Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 08:34 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,369,740 times

Advertisements

That's the last place I expected him to go. Where exactly? I am not there any more. What's been the media reaction? Is it widely known around town?

Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,642,551 times
It will be held in Rio Rancho at the Santa Ana Star Center, not like last time in Downtown Albuquerque at the Convention Center. That itself may make it less of a mess, but we shall see.

I don't like Trump at all, but I think presidents should be able to hold events without it turning into violent confrontations like the last time. I also don't like anarchist-types, and those are the ones who always turn these protests into sh*t shows.

I do find it interesting that he chose to come here on the day of Mexican Independence.

His visit is all over the news and quite well-known around town. There was a bit of a preview today in Downtown Albuquerque with a few Trump supporters and many more anti-Trump protestors gathered at 1st and Central.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,663,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
It will be held in Rio Rancho at the Santa Ana Star Center, not like last time in Downtown Albuquerque at the Convention Center. That itself may make it less of a mess, but we shall see.

I don't like Trump at all, but I think presidents should be able to hold events without it turning into violent confrontations like the last time. I also don't like anarchist-types, and those are the ones who always turn these protests into sh*t shows.

I do find it interesting that he chose to come here on the day of Mexican Independence.

His visit is all over the news and quite well-known around town. There was a bit of a preview today in Downtown Albuquerque with a few Trump supporters and many more anti-Trump protestors gathered at 1st and Central.
I am from AZ but lived in FL for along time. I also went to HS in Santa Fe. When I was in FL a few years ago I thought it was odd to see the occasional minority in a Trump rally. Usually, they were middle-aged. As a brown Native American, I was surprised they were even there. But now I know why.

I returned to AZ a couple of years ago and was (at first) very happy to be back. I was near my large extended family and home community. Everything old was new again. I enjoyed the first year back in AZ. But by the end of the 2nd years I saw a divide between the young and old minorities. The situation among minorities is that it appears many of the young are far left liberals with a HUGE LGBTQ focus - very different from previous generations. Meanwhile, many of the older minorities are older and somewhat conservative. For example, NM has a lot of Catholics and Presbyterians. The older ones are somewhat more conservative and still attend church. I go occasionally as a Catholic.

So, what happened is that in many minority families there is now a conflict between the young LGBTQ members versus the older, middle-aged more conservative minorities. The latter is often villified to the level of Fred Phelps. The far-left, liberal LGBTQ literally drives many of these older minorities away. Some wind up being Trump supporters. Now, I know why those Trump rallies actually have minorities - generally older, middle-aged, religious members. They were driven there by the very angry far left, LGBTQ minorities who have villified middle-aged members of their own family. It's a tragic divide. The Republicans know this is happening and welcome the middle-aged minorities with open arms. That is why you occasionally see them at the Trump rallies.

I literally got driven out of my home state by the far left LGTBQ. As a moderate Catholic who occasionally goes to Church, I was categorized as someone to the far right like Fred Phelps which I am not. I actually despise Fred Phelps. Go figure. Politics and conflicts can get out-of-control with misdirected anger.
If Trump does go to Rio Rancho, the presence of middle-aged minorities would not surprise me. I came back to NM to be near my Catholic roots so as not to be attacked for it. I feel safe here compared to Phoenix which is very liberal these days. I am a moderate and centrist - not extreme right or left. I had thought I was in the neutral zone with that attitude but that isn't the opinion for many of the far left LGBTQ.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:54 AM

30,921 posts, read 37,117,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I am from AZ but lived in FL for along time. I also went to HS in Santa Fe. When I was in FL a few years ago I thought it was odd to see the occasional minority in a Trump rally. Usually, they were middle-aged. As a brown Native American, I was surprised they were even there. But now I know why.

I returned to AZ a couple of years ago and was (at first) very happy to be back. I was near my large extended family and home community. Everything old was new again. I enjoyed the first year back in AZ. But by the end of the 2nd years I saw a divide between the young and old minorities. The situation among minorities is that it appears many of the young are far left liberals with a HUGE LGBTQ focus - very different from previous generations. Meanwhile, many of the older minorities are older and somewhat conservative. For example, NM has a lot of Catholics and Presbyterians. The older ones are somewhat more conservative and still attend church. I go occasionally as a Catholic.

So, what happened is that in many minority families there is now a conflict between the young LGBTQ members versus the older, middle-aged more conservative minorities. The latter is often villified to the level of Fred Phelps. The far-left, liberal LGBTQ literally drives many of these older minorities away. Some wind up being Trump supporters. Now, I know why those Trump rallies actually have minorities - generally older, middle-aged, religious members. They were driven there by the very angry far left, LGBTQ minorities who have villified middle-aged members of their own family. It's a tragic divide. The Republicans know this is happening and welcome the middle-aged minorities with open arms. That is why you occasionally see them at the Trump rallies.

I literally got driven out of my home state by the far left LGTBQ. As a moderate Catholic who occasionally goes to Church, I was categorized as someone to the far right like Fred Phelps which I am not. I actually despise Fred Phelps. Go figure. Politics and conflicts can get out-of-control with misdirected anger.
If Trump does go to Rio Rancho, the presence of middle-aged minorities would not surprise me. I came back to NM to be near my Catholic roots so as not to be attacked for it. I feel safe here compared to Phoenix which is very liberal these days. I am a moderate and centrist - not extreme right or left. I had thought I was in the neutral zone with that attitude but that isn't the opinion for many of the far left LGBTQ.
I'm gay and I also don't like the LGBTQ establishment. A lot of people think dictatorships can only come from the political right. That couldn't be further from the truth. There are plenty of left wing wannabe dictators out there.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 AM

33,431 posts, read 12,723,485 times
Quote:

They're religious, yet they support a man who has been married three times, cheated on each of those wives, and thought (and perhaps still thinks) it is Two Corinthians rather than Second Corinthians .

Old 09-15-2019, 08:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,369,740 times
I clearly saw an east-west divide in Albuquerque. Rio Rancho looked more like typical suburban communities. The east side has more of the southwest flavor, also looks poorer. What's the political divide? I don't remember if Trump went to NM last time and if it made any difference. The state is so blue. It looks really out of reach.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,962,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's the last place I expected him to go. Where exactly? I am not there any more. What's been the media reaction? Is it widely known around town?
The President of the United States visiting one of the states! Shocking! Are you one of those people who approve of the riots to attempt to shut down the Trump rallies in 2016?

Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,962,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I clearly saw an east-west divide in Albuquerque. Rio Rancho looked more like typical suburban communities. The east side has more of the southwest flavor, also looks poorer. What's the political divide? I don't remember if Trump went to NM last time and if it made any difference. The state is so blue. It looks really out of reach.
Amrep Corporation purchased 55,000 acres in 1961 and turned the land into a housing development called "Rio Rancho Estates". In 1981 the City of Rio Rancho was incorporated.

Albuquerque was founded in 1706 as a Spanish colonial outpost. New Albuquerque was incorporated as a town in 1885. Albuquerque was incorporated as a city in 1891.

There are vast differences between the city of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho...

Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,962,046 times
Quote:

These are interesting observations, but I don't think there is just one explanation for one racial/ethnic minorities might support Trump. There have been a sprinkling of such minorities on the right for decades, so it's not something entirely new. Also, I don't think Trump has capitalized on opposition to certain extremes in LGBTQ activism nearly as much as he could have.

Back when I still considered myself a liberal, I was already a bit alienated by all the emphasis on gay rights issues, even though I had been ahead of the curve in my own views on that issue. Of course, now with the ascendancy of the delusional transgender ideology (which is an offense to me for reality based, not faith based reasons--I'm not religious), things have gotten much more extreme.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 09-15-2019 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque