Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 17,526 times

Advertisements

We moved to New Mexico, sight unseen, 12 months ago for my spouse's one-year residency in Albuquerque. We came during the beginnings of COVID and I was able to work at home. We would go on beautiful drives and hikes over the weekend, and the natural beauty of this state blew me away. We had moved here thinking we'd go to some other state after the residency, but then several months in starting thinking we may end up staying.

I got my COVID vaccine a couple months ago, and now I'm commuting daily and interacting more with the city, and unfortunately my views have dramatically changed. There seems to be an incredible IDGAF ethic I haven't seen anywhere else. Examples:

* I've seen and been the recipient of more "rolling coal" episodes in the last two months than I saw in 20 years of living in Texas. Now if I come up to a light, and there's a truck in front of me, I will do my best to avoid being behind it. NM residents are always bagging on Texas, but the number of rednecks here in NM is mind-numbing.

* Racer douchebags weaving dangerously in and out of traffic, on both surface streets and freeways. On the way home from work last Friday, some dude in a neon green lowered Honda Civic cut literally probably 2 feet in front of me, diagonally from the fast lane, across three lanes of traffic, no signal, almost causing further accidents. Same thing driving along San Mateo or Montgomery; constant tailgating with people trying to whip in and around you just to get 50 feet ahead. It's ridiculous.

* Intentional SUPER LOUD modifications. We were eating at Sawmill Market (very cool place, btw) a couple weekends ago, and heard this insanely loud siren. I thought it was an ambulance of fire truck. Nope. Was some dude in an old custom jalopy. Looked like a Ford from the 30s or something. He was as proud as he could be, just driving up slowly with his stupid, idiotic siren wailing away. And driving to work now, it seems like 1/3, at least, of all the motorcycles have muffler modifications of some kind to make them louder than a jet engine. I question how those riders don't suffer hearing problems very quickly. We live near Alameda, and hear them at night, frequently around 1 AM. It's loud in my bedroom. Now after commuting around, I know why.

* Extreme red-light running. Not just like about-to-enter-intersection and turns red. Like, I'm halfway into a long block, light turns yellow, and the car next to me floors it, and enters the intersection easily 2 seconds into a red, at top speed. I've seen this now three times very recently, and it has definitely altered my driving. I'm definitely waiting and looking both ways now when I get a green.

* Suicidal homeless people. There is some young dude, always on the corner of Comanche and Pan American Fwy NE. Has a tent with his poor dog. No matter if the traffic light is green, and all the cars are moving, he'll run out into traffic to grab people holding money out their windows. Why would you hold money out the window for a homeless guy when you are two or three lanes into moving traffic? Do you want him to get killed? Does he want to get killed? It's nuts. He always has a big grin on his face as he narrowly avoids getting hit. It is inevitable he's gonna get seriously injured some day.

* Oblivious Patagonia-wearing, 65-year old, shaved-leg asshats, wearing their masks wrong, acting like entitled jerks in the super market. We live in NE heights, and I've had so many occasions where people have zero supermarket etiquette. If you're gonna browse, pull your cart to the side, don't block the aisle. I've had so many of these moments where someone just has their cart parked in the middle of the aisle, they're oblivious to what's going on, I'll say 'Excuse me...can I get by?', and after a couple seconds they'll turn and give me a borderline dirty look. And it's always the same demographic.

I could go on and on. I'm also struck by the sheer number of decrepit autos on the road. Missing hood, missing bumper(s), smashed up cars driving with duct-taped closed doors, dangerously crazy customizations (truckbeds covered with what looks like galvanized steel siding that would probably slice anyone in two in the case of an accident). I joke with my wife now that I feel like driving in Albuquerque feels like Mad Max-lite.

The only plus I can say is that I see fewer accidents overall than I've seen in other places. The crazy drivers seem to have more skill. I work with someone from Las Cruces, NM, but he lives in another state now. When I told him about this he said 'just remember to never honk or you might get shot at, and try to not get in an accident 'cuz lots of these people are uninsured. oh and many are probably drunk'. I was like, wtf? I definitely had heard about not honking, and have made it a point to not honk at or gesture at anyone. Not worth it.

This state is so gorgeous...filled with natural beauty. But I'm starting to think that is not enough to make up for the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 08:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
I think you need to look at all the good that has happened to you and the good coming into the state. 1 year is not enough time to get to know a place. Yes, I have seen all the things that you mention. I ride a quiet motorscooter and an ebike. Maybe you need to live in Santa Fe? What other cities have you lived in? It seems to be the same everywhere. I lived in Denver the last 7 years and just moved here a little less than a month ago.

I lived here 10 years ago and fell in love with the place. I live near you. In Denver, I got a gun pulled on me twice. I like the casual nature of talking to people here. Do the cons outweigh the pros. This place is still relatively affordable. Why has Intel, Netflix, Amazon, and Facebook located facilities here? Yes, NM is a poor state. Where are you escaping to? I used to live in TX, CA, OR, CO, AZ, and HI. I still like NM the best.

It takes about 18 months to two years to get to know a place. Do you volunteer anywhere? What community events do you attend? Can you get over the cons here? You're the guest here. NM is one of the most unique, authentic, cultures in all of the US. I find people here are friendly, courtiest, and humble. You won't change the place. People have lived here since before 1300s.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjackbadbad View Post
We moved to New Mexico, sight unseen, 12 months ago for my spouse's one-year residency in Albuquerque. We came during the beginnings of COVID and I was able to work at home. We would go on beautiful drives and hikes over the weekend, and the natural beauty of this state blew me away. We had moved here thinking we'd go to some other state after the residency, but then several months in starting thinking we may end up staying.
My responses in red.

New Mexico is a fascinating and beautiful state with an outsized amount of unique natural and cultural features and traits that are well worth appreciating, but it is not without its challenges and shortcomings, and like all great things, it is not for everyone. With that in mind, I will briefly address some of the points below

There seems to be an incredible IDGAF ethic I haven't seen anywhere else.

That attitude is part of what is called "Mañana" culture, as in "New Mexico is the land of mañana." Definitely not one of the state's greatest traits. There is a great deal of apathy and contentment with mediocrity in New Mexico.

* I've seen and been the recipient of more "rolling coal" episodes in the last two months than I saw in 20 years of living in Texas. Now if I come up to a light, and there's a truck in front of me, I will do my best to avoid being behind it. NM residents are always bagging on Texas, but the number of rednecks here in NM is mind-numbing.

I have been a driver and cyclist in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and other parts of the Middle Rio Grande region for 30 years and never been coal rolled or even seen it. I guess I'm lucky?

* Racer douchebags weaving dangerously in and out of traffic, on both surface streets and freeways.

This seems to be a COVID era phenomenon. I rarely ever noticed it before, but since last spring it has become a nightly event. And it is not unique to Albuquerque. Apparently this has suddenly popped up across the country. Street Racing Increases Nationwide

* Intentional SUPER LOUD modifications.

As above, not just a New Mexico thing, but tends to be a thing where rural and car culture are big.

* Extreme red-light running.

Yes, New Mexico seems to be outrageously lax about red lights. Almost criminally negligently so.

* Suicidal homeless people.

This is everywhere in western cities/sunbelt cities these days. The causes are numerous and few seem to want to enact any real solutions.

* Oblivious Patagonia-wearing, 65-year old, shaved-leg asshats, wearing their masks wrong, acting like entitled jerks in the super market. We live in NE heights, and I've had so many occasions where people have zero supermarket etiquette. If you're gonna browse, pull your cart to the side, don't block the aisle. I've had so many of these moments where someone just has their cart parked in the middle of the aisle, they're oblivious to what's going on, I'll say 'Excuse me...can I get by?', and after a couple seconds they'll turn and give me a borderline dirty look. And it's always the same demographic.

Haven't seen this but I am rarely in the NE Heights. I do think supermarket ettiquette, exactly as you described, is bad here, but it is an entirely different demographic from the oddly specific one you mention that seems to usually be at fault.

I could go on and on. I'm also struck by the sheer number of decrepit autos on the road. Missing hood, missing bumper(s), smashed up cars driving with duct-taped closed doors, dangerously crazy customizations (truckbeds covered with what looks like galvanized steel siding that would probably slice anyone in two in the case of an accident). I joke with my wife now that I feel like driving in Albuquerque feels like Mad Max-lite.

No mandatory inspections, lenient regulations, poor people. This one doesn't bother me so much as the unsecured, dangeous looking pick up and trailer loads I see on I-25. In general, the Mad Max comparison makes me laugh and is admittedly not far off. :-)

The only plus I can say is that I see fewer accidents overall than I've seen in other places. The crazy drivers seem to have more skill. I work with someone from Las Cruces, NM, but he lives in another state now. When I told him about this he said 'just remember to never honk or you might get shot at, and try to not get in an accident 'cuz lots of these people are uninsured. oh and many are probably drunk'. I was like, wtf? I definitely had heard about not honking, and have made it a point to not honk at or gesture at anyone. Not worth it.

Hmmm. I see a fair number of accidents or their aftermath. I consider careless and negligent (including, but not limited to, drunk) driving to be one of Albuquerque's biggest problems.

This state is so gorgeous...filled with natural beauty. But I'm starting to think that is not enough to make up for the issues.

Like I said at the top. New Mexico is great, but not for everyone. Some might just like to visit (if that). But, if your only experience with the state is limited to a year, during COVID, no less, I'd say you are far from having really experienced what New Mexico has to offer.

On the other hand, life is too short to live somewhere that doesn't make you happy.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
1 year is not enough time to get to know a place. Yes, I have seen all the things that you mention...Maybe you need to live in Santa Fe? What other cities have you lived in? It seems to be the same everywhere...Do the cons outweigh the pros. NM is one of the most unique, authentic, cultures in all of the US. I find people here are friendly, courtiest, and humble. You won't change the place. People have lived here since before 1300s.
I spent around 20 years of my life in San Diego, CA, then 20 mostly in San Antonio, TX, with a few years split between here, Tulsa, OK, and New Rochelle, NY. I will mildly disagree about not be able to get a feel for a place after about a year, esp. one as small as ABQ. (I realize ABQ is not small, per se, but we're not talking a Houston, LA, or NYC kind of size.)

It's interesting you mention Santa Fe. I honestly don't like it. We've been up there probably 15 or 20 times over the last year. It always feels cramped and crowded when we pass through. It seems like a much older population overall. A lot of the businesses to me look run down, while so many of the ABQ storefronts are cheery and interesting. I think ABQ is a much more attractive city. I love the way it's laid out. Easiest city I've ever lived in to get around. However my spouse got a job offer there yesterday, so who knows. Everything I'd heard about Santa Fe, and what I expected, were what I saw in Taos. Santa Fe has great food though, I will admit.

I also disagree that what I mentioned is 'the same everywhere'. Have I observed these kinds of rude behaviors before? Definitely. What is unusual here is the ratio...the amount of the behaviors/attitudes in relation to the population size. I find that worrisome.

What's made me think about this a lot is we are finally discussing having kids. And I worry about raising kids somewhere where it seems like so many of the ones from here do not like it. Nearly everyone I grew up with only left CA due to financial reasons. Most of the TX people I got to know, and my spouse's classmates...all love TX. When I was in NY, same thing. People crazy about their state. Oklahoma was only one similar to NM, but to a lesser extent. However Tulsa was dull as a doorknob compared to ABQ.

Serious question: what, to you, is the 'unique, authentic, culture' of ABQ? I know about the 'mañana attitude'. Not gonna lie. Not a huge fan of that. But speaking for TX for example. When I think of TX culture, I think of: gatherings mostly based on family, football, BBQ, smaller but tighter social circles, college pride, football, extreme hospitality, agreements with a handshake, etc.

What makes so many people from here want to move away? Why is the economy so stagnant compared to AZ, CO, UT, and TX? Why is the crime so much higher? History alone to me isn't a good answer. Boston, NYC, London, Mexico City...just being old doesn't mean you have a stagnating economy and prevalence of crime.

We have moved So Many Times over the last decade that I am sick and tired of moving. I want our next move to be our last for a good long time. That, with my spouse's starting a perm career, plus talk of kids, has made me give this thought of 'where do we want to be, long term', much more thought. I find NM to be the most beautiful place I have ever lived. My favorite part of living here is walking around North Baca Domingo Park at sunset. Watching the beautiful sky, the light on the Sandias, the volcanos...I just find ABQ/NM a land of more contradictions than any place I've ever been. (Except for maybe Japan, but that's neither here nor there...)

Old 05-05-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New Mexico is great, but not for everyone...On the other hand, life is too short to live somewhere that doesn't make you happy.
That's what is so frustrating about ABQ. It has so much that we love! The clear blue skies, the food, interesting street art, great radio stations, great parks, outdoor activities, hot air balloons, wildlife, lack of traffic. People clearly like being outside. It's not all about just having a big house, a BMW and a Rolex. Totally dig that. I also like that obesity is so less prevalent here. I need to lose about 40 pounds, and won't lie: way more motivating for me here to lose weight than it was in TX, where I was on the thinner side of the overall populace. Here I'm aware I need to get fitter. I love all the funky, locally-owned businesses with quirky names. Haven't found a good guitar store though...

I have a hard time juxtaposing some of the behaviors in my post, and the overall state of crime and economy, in relation to those pros and the natural beauty of the place. It just seems like such a contradiction of a place. Another odd thing I find, is that it seems like there is an unusual amount of what I'd call 'other state bashing' from New Mexicans. 'TX and Texans suck'. 'Stupid Californians'. 'Colorado is so dull and boring'. I've joined tons of various state and city Reddit groups over the last 6 months or so, and I see that kind of attitude all the time in NM forums. Seems so little interest or desire in addressing whatever is causing some of the deeper problems. Sort of reminds me of high school, where some of my misfit friends always bashing anyone else who succeeded in any way, whether they were a jock, nerd, preppie, etc.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:55 PM

373 posts, read 377,251 times
New Mexico is a poor state. Many things you find offensive are traits of poor and rural areas everywhere in the US. New Mexico also has a history and culture that is unique in the USA. Between the ancient Spanish culture and the far more ancient native cultures, there is a lot of deep richness there, along with the wild natural beauty.

We used to make the road trip out from California every few years. We tended to skirt Santa Fe (way too touristy) and Albuquerque (cities of any sort aren't our thing), and camped in the high country, on the Big Rez, visited the wonderful little churches in the hills, where long isolation created an art and spirituality all their own. It is a very special place.

I myself would not live there, because I am fundamentally not a desert person, but I do love it.

Any time you move to a new culture and community, it really does make a difference if you invest a little in it. Go to church, volunteer, join a hiking club, meet your neighbors. You'll learn things you can't if you just stay in your own bubble.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:59 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjackbadbad View Post
I spent around 20 years of my life in San Diego, CA, then 20 mostly in San Antonio, TX, with a few years split between here, Tulsa, OK, and New Rochelle, NY. I will mildly disagree about not be able to get a feel for a place after about a year, esp. one as small as ABQ. (I realize ABQ is not small, per se, but we're not talking a Houston, LA, or NYC kind of size.)

It's interesting you mention Santa Fe. I honestly don't like it. We've been up there probably 15 or 20 times over the last year. It always feels cramped and crowded when we pass through. It seems like a much older population overall. A lot of the businesses to me look run down, while so many of the ABQ storefronts are cheery and interesting. I think ABQ is a much more attractive city. I love the way it's laid out. Easiest city I've ever lived in to get around. However my spouse got a job offer there yesterday, so who knows. Everything I'd heard about Santa Fe, and what I expected, were what I saw in Taos. Santa Fe has great food though, I will admit.

I also disagree that what I mentioned is 'the same everywhere'. Have I observed these kinds of rude behaviors before? Definitely. What is unusual here is the ratio...the amount of the behaviors/attitudes in relation to the population size. I find that worrisome.

What's made me think about this a lot is we are finally discussing having kids. And I worry about raising kids somewhere where it seems like so many of the ones from here do not like it. Nearly everyone I grew up with only left CA due to financial reasons. Most of the TX people I got to know, and my spouse's classmates...all love TX. When I was in NY, same thing. People crazy about their state. Oklahoma was only one similar to NM, but to a lesser extent. However Tulsa was dull as a doorknob compared to ABQ.

Serious question: what, to you, is the 'unique, authentic, culture' of ABQ? I know about the 'mañana attitude'. Not gonna lie. Not a huge fan of that. But speaking for TX for example. When I think of TX culture, I think of: gatherings mostly based on family, football, BBQ, smaller but tighter social circles, college pride, football, extreme hospitality, agreements with a handshake, etc.

What makes so many people from here want to move away? Why is the economy so stagnant compared to AZ, CO, UT, and TX? Why is the crime so much higher? History alone to me isn't a good answer. Boston, NYC, London, Mexico City...just being old doesn't mean you have a stagnating economy and prevalence of crime.

We have moved So Many Times over the last decade that I am sick and tired of moving. I want our next move to be our last for a good long time. That, with my spouse's starting a perm career, plus talk of kids, has made me give this thought of 'where do we want to be, long term', much more thought. I find NM to be the most beautiful place I have ever lived. My favorite part of living here is walking around North Baca Domingo Park at sunset. Watching the beautiful sky, the light on the Sandias, the volcanos...I just find ABQ/NM a land of more contradictions than any place I've ever been. (Except for maybe Japan, but that's neither here nor there...)
I lived in SATX for 5 years. Loved parts of it hated the rest. ABQ is the largest city in the State. I've noticed the same behavior in Denver, Phoenix, SF Bay Area, Portland, Honolulu, and SATX. Lots of Homeless in Denver. The country in the 21st century has gone downhill. San Diego is not the same place it was in the 80s either.

Unique culture? Where else do you find a mixture on Spanish, Native Americans, Mexicans and Anglos? Anglos being the minority? Maybe HI, South Dakota, and OKC. Haven't been to the last two places. SATX, is kind of the same as ABQ, it has a manana culture. I worked for Bexar County, SAWS and it was in fact anti progress. Anytime that you're past or near the rockies it's going to be different from the west coast. A lot of people that I met here so far are from CA. I even met a Hawaiian guy last week who's my HS classmate's sibling.

So you've established a community here in ABQ like the one that you had in SD, SATX? I've moved since 2000 about 8 times. I feel your pain about moving. This will be my last move. Why does ABQ have a high crime rate? Poverty? Systematic underfunding of Tribal infrastructure, education, city infrastructure, and a western conservative outlook. All states surrounding TX are poor. Why is UT, CO, TX, and AZ more affluent? More white people. The neat thing about NM is we're a positive TAX state meaning we receive more in funding than taxes that we pay. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...overnment/2700.

Maybe you should try OKC. Why did you leave SATX? Why not live in Austin or DFW?

Old 05-05-2021, 09:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,014 times
Quite like San Diego and San Antonio, lived in the former visited/worked in the latter many many times, but to say your laundry list of whinging is unique to our fair city or suffers in comparison, if/or even remotely based in the slightest reality is well....don't let the door hit ya...

https://i1.wp.com/rvhumor.com/wp-con...g?w=1170&ssl=1

Last edited by 66Blue; 05-05-2021 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-05-2021, 10:56 PM

312 posts, read 277,254 times
Most of the OP's beefs are traffic-related. I moved here from L.A. and found it a great relief in terms of the driving experience. Very few people honking at you, far fewer red-light runners, jerks cutting you off, etc. That said: I have seen much of what's described above. (The slowpoke left turns in heavy traffic made me nuts at first. They just sit there at the line.)

In general driving in ABQ is far less stressful than in Southern California or even South Florida. The longer you live in a place, the better you get at avoiding potential trouble spots via side streets, etc.

I agree about the supermarkets 100 percent. A lot of clueless in those aisles. They just don't know better, mostly. I just wait them out and chill. It's the ABQ way.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:50 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Sound like you lived in Texas long enough to catch on to the Texas state pastime. And that is bashing other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque