Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:04 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,353,347 times

Advertisements

I spent the summer in Albuquerque two years ago and have returned. I thought some might be interested in my take on the changes and what I didn't notice then but I do now.

Homeless: I don't see any. They used to congregate in parking lots, in front of drug stores, 7-11s etc. Kudos to the city. It's a knot few have managed to untangle. Either I haven't been back long enough or this is the reality. I do see them at traffic lights but some argue they are not really homeless. It's just a business.

Car scene: There are a lot of clunkers on the road. Saw a C300 the other day and had to do a double take. There just aren't that many luxury German cars. Actually, there are a lot fewer imports on the road compared to where I come from.

Women: New Mexico women are, how can I put it, "wholesome." They are big and rough and don't seem to care in the least what the current fashion is. They are the type you'd want to be with on a cross country road trip. And what's up with the tattoos? I have seen more tattooed women in two days than I see in two years. Maybe it's part of the wholesomeness.

Massage parlors: In a one-mile stretch I saw 4 massage parlors. Life must be tough here.

Shopping: I have a much more positive experience with shopping than last time. The Coronado mall is really nice full of useful stores that you can actually shop. Uptown is nice too. Don't get me wrong. Albuquerque will never be confused with glitzy cities. "Town Centers" are all the rage in the east and the Uptown seems to be a half-hearted way at that.

Old Town: For as much attention that it gets, there's NOTHING there. I was there Friday night while the Fiesta was going on. All the stores were inexplicably shuttered, not to mention the whole place was so run down. Anywhere else, and the place would be bustling with shoppers. Odd time to go home.

You can't beat the weather though. Near perfection and certainly no wind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Old Town: For as much attention that it gets, there's NOTHING there. I was there Friday night while the Fiesta was going on. All the stores were inexplicably shuttered, not to mention the whole place was so run down. Anywhere else, and the place would be bustling with shoppers. Odd time to go home.
Historic Old Town has been the heart of Albuquerque since the city was founded in 1706. Today, Old Town is the city's cultural center, with numerous museums and more than 100 shops, galleries and restaurants. Some threads of possible interest:
Albuquerque Old Town
OLD TOWN ALBUQUERQUE
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html

Old 06-09-2019, 09:01 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Albuquerque will never be confused with glitzy cities.
A lot of us like it that way.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:11 PM

461 posts, read 925,034 times
i like old town quite a bit. they have some amazing restaurants, a beautiful plaza, cool events, and a nice light display around the holidays.

there are still plenty of homeless people everywhere.

women aren't bad, if you go to better places, the people look better and take better care of their appearance. that's what i've found.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM

60 posts, read 50,612 times
Quote:
I spent the summer in Albuquerque two years ago and have returned. I thought some might be interested in my take on the changes and what I didn't notice then but I do now.

Homeless: I don't see any. They used to congregate in parking lots, in front of drug stores, 7-11s etc. Kudos to the city. It's a knot few have managed to untangle. Either I haven't been back long enough or this is the reality. I do see them at traffic lights but some argue they are not really homeless. It's just a business.

Car scene: There are a lot of clunkers on the road. Saw a C300 the other day and had to do a double take. There just aren't that many luxury German cars. Actually, there are a lot fewer imports on the road compared to where I come from.

Women: New Mexico women are, how can I put it, "wholesome." They are big and rough and don't seem to care in the least what the current fashion is. They are the type you'd want to be with on a cross country road trip. And what's up with the tattoos? I have seen more tattooed women in two days than I see in two years. Maybe it's part of the wholesomeness.

Massage parlors: In a one-mile stretch I saw 4 massage parlors. Life must be tough here.

Shopping: I have a much more positive experience with shopping than last time. The Coronado mall is really nice full of useful stores that you can actually shop. Uptown is nice too. Don't get me wrong. Albuquerque will never be confused with glitzy cities. "Town Centers" are all the rage in the east and the Uptown seems to be a half-hearted way at that.

You can't beat the weather though. Near perfection and certainly no wind!
Must be there during the wrong time of the year. Wind can be bad! City has destroyed Old Town on purpose to help stop crime!

Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
City has destroyed Old Town on purpose to help stop crime!
What the hell are you talking about? Please stay in Luna County.

Some may see Old Town as "run down" but that is the patina of age on adobe-style structures which is part of the atmosphere and charm of "OLD" Town. If you want something glitzy try the Vegas Strip.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 PM

16,191 posts, read 10,868,537 times
I like exploring Old Town and that's what it takes. You have to explore the area around the plaza and you might find something new and interesting each time. A block or two more and there are the museums.

I don't think I would know were to look for glitzy. That's quite OK.

It would be good to think the homeless problem is under control but I don't think we are there yet.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,638,906 times
There is nothing rundown about Old Town at all. It is a very nice area filled with tons of restaurants and shops. The problem with Old Town is that it is so geared toward tourists and doesn't really have much of a local element to it. That keeps its establishments from really being open late or during odd hours.

I really wish the city would allow for some residential development in the few large parking lots that exist in Old Town in order to get a large residential base into the heart of the area. However, Old Town Albuquerque is just like a smaller version of Santa Fe or Taos, where new development is stymied with excessive design rules and a brutal review process.

The adjacent Sawmill District, West Downtown and the areas on Central west of Rio Grande are the only real chance Old Town has to become a locals-focused area where pubs, restaurants, shops and other establishments will be open much later and not geared toward tourists.

Luckily, those areas are booming with new development, especially residential.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:29 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Please stay in Luna County.

Some may see Old Town as "run down" but that is the patina of age on adobe-style structures which is part of the atmosphere and charm of "OLD" Town. If you want something glitzy try the Vegas Strip.
Agreed. drleephd6530 appears to be a New Mexico newcomer with a goal in bashing everything in New Mexico except in Luna County...

Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
Must be there during the wrong time of the year. Wind can be bad! City has destroyed Old Town on purpose to help stop crime!
Uhm.. Any citation to that?

I really would like to know. Because I live 7 blocks from the plaza @ 16th and Lomas. The surrounding area is growing. New Hotels, New restaurants, new business....etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque