Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I clearly saw an east-west divide in Albuquerque. Rio Rancho looked more like typical suburban communities. The east side has more of the southwest flavor, also looks poorer. What's the political divide? I don't remember if Trump went to NM last time and if it made any difference. The state is so blue. It looks really out of reach.
Yes, Trump went to New Mexico last time. The combination of rioting and people waving Mexican flags sure made a positive impression on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWa2moeifYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCti80vyc6k

There were other rallies in NM as well.

New Mexico was pretty purple not that long ago. At least on paper. Maybe it was already less purple than we were told.

From what I remember of a map I saw of the 2016 electoral breakdown within Albuquerque, the most Republican votes were clustered in the far northeast, which is one of the wealthier areas in the city. I don't remember how Rio Rancho went.

(All in all, I'd rather be in Montgomery County, PA, but that's not an option for me.)

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 09-15-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I do find it interesting that he chose to come here on the day of Mexican Independence.
Who cares? This isn't Mexico. I don't keep track of Mexican holidays, for the most part. Fiercely proud Mexicans who are bothered by Trump's visit on Mexican Independence Day might be happier in their own independent state, Mexico.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:46 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Back when I still considered myself a liberal, I was already a bit alienated by all the emphasis on gay rights issues, even though I had been ahead of the curve in my own views on that issue. Of course, now with the ascendancy of the delusional transgender ideology (which is an offense to me for reality based, not faith based reasons--I'm not religious), things have gotten much more extreme.
Even a few liberals have said similar things about transgenderism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FpolYd6fc

Old 09-15-2019, 11:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
So, what happened is that in many minority families there is now a conflict between the young LGBTQ members versus the older, middle-aged more conservative minorities. The latter is often villified to the level of Fred Phelps. The far-left, liberal LGBTQ literally drives many of these older minorities away. Some wind up being Trump supporters. Now, I know why those Trump rallies actually have minorities - generally older, middle-aged, religious members. They were driven there by the very angry far left, LGBTQ minorities who have villified middle-aged members of their own family. It's a tragic divide. The Republicans know this is happening and welcome the middle-aged minorities with open arms. That is why you occasionally see them at the Trump rallies.

I literally got driven out of my home state by the far left LGTBQ. As a moderate Catholic who occasionally goes to Church, I was categorized as someone to the far right like Fred Phelps which I am not. I actually despise Fred Phelps. Go figure. Politics and conflicts can get out-of-control with misdirected anger.
If Trump does go to Rio Rancho, the presence of middle-aged minorities would not surprise me. I came back to NM to be near my Catholic roots so as not to be attacked for it. I feel safe here compared to Phoenix which is very liberal these days. I am a moderate and centrist - not extreme right or left. I had thought I was in the neutral zone with that attitude but that isn't the opinion for many of the far left LGBTQ.
I don't really understand this perspective because Trump has openly claimed to be very pro-LGBTQ, although members of that community dispute the claim. I know Trump supporters who are LGBTQ-friendly and like to point out that Trump supports LGBTQ rights, even claiming he was an LGBTQ supporter before Obama was.

There have always been conservative Catholic Hispanics in NM and many of them support Trump. This is not a "new divide". And there are a lot who say Trump is too extreme, they can't support him, especially because of his racist statements about Mexicans.

Last edited by aries63; 09-15-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 11:53 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Who cares? This isn't Mexico. I don't keep track of Mexican holidays, for the most part. Fiercely proud Mexicans who are bothered by Trump's visit on Mexican Independence Day might be happier in their own independent state, Mexico.
When the President of the US characterizes Mexicans as rapists and criminals what do you expect? Mexicans to greet him with open arms? If all the Mexican nationals in the US were to leave tomorrow, the entire US economy would collapse. Goodbye agriculture, food processing, restaurant industry, hotel industry, construction industry, you name it.

And by the way, when Mexico celebrated independence from Spain, New Mexico was part of Mexico and so it was celebrated here as well by the ancestors of today's New Mexican families who've been here a lot longer than you. You can't simply erase history just because New Mexico now belongs to the US.

Last edited by aries63; 09-15-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 03:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,801 times
Quote:
I'm of Mexican and northern New Mexican Spanish descent. I have an affinity for Mexico and Spain and feel a connection to them, just like any other immigrant to this country who might have an affinity and feel a connection to the countries their ancestors and families came from. Irish, Italian, English, French, German, Cuban, etc.

For the majority of those of Mexican descent Trump is a polarizing and divisive figure. Albuquerque has a large Mexican population. It is weird for him to have a rally in a place with a large Mexican population on September 16th.

As for me, I am an American, but I know and celebrate the day of Mexican Independence. I will watch the Grito tonight on Univision, just like many other Mexican immigrants and their descendents. I am not loyal to Mexico, I am merely proud of my family's Mexican heritage. I grew up with it, the food, music, television, etc.

As a person who was born and grew up in the U.S. I of course know and love U.S. culture and history. It is what I identify with most and it is my culture and history. The immigrant experience is a big part of this country's history and culture.

The Fourth of July is my patriotic holiday and Old Glory is my flag. The 16th of September is my grandparents patriotic holiday and the tricolor is their flag. I can be proud of that and my family's history all I want to be while in this country. I won't be told to go back to Mexico, because that's not where I am from, it's where my ancestors are from.

My maternal grandfather came to this country legally as a baby with his family and worked in the coal mines in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado before settling here in Albuquerque and working for the city. My paternal grandparents lived in Mexico until they died. My dad was born in the U.S., grew up in Juarez, and moved to Albuquerque to work in construction in the 1970s. My paternal grandmother was also born in the U.S., the daughter of legal Mexican immigrants in Arizona who worked in the cotton fields. My maternal grandmother is where I get my northern New Mexican Spanish lineage from. Her family was here for centuries. She met my grandfather in Santa Fe and they married in Madrid while he was working in the coal mines there in the early 1940s.

Every person in this country who was born to immigrants and is descended from immigrant families has a right to be proud of where their family and ancestors came from and deserves not to have their patriotism or loyalty to this country be questioned for doing so or having these feelings.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:07 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Every person in this country who was born to immigrants and is descended from immigrant families has a right to be proud of where their family and ancestors came from and deserves not to have their patriotism or loyalty to this country be questioned for doing so or having these feelings.
Almost no one would dispute that. But the problem is, when you allow millions of people to come here illegally (and talk about them as if they're in the same category as legal immigrants), it's unfair to both native born citizens and those who came here legally. It inevitably creates conflict and resentment.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:40 PM

192 posts, read 256,597 times
Quote:
I'm of Mexican and northern New Mexican Spanish descent. I have an affinity for Mexico and Spain and feel a connection to them, just like any other immigrant to this country who might have an affinity and feel a connection to the countries their ancestors and families came from. Irish, Italian, English, French, German, Cuban, etc.

For the majority of those of Mexican descent Trump is a polarizing and divisive figure. Albuquerque has a large Mexican population. It is weird for him to have a rally in a place with a large Mexican population on September 16th.

As for me, I am an American, but I know and celebrate the day of Mexican Independence. I will watch the Grito tonight on Univision, just like many other Mexican immigrants and their descendents. I am not loyal to Mexico, I am merely proud of my family's Mexican heritage. I grew up with it, the food, music, television, etc.

As a person who was born and grew up in the U.S. I of course know and love U.S. culture and history. It is what I identify with most and it is my culture and history. The immigrant experience is a big part of this country's history and culture.

The Fourth of July is my patriotic holiday and Old Glory is my flag. The 16th of September is my grandparents patriotic holiday and the tricolor is their flag. I can be proud of that and my family's history all I want to be while in this country. I won't be told to go back to Mexico, because that's not where I am from, it's where my ancestors are from.

My maternal grandfather came to this country legally as a baby with his family and worked in the coal mines in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado before settling here in Albuquerque and working for the city. My paternal grandparents lived in Mexico until they died. My dad was born in the U.S., grew up in Juarez, and moved to Albuquerque to work in construction in the 1970s. My paternal grandmother was also born in the U.S., the daughter of legal Mexican immigrants in Arizona who worked in the cotton fields. My maternal grandmother is where I get my northern New Mexican Spanish lineage from. Her family was here for centuries. She met my grandfather in Santa Fe and they married in Madrid while he was working in the coal mines there in the early 1940s.

I'm curious how you feel about people waving the Mexican flag during a speech by the President of the United States of America whether you like him or not. I personally think it's disgusting.

FTR I'm a registered independent and have voted for both parties because I feel both parties have either gone too far left or too far right and it's getting worse. I'm also a descendant of immigrants from mostly European ancestors.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
I'm curious how you feel about people waving the Mexican flag during a speech by the President of the United States of America whether you like him or not. I personally think it's disgusting.

FTR I'm a registered independent and have voted for both parties because I feel both parties have either gone too far left or too far right and it's getting worse. I'm also a descendant of immigrants from mostly European ancestors.
I personally don't like people waving Mexican flags at all. This is the U.S. and the U.S. flag is our flag. I also don't think it's right to root for Mexico versus the U.S. in soccer, etc. However, I understand where some of that is coming from. I don't think all of it is a case of being more loyal to Mexico, I think it is trying to show pride being from Mexico, and for the recent immigrants still having some loyalties and affections toward Mexico.

Others who protest also feel the same way, which is why you'll always see American flags too.

I also think waving the Mexican flag is a dumb move because the majority of people aren't going to be able to understand the idea that there may be nuances behind it.

It's sort of like people in the South waving the Rebel flag. I think it is completely wrong and I don't see how anyone could fly a flag other than that of the U.S., and I do believe that most who fly it are trying to send racist signals. But I can understand that many may feel it's not disrespectful to this country to fly that flag or that they aren't doing it as a racist thing, but rather being proud of their heritage.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:21 PM

192 posts, read 256,597 times
Good post and I agree 100%.

We should all look at ourselves as Americans first instead of something with a hyphen in between regardless of where our ancestors initially came from. It would make America a better place, at the very least IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque