Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 PM

16,193 posts, read 10,868,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post

For the majority of those of Mexican descent Trump is a polarizing and divisive figure. Albuquerque has a large Mexican population. It is weird for him to have a rally in a place with a large Mexican population on September 16th.
Whoever planned this campaign rally For Trump (at our expense) on Sept. 16th is hoping for Mexican flags and an angry scene for his media folks to record or is incredibly stupid. I favor the first option. The con goes on. His previous visits were less than happy events so he is hoping for an eventful media distraction.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,353,347 times
This just in.....

Trump launches ambitious play to turn New Mexico red

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ctions-1497451

“As we started doing polling there, we saw a dramatic increase from 2016 and I went over this with the president and he said, ‘Let’s go straight into Albuquerque,’” Parscale recalled."

Old 09-16-2019, 09:56 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
When the President of the US characterizes Mexicans as rapists and criminals what do you expect? Mexicans to greet him with open arms? If all the Mexican nationals in the US were to leave tomorrow, the entire US economy would collapse. Goodbye agriculture, food processing, restaurant industry, hotel industry, construction industry, you name it.

And by the way, when Mexico celebrated independence from Spain, New Mexico was part of Mexico and so it was celebrated here as well by the ancestors of today's New Mexican families who've been here a lot longer than you. You can't simply erase history just because New Mexico now belongs to the US.
Both of my families have been here since the mid-1600's. Most of my friends are the same. I do not know a single person that celebrates or even acknowledges Dieciseis de Septiembre.

Sometimes, I just don't get the references to NM being part of Mexico. Our history under Mexican rule is tiny in comparison. We have been part of the US four times longer than the 28 years we were under Mexican government.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Trump lost New Mexico to Hillary by 8 points. Romney, the great moderate, lost it to Obama by 10 points. Prior to that, McCain, the icon of all moderates and a shoo in, lost the state to Obama by 15 points.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:50 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
I'm curious how you feel about people waving the Mexican flag during a speech by the President of the United States of America whether you like him or not. I personally think it's disgusting.
It is free speech which we defend as Americans. I see it as simply a reaction to the far more disgusting rhetoric from the POTUS's mouth.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:55 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Both of my families have been here since the mid-1600's. Most of my friends are the same. I do not know a single person that celebrates or even acknowledges Dieciseis de Septiembre.

Sometimes, I just don't get the references to NM being part of Mexico. Our history under Mexican rule is tiny in comparison. We have been part of the US four times longer than the 28 years we were under Mexican government.
Read ABQAlex above. I know several mixed people in NM who have both long NM roots and more recent Mexican immigrant roots. Our former governor Susana Martinez had immigrant grandparents. And there are lots of Mexican citizens here legally who have every right to celebrate the holidays of their choosing.

Mexico and New Mexico were also under the same flag when it was New Spain, so New and Old Mexico share a much longer history than just under the Mexican flag.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:33 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,638,906 times
In the most recent numbers available from the Census Bureau for 2017, New Mexico had 1,004,103 Hispanic residents. Of those, 659,293 were of Mexican descent. That's over 65 percent of Hispanics in New Mexico who are descended from Mexico. New Mexico does have a distinct, centuries-old Spanish culture and population, but it is not at all the majority of the overall Hispanic population in this state.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF

Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,351 times
Quote:
Read ABQAlex above. I know several mixed people in NM who have both long NM roots and more recent Mexican immigrant roots. Our former governor Susana Martinez had immigrant grandparents. And there are lots of Mexican citizens here legally who have every right to celebrate the holidays of their choosing.
Of course, they do. I am not saying they can't. I am saying it is not widely celebrated in NM. I have 3 kids on my baseball team that are 1st generation Americans of Mexican decent. We have practice today. I asked after our game on Sunday if they would be celebrating the Dieciseis de Septiembre. Each of them said no, that they would be at practice today.

Quote:
Mexico and New Mexico were also under the same flag when it was New Spain, so New and Old Mexico share a much longer history than just under the Mexican flag.
The Provincia de Nuevo Mexico was established in the late 1500's. Yes they do have similarities but also have a lot of differences. Just as CA and NY share similarities but a lot of differences. If Trump was to visit on the Seis de Decembre, should we be offended because that is the Spanish Constitution day?

I think it is petty and sad for anyone to make inference that he is visiting to cause issues because of this date, when it is not widely celebrated anywhere in NM.

Last edited by NMHacker; 09-16-2019 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 02:48 PM

Why can't you have a celebration AND have Trump visit the town? Don't we have football games on the Thanksgiving Day?

Old 09-16-2019, 02:51 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,638,906 times
The Grito de la independencia takes place at midnight on the Zocalo in Mexico City. The main festivities lead up to that event and today is a day of reflection and there is a patriotic parade on the Zocalo. It's like how New Year's Eve and the countdown to midnight is more of an event than actual New Year's Day, which is the actual day off and the day with football and parades, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_of_Dolores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque