this week.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Most of ABQ got little or no snow but a lot of wind out of the "blizzard". It was nothing close to an average snowstorm of my New England memories much less a blizzard, although road conditions in places were treacherous. Cold snaps like this (several consecutive days below freezing) don't happen every year. While out for a walk yesterday I got to practice my skating technique on the icy sidewalks.

When I got up this morning it was 9 degrees in Albuquerque, same as Minneapolis. The sun is shining brightly.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:52 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
I'm out of town for the holidays as usual. But have not seen any snow on the weather cams of Old Town and downtown - both close to may house. When other parts of the ABQ metro get snow, there is generally none at my house which is less than 5000 feet elevation.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:57 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
We had a high of 27 yesterday here in Placitas. We had maybe 2 inches of snow and a lot of wind, which led to a nice glaze on the roads.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:24 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times
Thanks, everyone, for your bird's eye view of the blizzard, ice, snow, and temps!

I'm getting all my questions answered with your posts, so it's good so many are contributing. I guess I had A LOT of questions all bunched up. I really appreciate the details, like your elevation, location, etc. It makes all the difference.

I used to live at about 500 feet elevation, and we'd have a foot of snow, hard to get out of the driveway, but 5 minutes away at 200 feet, the freeway had a dusting that looked like powdered sugar and didn't even pose a slip hazard. And now we live at 300 feet about 6 miles south, get some snow but the freeway gets nothing. MIcroclimates and elevation have much to do with what different people experience in a very small area.

So...Placitas got 2 inches and was 27 degrees...interesting since this is the area that particularly interests me.

What is glaze? I suspect it has to do with a light coat of ice that can wreak havoc, like was mentioned.

It's good to know this kind of weather isn't all that common. By common I mean happens throughout winter, ho hum. I love the photos, thanks!

Old 12-29-2018, 02:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
So...Placitas got 2 inches and was 27 degrees...interesting since this is the area that particularly interests me.

What is glaze? I suspect it has to do with a light coat of ice that can wreak havoc, like was mentioned.

It's good to know this kind of weather isn't all that common. By common I mean happens throughout winter, ho hum. I love the photos, thanks!
That's what you get with a little snow, wind, cars traveling over the snow, some sun, and temps that don't rise above freezing. The snow starts to melt but never does.

It's sunny here today, about 29 as I write this, and the ice and snow on the roads is melting and evaporating.

Twelve years ago today, the weather was a little more challenging.

Last edited by jiminnm; 03-09-2022 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque