Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 01:45 PM

35 posts, read 45,967 times

Advertisements

More questions and I prefer to make seperate posts so responses stay germane. I hope that is ok!

We are planning a quick trip to Albuquerque just for a weekend with our 2 kids (ages 7 & 11) to get our bearings. Not ready to actually house hunt yet as we are a couple of months out from a move still. However, we want to have our own understanding of the NE Heights area (Eldorado HS zoned areas mostly and possibly La Cueva) and NW (to check out the new construction neighborhoods zoned for Volcano Vista HS).

We will need to throw a couple of sight seeing moments in to keep the kids interested. We have previously visited Old Town (and loved it). I would prefer to just drive around and look at houses all day but I want my kids to actually get excited about moving and not hate me for keeping them prisoner in a moving car for an entire weekend.

Our only 2 full days there will be Saturday and Sunday.

Recommendations for which things to hit on which day? If we were to do the Sandia Peak Tramway, how long should be budget time-wise for the drive out, trip up, maybe lunch, and back down?

Favorite family friendly restaurants (not national chains)? We loved the Church St Cafe when we visited previously. We'd like to check out some great ABQ food and a classic diner at least (we have very limited options where we currently live. Food is exciting for us!)

Recommendations for a travel path around NE Heights to see neighborhoods, parks, and schools?

Recommendations for things to AVOID on this quick trip?

We will be lodging in the Uptown area.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 03:28 PM

312 posts, read 279,118 times
Take in a New Mexico United soccer game, if there is one that day. Meet the locals. Lots of fun.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:12 PM

16,193 posts, read 10,868,537 times
Unser Racing Museum would be good if the kids are old enough to enjoy it. Kids under 16 are free. It is not huge so you can squeeze it in.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,638,906 times
The 66 Diner on Central between I-25 and University Boulevard is probably the most famous diner in Albuquerque.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/66-diner-albuquerque

Lindy's in Downtown Albuquerque is a great option as well.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/lindys-diner-albuquerque

Old 08-24-2019, 08:23 PM

548 posts, read 1,220,920 times
Food: Route 66 diner, slap fish, Sadie’s

Activities: tram (2 hours total maybe), North Domingo Baca park (playground), explora (hands on kids museum), abq biopark zoo

Old 08-25-2019, 09:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven4and2 View Post
Our only 2 full days there will be Saturday and Sunday.

Recommendations for which things to hit on which day? If we were to do the Sandia Peak Tramway, how long should be budget time-wise for the drive out, trip up, maybe lunch, and back down?
My wife says 4 hours or less, we have done it several times over the years, but not this new Tramway. There are several long paths you can take while at the top. There are brave souls who walk up or down and take the tram for the other direction...

Sandia Peak Tramway 113 Pictures Taken July 21, 2007: Small pics you can click on to see larger
https://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho...57600942598962

Old 08-26-2019, 10:19 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,459,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
Take in a New Mexico United soccer game, if there is one that day. Meet the locals. Lots of fun.
Seconded! Big, energetic crowds and a lot of energy on and off the field, plus large, well-organized community tailgates before the match with free food and drink, street soccer, and sometimes even a concert...

Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 PM

201 posts, read 293,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Seconded! Big, energetic crowds and a lot of energy on and off the field, plus large, well-organized community tailgates before the match with free food and drink, street soccer, and sometimes even a concert...
Thirded^

New Mexico United games are a blast, even despite our bad run of play lately. Every game is near sold out, but you can always buy berm tickets (which are great, also allows you to freely walk around). Tailgating is great, and I'm always surprised to see free beer/music thanks to sponsors.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
The long-awaited new restaurant, Ten3, has recently opened at the top of the Tram and I would suspect the lines even to get on the Tram itself will be very long, especially on a weekend, with people wanting to have lunch/dinner there. I know they require reservations for dinner (and are booked months in advance), but I would still call ahead to find out how long you can expect to wait for lunch. You may want to reconsider because it will probably be very crowded for quite some time. You do not want to waste hours waiting in line when you only have two days here.

Which weekend are you coming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque