Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 AM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,706 times

Advertisements

From the article:

“He's now facing multiple charges including shoplifting and escape

. Olguin also
had two outstanding warrants for battery on an officer.

The cost of the items he stole was $3.48.”

Bolded. Yeah, sure, he was arrested for the dinner rolls.

I know people who have lost their businesses due to chronic unenforced shoplifting and burglary. Can we stop with the disingenuous headlines/stories?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.krq...lls/1774180294
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:17 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,188,570 times
I'm sure Walmart will absorb the loss without too big a blow to their bottom line. Makes you wonder about the logistics: do the dinner rolls sit in a police evidence locker growing mold and feeding cockroaches?

You can be arrested for something when you have a warrant for something else.

Career criminal or not, I'd have a really hard time jailing someone who steals the cheapest food they can find. What if he had a family to feed?

Most LP will look the other way when the dollar amount is under a certain amount, often as per corporate policy. They must've just gotten sick of the guy doing it, or perhaps he wanted to be caught and they obliged him.

"Amateur criminals rob banks. Professional criminals start them."

Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I'm sure Walmart will absorb the loss without too big a blow to their bottom line. Makes you wonder about the logistics: do the dinner rolls sit in a police evidence locker growing mold and feeding cockroaches?

You can be arrested for something when you have a warrant for something else.

Career criminal or not, I'd have a really hard time jailing someone who steals the cheapest food they can find. What if he had a family to feed?

Most LP will look the other way when the dollar amount is under a certain amount, often as per corporate policy. They must've just gotten sick of the guy doing it, or perhaps he wanted to be caught and they obliged him.

"Amateur criminals rob banks. Professional criminals start them."
That’s not the point. He has a history of attacking cops which means he probably wouldn’t have a problem attacking someone more vulnerable. If it were an issue of someone being hungry of course, they need compassion. This guy is violent and yet the article goes out of their way to point out he was arrested for stealing food and trying to bury the fact he has done much worse and that is why he was arrested. This is disingenuous on part of the news organization and lacks integrity on part of the reporter.

As I said, there is not much enforcement of shoplifting so I doubt stealing the rolls was what landed him in jail. But don’t worry Zoidberg, I’m sure he will be cut loose quickly anyway so he can be free to do whatever he wants.

By the way, there are plenty of places he could walk into and get bags of free food for himself and/or his theoretical starving family, without resorting to stealing. And it would be more nutritious than a bag of rolls. But I guess you don’t care because it’s evil Walmart, so just stuck it to the man.

Last edited by Cat5e; 02-13-2019 at 06:40 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,188,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
That’s not the point. He has a history of attacking cops which means he wouldn’t have a problem attacking someone more vulnerable.
That the psychology degree talking? Seriously, I've known a number of people with a "history of attacking cops" and they wouldn't hurt a fly. The cops often force the situation by violating their civil rights (and history is written by the victors). If you're having a public mental illness episode, there's often no worse an omen than the police showing up, since many escalate situations that need to be calmed.

Quote:
If it were an issue of someone being hungry of course, they need compassion. This guy is violent and yet the article goes out of their way to point out he was arrested for stealing food and trying to bury the fact he has done much worse and that is why he was arrested.
He wasn't arrested for warrant violation. The news article is accurate, and you're splitting hairs to complain about it.

Quote:
This is disingenuous on part of the news organization and lacks integrity on part of the reporter.
I won't comment on pending litigation, but I'm the absolute last person to defend KRQE's integrity in reporting. This report looks fine by me.

Quote:
As I said, there is not much enforcement of shoplifting so I doubt stealing the rolls was what landed him in jail. But don’t worry Zoidberg, I’m sure he will be cut loose quickly anyway so he can be free to do whatever he wants.
If you don't want to live in a police state where 2% of the population is in prison, then you have to let some people do exactly that. Remember how they called it the land of the free? Practice what you preach and ease up on the small town journalist, who'd probably love to afford those dinner rolls.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
That the psychology degree talking? Seriously, I've known a number of people with a "history of attacking cops" and they wouldn't hurt a fly. The cops often force the situation by violating their civil rights (and history is written by the victors). If you're having a public mental illness episode, there's often no worse an omen than the police showing up, since many escalate situations that need to be calmed.

He wasn't arrested for warrant violation. The news article is accurate, and you're splitting hairs to complain about it.

I won't comment on pending litigation, but I'm the absolute last person to defend KRQE's integrity in reporting. This report looks fine by me.

If you don't want to live in a police state where 2% of the population is in prison, then you have to let some people do exactly that. Remember how they called it the land of the free? Practice what you preach and ease up on the small town journalist, who'd probably love to afford those dinner rolls.
Clear where you stand, I’ll leave it at that. I edited my post, probably while you were replying, to include the word “probably” wouldn’t have a problem attacking more vulnerable people.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:01 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,342 times
I heard Walmart implemented a zero tolerance policy for shoplifters. They will prosecute for $3.49 rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque