Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 AM

47 posts, read 70,925 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're visiting in June for a vacation/gathering at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya. I'm getting the retirement/relocation itch, so even though I've never been to Albuquerque, I also want to check things out. What neighborhoods/suburbs should we tour for potential retirement spots?

We appreciate areas that:
  • are "safe"
  • are walkable
  • have high speed internet (do I have to say this anymore?)
  • are near a university/college
  • have a liberal vibe
  • are not age restricted
  • have a good school system *
* We're older parents who may retire with one still in school.

BTW, much will depend on how I take the heat. Generally, I strongly dislike hot weather, but I'm mostly familiar with hot+humid areas. What is life like in the summer? Do people rush between the house AC and the car AC?

Also, we're techies. So if someone wants to tell us about the opportunities for software engineers and tech marketers/tech managers/program managers/etc. that might be of interest, too! (I can search job sites, but things like what sides of town have good commutes to the likely work areas...)

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 11:01 AM

17 posts, read 10,126 times
I heard there's a hot air balloon fiesta in Albuquerque. not sure how often it is though

Old 05-02-2019, 12:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicWander View Post
I heard there's a hot air balloon fiesta in Albuquerque. not sure how often it is though
There are various balloon events...

The most famous is the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta their website is at: https://balloonfiesta.com/

It will run from: OCTOBER 5-13, 2019

Their schedule: https://balloonfiesta.com/files/gall...0-19_no_CS.pdf

Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 PM

16,160 posts, read 10,844,061 times
You are visiting in our hottest month so don't draw a hasty conclusion. There might be a day or two that reaches 100 degrees but humidity might be single digits. I and most other people use an evaporative (swamp) cooler, not AC. I was skeptical at first but it does a great job at a fraction of the cost. AC is available in newer homes but some transplants jump to AC without realizing that there is another option. Desert nights are cool so I only run the swamp cooler about ten hours a day. This is high desert and the heat isn't like in Arizona and the humidity is usually very low. The sun will get to you before the heat will. Winters are short and mild with sunny, 50-degree days quite often. Night temps are often in the 20s. Snow lasts a few hours or maybe a day or two.

You will probably want to live on the same side of the Rio Grande as your workplace. Traffic is generally not too bad but the bridges are bottlenecks.

I live only a few miles from the Tamaya in Rio Rancho and I like the area as a retiree. I live in a sparsely developed area and would not call it "walkable" except for the sake of exercise. Some Albuquerque areas would be walkable to cafes, bars or stores. There are no real safety issues and the Rio Rancho schools are good. The University of New Mexico is in Albuquerque. There are several campuses for CNM community college. I don't know what internet speed you need but it seems adequate for my needs -- but I'm not a techie. New Mexico is a pretty much a blue state and Albuquerque is reasonably liberal. I seldom encounter anyone who is very extreme one way or another. The general attitude seems very tolerant and nonjudgmental. It is a multicultural place with several languages spoken and nobody really cares.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 PM

312 posts, read 278,836 times
Nob Hill is walkable. No doubt you'll end up there at some point and have a nice time. It gets plenty hot in the summer, like most places. Albuquerque is an easy place to live.

Read through the local threads, everything you want to know is found here. Be seeing you ...

Old 05-02-2019, 06:34 PM

329 posts, read 513,494 times
I don't think the bridge on I-40 is a bottleneck in itself for the morning rush hour commute.

It's the merging of Coors traffic onto I-40 eastbound and that damn sun that slows traffic (and the crashes, there are lots of crashes).

On overcast days (which I cherish), my morning eastbound commute is usually easy.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:13 AM

548 posts, read 1,220,332 times
If you will have a school aged child you plan on sending to public school, I highly recommend looking in the La Cueva school district, which is considered the best one in Albuquerque. That district is in the far NE side of town, which is safe as well and not a bad commute to most places. What is your budget?

Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 AM

A balloon ride is already booked.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
If you will have a school aged child you plan on sending to public school, I highly recommend looking in the La Cueva school district, which is considered the best one in Albuquerque. That district is in the far NE side of town, which is safe as well and not a bad commute to most places. What is your budget?
(Pops open real estate site.) Damn, there's some money in that area. I'd prefer to pay less, but could go to $600k. Serious views would help sell my wife. (I saw some at $625k)

Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
This is high desert and the heat isn't like in Arizona and the humidity is usually very low. The sun will get to you before the heat will.
Got it. So even if it feels comfortable, watch out and wear sunscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque