Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,625 times

Advertisements

wow, I didn't expect some of the answers that I got. I am not bashing ALB and I am not troll. I think ALB is a beautiful city and I always thought so. I simply looked up dangerous neighborhoods and was shocked to see the areas I lived in be classified as dangerous. I simply asked what happened because I moved away a long time ago and didn't look back. I realize things change and I am not living in the past, but wondering what changed. Some people posted some helpful answers but not everyone did. I think I will move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 01:12 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbosflo View Post
wow, I didn't expect some of the answers that I got. I am not bashing ALB and I am not troll. I think ALB is a beautiful city and I always thought so. I simply looked up dangerous neighborhoods and was shocked to see the areas I lived in be classified as dangerous. I simply asked what happened because I moved away a long time ago and didn't look back. I realize things change and I am not living in the past, but wondering what changed. Some people posted some helpful answers but not everyone did. I think I will move on.
I think you've run into what might happen on lots of C-D forums about a particular city. People that like ABQ are naturally defensive about what they see as a good place to live. There have also been folks that periodically show up and bash the city without good reason, or have a particular view that no matter of different facts will change. So long-time posters here are tired of this.

I'm curious though, where did you look up these "dangerous neighborhoods"? Where were these "classified as dangerous"? What rating metrics are they using to declare them dangerous?

Perhaps the online site that is saying this doesn't know what they're talking about. I think many of us would like to know the background on this, and perhaps you'll find that it's not ABQ, but rather the site you visited that is messed up.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:58 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
The United States is in a state of decline since the 80s. Lack of investment in cities and states and going to war with other countries have led to this decline. Also tax cuts and a cut back in education, infrastructure has led us to the current situation
The state I live in has been raising taxes since the 1990s.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:51 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Here's a view inside the Botanic Gardens, which also houses the new Aquarium, and also the Bugarium, an exhibit featuring many cool kinds of insects, and the Rio Grande Heritage Farm, with farm animals. A Japanese Garden was added after 2000.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...31-143634.html

And a park in a newer neighborhood (2000-) in the Far NE:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...1-img-2507.jpg

Thanks, aries63, for posting those pics. That's just what I was looking for in learning what's northwest of us here in Alamo. Enjoy your city and, from what I've seen, I see and hear plenty of things positive for ABQ's future. Don't anyone let COVID-19 drag you down. Encourage yourselves and encourage others to be positive and do positive things for others.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:22 PM

282 posts, read 216,778 times
Of course the ridiculous people that this site attracts come out for threads like this to push their political or racist agendas.

Albuquerque became an increasingly Hispanic city and that's why it's supposedly gone downhill, huh?

It's interesting that Albuquerque's economic and income numbers have never been higher or better despite us becoming a near-majority Hispanic city.

In the latest available measures, our metro GDP grew by 4.3 percent, our median income increased 12.39 percent and our poverty has continued its downward trend of the past decade since the end of the Great Recession. Median income and GDP were both at all-time highs.

New Mexico is one of the few states where Hispanics are not marginalized. Hispanics are well-represented and an integral part of the leadership, businesses and institutions here. Hispanics build success in New Mexico and move this state forward.

The upcoming 2020 Census numbers will surely show Albuquerque and New Mexico as officially becoming majority Hispanic.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:04 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Of course the ridiculous people that this site attracts come out for threads like this to push their political or racist agendas.

Albuquerque became an increasingly Hispanic city and that's why it's supposedly gone downhill, huh?

It's interesting that Albuquerque's economic and income numbers have never been higher or better despite us becoming a near-majority Hispanic city.

In the latest available measures, our metro GDP grew by 4.3 percent, our median income increased 12.39 percent and our poverty has continued its downward trend of the past decade since the end of the Great Recession. Median income and GDP were both at all-time highs.

New Mexico is one of the few states where Hispanics are not marginalized. Hispanics are well-represented and an integral part of the leadership, businesses and institutions here. Hispanics build success in New Mexico and move this state forward.

The upcoming 2020 Census numbers will surely show Albuquerque and New Mexico as officially becoming majority Hispanic.
ABQ has always had a hispanic majority. No one asked Anglos to come. I love the fact that NM has culture and is one of two minority majority states that was admitted to the US. That's what makes NM authentic and unique. Liberal/Conservative it doesn't matter. I'm moving to ABQ this year from Denver. I appreciate the Native American cultures and the mix of people. It's not like conservative cities don't have crime or homeless. Unless you get your info from TV.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:13 PM

282 posts, read 216,778 times
Quote:
ABQ has always had a hispanic majority. No one asked Anglos to come. I love the fact that NM has culture and is one of two minority majority states that was admitted to the US. That's what makes NM authentic and unique. Liberal/Conservative it doesn't matter. I'm moving to ABQ this year from Denver. I appreciate the Native American cultures and the mix of people. It's not like conservative cities don't have crime or homeless. Unless you get your info from TV.
I was replying to what was posted in post #24 above. The poster presented a graphic which shows Albuquerque going from a 63.3 percent non-Hispanic white majority in 1970 to a 46.7 percent Hispanic plurality in 2010. Along with liberalism they blame this demographic shift as the reason why Albuquerque has supposedly declined, and offer it up as the answer to the question of 'What Happened to Albuquerque?' as posed by the OP.

I didn't quote the post because I'm hoping it will be deleted. This site has a Politics and Controversies forum where trash like that belongs.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,625 times
I found this website after doing a search for dangerous neighborhoods. This is all I went by, it was just a random search https://upgradedhome.com/the-most-da...n-albuquerque/

Old 03-24-2021, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,342 times
Quote:
When I read statements like the above it is appears you don’t know the meaning of Anglo or Hispanic or you want to make two groups of people. Anglo is from England and Hispanic is descendants of Spanish. Both are European and neither were asked to come here. People paint a broad brush when they categorize groups the way you have. I don’t know your intent by saying Anglo, but I’m guessing your true meaning is white. In fact many Hispanics are white. My step father was Hispanic and his family lived in the US since the 1700s in the southeast US, they are white and none speaks Spanish. They are descendant of the Spaniards that colonized Florida and Louisiana areas. The people of color that many people refer to as Hispanic are decendants of Indeginous people and Spaniards. In some parts of the country also blacks. Before people paint a broad brush of two groups they should understand the meanings. Not to try to start an argument, but the statement is as bad as the demographics that the one person used to claim the problem was on the increasing “Hispanic” population. The problem is more complex and is the result of large cities, poor education, poor economics, sometimes poor choices and a lot of other factors. Race, color, ethnicity or whatever factor involving ones genealogy to me is irrelevant. Call a Scot an Anglo and see how that turns out.

Last edited by Djsander2020; 03-24-2021 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-24-2021, 11:36 AM

5,018 posts, read 7,407,431 times
The demographic statistics posted above are misleading, there is no way that Albuquerque was 97% "white" in 1970, unless the way Hispanics are being reported has changed. It shows in 2010 that number went down to 70% "white" but doesn't say what the other 30% identify as. It must be that Hispanics are more likely to self-report as non-white in 2010 and self-reported as white in 1950-70. The demographics of Albuquerque haven't changed that much over the decades, although there was a large infusion of non-Hispanic white people after WWII to work at the Labs and other defense-related industries and schools to support the increase in population.

In the Southwest, "Anglo" historically referred to anyone who came here speaking English as a primary language and has been used to cover any non-Hispanic European, even African-Americans. We have never reserved it for people of English descent only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque