Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 09:45 AM

35 posts, read 45,597 times

Advertisements

Still considering Rio Rancho and my almost-80-but-very-active mother will be joining us most of the year. I see there is a senior center through southern Sandoval county but their website doesn't really feature much information. Would love to know more about what they actually offer for trips and classes, not just that trips and classes are offered.

Are there are other senior focused activties outside the senior center? Senior exercise groups? Clubs?

How easy is RR for a senior to navigate in terms of driving? I see they do offer some transportation options.

Medical?

It looks like 13 or 14% of the RR population is 65+ - so are seniors embraced as part of the community in general or are they marginalized?

While we are hyper focused on schools and crime and commute, I also really want to choose a community my mother will feel comfortable in. If not RR, are there some Albuquerque communities that are better for seniors than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 11:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven4and2 View Post
Still considering Rio Rancho and my almost-80-but-very-active mother will be joining us most of the year. I see there is a senior center through southern Sandoval county but their website doesn't really feature much information. Would love to know more about what they actually offer for trips and classes, not just that trips and classes are offered.
Rio Rancho is in Sandoval County. It has their own Senior-Center

https://www.rrnm.gov/410/Meadowlark-Senior-Center

Quote:
Are there are other senior focused activties outside the senior center? Senior exercise groups? Clubs?
Yes, they exist, but I'm not really familiar with those activities...

Quote:
How easy is RR for a senior to navigate in terms of driving? I see they do offer some transportation options.
My wife and I are Seniors, we have lived here 20 years. We have several/many Seniors in the area, my wife can think of about 12 other Seniors in this area which we know.

Quote:
Medical?
No problem with medical. In fact it has exceed my expectations greatly... We have been using Presbyterian Rust Medical Center which was built here in Rio Rancho about 12 years ago. There are other Presbyterian facilities in the area. I had heart surgery, my wife had shoulder and foot surgery, my diabetes is treated there, etc...

Quote:
It looks like 13 or 14% of the RR population is 65+ - so are seniors embraced as part of the community in general or are they marginalized?
I've probably met 30 to 60 (just guessing) Seniors here in Rio Rancho since we moved here 20 years ago. I never heard of any of them being "marginalized"...

Quote:
While we are hyper focused on schools and crime and commute, I also really want to choose a community my mother will feel comfortable in. If not RR, are there some Albuquerque communities that are better for seniors than others?
We also travel around a lot in the Albuquerque communities doing various volunteer work. My daughter and her children and grandchildren also live in Rio Rancho. There may be some other areas which may be more comfortable for you, but I can not honestly give a recommendation...

Old 08-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks, Poncho_NM! I will look in to the Presbytarian Rust services. I am glad to learn that they cover more than just basic medical. It has been a challenge finding somewhere that is balanced for multi generational families. I think Rio Rancho looks like it may be a good mix.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,929 times
While the Meadowlark Senior Center website doesn't have much info, there is a link on that site to another web page containing the most recent 2 monthly newsletters, which are much more informative. Here is a direct link to the newsletter for the upcoming month (September) - https://www.rrnm.gov/DocumentCenter/...-2019-Calendar. You can also access the link of their main website to see the August newsletter.

In the past, we've been to a few of the senior center events and enjoyed them.

You can also use the ABQ senior centers for a very reasonable annual fee, you don't have to live in ABQ or Bernalillo County to use them. Some of these are quite a bit better than the Meadowlark senior center, with gyms, more activities, etc. Following are links to some previous C-D threads and posts I and others did about senior opportunities in this area plus additional threads on the more general issues of ABQ area retirees and things to do in the area. I have also included direct links below to some of the senior program websites.

As mentioned in an earlier C-D thread, the ABQ affairs senior department and the activities/events they sponsor are one of the best in the nation. And it's great that you can live in Rio Rancho or elsewhere outside ABQ (we live in Bernalillo) and participate in the ABQ programs if you wish.

- Help, New Mexicans! Need Retirement Advice!. See my post (#53 in this thread) about the ABQ senior centers and active adult learning groups in the area. The last group I mentioned, Lifelong Learning for New Mexicans, is no longer active.

- Retiring in New Mexico. Some of the links in these and other of the older threads may not work any longer, but they should still be helpful in helping point the way to where you can find additional pertinent info.

- Wishing to retire to liberal Southwest. You may have to sift through the posts on this and other of the following threads to find info that interests you, but hopefully it will be helpful in answering your questions.

- Learning to love Albuquerque. See my post #4 in this thread, plus the entire thread has good suggestions in general for interesting ABQ area activities.

- Making friends in albuquerque (49 yrs old )

- Department of Senior Affairs. This includes links to ABQ's most recent published senior activities catalog (published semiannually), senior sports & fitness catalog, quick guide to senior services, listing of senior and multigenerational community center locations (which also has links to webpages for each of the individual centers), listing of volunteer opportunities, and more.

https://www.oasisnet.org/Albuquerque-NM. The online class listing is really short right now since Oasis is at the very end of their summer session. You can see the full summer class catalog at https://www.oasisnet.org/Portals/0/C...019Catalog.pdf. Or wait for a couple of weeks - registration for fall classes starts on Sept 4 so the info for all the fall classes will be online before then. My wife and I attend a lot of the Oasis classes; they're a great value with interesting speakers and topics.

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at UNM Classes | UNM Continuing Education and https://view.publitas.com/university...ll-2019/page/1. We have found the Osher active adult learning classes a little less interesting than the Oasis classes, but other seniors love them, so I would also look at these.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Thanks, rwjoyak!!!! Great links for me to read through and I appreciate your personal observations and experiences.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
How easy is RR for a senior to navigate in terms of driving?
There are a lot of fast drivers and tailgaters in Rio Rancho. So it depends how comfortable they are driving in that.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There are a lot of fast drivers and tailgaters in Rio Rancho. So it depends how comfortable they are driving in that.
We have lived in Rio Rancho for the past 20 years.

You have not lived in New Mexico for the past 20 years or so...

As usual, you are full of crap... The phrase, get a life, applies to you...

Old 08-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Though, having lived all over the US, I think there are speeders and tailgaters many places. I think the issue for a person in the 80's would be their ability to get to know a new area, learn the roads, short cuts, and local nuances. That would be a challenge anywhere. With RR, I like that it is mostly self contained in terms of medical and grocery stores where my mom would mainly be driving rather than having to drive through the bulk of ABQ traffic (which, I have to imagine, is even worse than RR for speeders and tailgaters).

Is there an community, vicinity, or neighborhood you would specifically warn us against for the drivers or perhaps one area you see as better than RR on this issue that we might consider?

Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Though, having lived all over the US, I think there are speeders and tailgaters many places.
Very true. Although actually RR is worse for that than Albq. proper.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
As usual, you are full of crap... The phrase, get a life, applies to you...
honestly, man, with the best of intentions, I think for your peace of mind you might want to avoid reading my posts. Anytime you see there's a post from me, just skip over it. You get too flustered. I don't wanna be the cause of you having a heart attack or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque