Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 10:43 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times

Advertisements

How safe is UNM and the immediate area around campus? On google maps it looks very nice but, I've also heard people say that it's a tough area?

Last edited by Jay100; 09-05-2020 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 01:09 PM

312 posts, read 277,581 times
It's a tough area.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
It's not that bad. There are a fair number of homeless in the area, but there are numerous businesses/restaurants/etc. students walk around the area at night. Just use common sense.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
The University of New Mexico

Plenty of info to read:

Life at UNM
How to be Safe

https://geo.unm.edu/students/life_un...or%20dormitory.

and

https://campussafety.unm.edu/

Old 09-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It's not that bad. There are a fair number of homeless in the area, but there are numerous businesses/restaurants/etc. students walk around the area at night. Just use common sense.
According to the links that PonchoNM provided: "If you have a car, keep your car doors locked when you are both in and out of it. When walking to your car, especially at night, have your car door key in your hand ready to unlock the door.

Get in quickly and lock the door. Never park in dark or isolated areas."

So do people need to watch their backs/ be on their toes in the surrounding areas of campus?

Old 09-05-2020, 08:31 PM

5,039 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
How safe is UNM and the immediate area around campus?
I wouldn't call it "tough" at all. Where are you coming from and what are you used to? Small town America or inner city, or something else? I've known many international students at UNM, a couple of blind students, lots of others who did just fine. There are quite a lot of incidents of theft, but with tens of thousands of students, staff, faculty, and visitors coming and going every day some theft is going to happen. Don't leave articles of value unattended. The campus and most of its buildings are completely open to anyone off the street (pre-pandemic).

Old 09-05-2020, 10:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
According to the links that PonchoNM provided: "If you have a car, keep your car doors locked when you are both in and out of it.
This seems reasonable advice in any city in America.

Quote:
When walking to your car, especially at night, have your car door key in your hand ready to unlock the door.

Get in quickly and lock the door. Never park in dark or isolated areas."
This seems paranoid.

Quote:
So do people need to watch their backs/ be on their toes in the surrounding areas of campus?
Well, you don't have to walk around with your sweaty index finger trembling over the trigger on your pepper spray, but you should not walk around oblivious to your surroundings either. I once saw a guy cruising on a skateboard while looking at his phone crash into a girl with headphones on and she seemed to have really hurt her ankle.

OK, that mundane example downplays the worst things that could possibly happen, but it demonstrates what kind of accident is most likely to happen if you habitually walk around campus daydreaming.

You may find this article interesting: https://news.unm.edu/news/unm-releas...-safety-report

Keep in mind that most violent crimes such as assaults take place between students living in the dorms. There have been incidents of flashers in the past as well. The campus is open and people from the community can enter and wander around as they please, but it is not a place where criminals regularly lurk to prey on unsuspecting students.

There is a police force with a station on campus dedicated to protecting the campus of 40 officers and they potrol the campus 24/7, 365. The campus is very well lit at night and what few darker areas there are around buildings that are closed for the day so there is no reason to be forced to walk through those areas (and even the "dark" areas are not pitch black). The grounds are beautifully gardened but the trees and shrubs are not so thick as to conceal lurking evildoers.

Also, with thousands of students living on campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods, campus is rarely completely abandoned at night. There are people hanging out, riding bikes, playing street hockey in front of the library, jogging or playing frisbee and other sports at Johnson field, and taking walks well into the night. Only the fringes of campus, especially the west/northwest side are significantly quiet at night, and even that side borders on the sorority/fraternity neighborhood.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:56 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
I wouldn't call it "tough" at all. Where are you coming from and what are you used to? Small town America or inner city, or something else? I've known many international students at UNM, a couple of blind students, lots of others who did just fine. There are quite a lot of incidents of theft, but with tens of thousands of students, staff, faculty, and visitors coming and going every day some theft is going to happen. Don't leave articles of value unattended. The campus and most of its buildings are completely open to anyone off the street (pre-pandemic).

Here's a tip. When I was 19 I went to Graphic Arts/Printing Tech. school in downtown Seattle. I kept my wallet in my back pocket. One day my wallet must've fallen out of my back pocket. I noticed it missing later that day - it must've happened when I went across 2nd Avenue ta go to this small market there.

Any way, I was SOL after that - I had to get a new copy of my SS card, I lost $10.00 or $15.00 dollars is all, but it hurt me then, because I was broke. I didn't have rich parents that would fund my 4-year college. I paid for everything myself.

My tip is this: keep your wallet in your front pocket. I keep it in my right leg front pocket, and I keep my pocket change in the left leg front pocket of my pants. It has saved me so much possible heartache and heartbreak later on in life as I've grown older.

Ta lose a wallet is a really, really distressing thing. Oh, Mrs. elkotronics informs me that loss "experts" advise everyone to not keep their SS card anywhere on their person. I still keep mine in my wallet, but really, no one really asks you for your SS card (and would you actually get it out of your wallet if they did, and show it to them, with all of the morons out there stealing your personal business?), and, most everyone already has memorized their SS #, so why carry your SS card around with you? If some moron does get ahold of your SS card, you might just be screwed. Do not let that happen!

Carry your wallet in your front pocket only. And strongly consider not carrying your SS card on your person. I am going to put that baby in our strong box instead of carrying it around. Be careful. There's morons everywhere who could care less what kind of trouble you'll be having after they steal your person ID information. That includes financial information.

Be careful.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Here's a tip. When I was 19 I went to Graphic Arts/Printing Tech. school in downtown Seattle. I kept my wallet in my back pocket. One day my wallet must've fallen out of my back pocket. I noticed it missing later that day - it must've happened when I went across 2nd Avenue ta go to this small market there.

Any way, I was SOL after that - I had to get a new copy of my SS card, I lost $10.00 or $15.00 dollars is all, but it hurt me then, because I was broke. I didn't have rich parents that would fund my 4-year college. I paid for everything myself.

My tip is this: keep your wallet in your front pocket. I keep it in my right leg front pocket, and I keep my pocket change in the left leg front pocket of my pants. It has saved me so much possible heartache and heartbreak later on in life as I've grown older.

Ta lose a wallet is a really, really distressing thing. Oh, Mrs. elkotronics informs me that loss "experts" advise everyone to not keep their SS card anywhere on their person. I still keep mine in my wallet, but really, no one really asks you for your SS card (and would you actually get it out of your wallet if they did, and show it to them, with all of the morons out there stealing your personal business?), and, most everyone already has memorized their SS #, so why carry your SS card around with you? If some moron does get ahold of your SS card, you might just be screwed. Do not let that happen!

Carry your wallet in your front pocket only. And strongly consider not carrying your SS card on your person. I am going to put that baby in our strong box instead of carrying it around. Be careful. There's morons everywhere who could care less what kind of trouble you'll be having after they steal your person ID information. That includes financial information.

Be careful.
I might just have to go visit in person and see what the aura around campus is like.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:28 AM

5,039 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
I might just have to go visit in person and see what the aura around campus is like.
That's always a good idea if you're considering enrolling somewhere, or applying for a job. While you're here, check out some of the many off-campus attractions. Recreational opportunities abound in the surrounding area. There's a lot of exploring to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque