Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,330,637 times

Advertisements

This is my second TDY here so I start noticing things I didn't before, that includes cars I haven't seen since college. LTD, various 80s and 90s Toyotas, and today a Ramcharger! It was in the shape you'd expect it to be. How do they ever pass inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 09:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This is my second TDY here so I start noticing things I didn't before, that includes cars I haven't seen since college. LTD, various 80s and 90s Toyotas, and today a Ramcharger! It was in the shape you'd expect it to be. How do they ever pass inspection?
We have a lot of car shows in the area....

A video I did of: 31st Annual NMCCC Classic Auto Show, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVEzkpL6Os&t=128s

Old 06-29-2019, 02:21 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,800,086 times
How about we wait until 2019 finishes before we compare it with 2018?

About the reasons for stealing cars, they fall into the following categories:
- joy riding
- drug addicts who will steal anything that they think they can sell (whether a whole car or things inside it) for any small amount of money to continue their habit
- criminals who use it to commit other crimes
- chop shops/organized crime who use the cars for drugs and weapons smuggling

second and third on that list would be the largest percentage. there's a lot of drug addiction in NM, there's a lot of poverty (compared to other states).

Old 06-30-2019, 09:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,517,834 times
Never ever leave your car running without you in it. I use a double hooked Club everywhere I go now.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:35 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
How about we wait until 2019 finishes before we compare it with 2018?
OK, how 'bout we wait five years, 10 years, 20 years... and then compare? Maybe we won't be driving cars anymore or we'll be dead from worrying about auto theft statistics and none of this will matter. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Maybe we won't be driving cars anymore
Actually I'm hoping self-driving cars will replace human drivers. So yeah, maybe (hopefully) we won't be driving cars anymore.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:40 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,455,196 times
An important factor (which should be obvious) that gets overlooked when looking at these statistics is that the highest auto theft rates occur in very car-dependent cities. Cities that don't have lots of sprawl and have decent public transit are less car-dependent. More residents don't own cars, there are fewer cars per capita, therefore fewer thefts per capita. In creating these statistics they really should take into account the number of cars, not the number of residents, found in the cities they're comparing. Probably the best way to reduce the theft rate is to create an environment where more people don't need cars. If you don't own a car (like I didn't living in Boston) it won't get stolen. I'm not convinced that people who own cars in Boston are not affected by theft at the same rate as people who own cars in ABQ. It's just that the rate of car ownership in ABQ is much higher than in Boston. The statistics don't reflect that.

As Mark Twain said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Old 07-01-2019, 11:28 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,330,637 times
If you are trying to explain car theft rates, throw in the condition of the cars. Albuquerque is not exactly known for it's high-end cars. What does a 95 Camry fetch these days?

Old 07-02-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Probably the best way to reduce the theft rate is to create an environment where more people don't need cars.
This will just shift theft to other targets. Instead of cars, they'll break into your home more often, mug you on the street more often. I see where you're going with the idea, but the best way to reduce theft is address the root causes: poverty, lack of economic opportunities, drug addiction, feelings of self-worthlessnesss, feeling abandoned by society.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 PM

681 posts, read 1,210,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Never ever leave your car running without you in it. I use a double hooked Club everywhere I go now.
Leaving the car running and locked while you shop is VERY common in AK during the cold winter months. Lots of targets of opportunity for those so inclined.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque