Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 09:45 AM

4,896 posts, read 4,844,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I just Googled Placitas, NM, and it's a small town with virtually no crime. Great ta have you in New Mexico, Algiz. I think you're gonna love it. We are so glad we're no longer in Washington state. Because of the nature of my medical work, we've lived in several states in the U.S. New Mexico is Mrs. elkotronics and I's favorite place to live out of all of 'em.

Congrats!
Placitas is actually a village, not a town according the way NM defines the titles of local government. Much of zip 87043 is actually outside of the village boundaries.

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2021 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 10:36 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,458,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Placitas is actually a village, not a town according the way NM defines the titles of local government. Much of zip 87043 is actually outside of the village boundaries.
It's not even officially organized as a "village" since it is not incorporated and there is no elected municipal government. In official parlance Placitas would be described as a "census-designated place" including both the village proper and all the newer housing scattered for miles around it.

However, the historical village of Placitas is part of the San Antonio de Las Huertas land grant, a late eighteenth/early nineteenth-century Spanish land grant community that still exists to an extent and has jurisdiction over the community's two acequias, or traditional irrigation ditch systems. Many Hispano land grant communities in New Mexico have resisted incorporation in favor of maintaining their traditional form of organization focused on irrigation systems, water rights, farming, mutual community aid and support, and a variety of other community functions maintained within the land grant: Las Posadas, fiestas and saint's days, etc.

And yeah, the vast majority of Placitas consists of suburban housing scattered over a much larger area than the land grant boundaries or the historical northern New Mexico village community that most Placitans refer to as "the village."

Old 06-10-2021, 03:23 PM

511 posts, read 629,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
It's not even officially organized as a "village" since it is not incorporated and there is no elected municipal government. In official parlance Placitas would be described as a "census-designated place" including both the village proper and all the newer housing scattered for miles around it.

However, the historical village of Placitas is part of the San Antonio de Las Huertas land grant, a late eighteenth/early nineteenth-century Spanish land grant community that still exists to an extent and has jurisdiction over the community's two acequias, or traditional irrigation ditch systems. Many Hispano land grant communities in New Mexico have resisted incorporation in favor of maintaining their traditional form of organization focused on irrigation systems, water rights, farming, mutual community aid and support, and a variety of other community functions maintained within the land grant: Las Posadas, fiestas and saint's days, etc. "
I appreciate the details people choose to share here on the ABQ-NM c-d and how threads evolve.

Sure, sure luck played a part, in part, on what we ended up buying in WA, but much more was from getting educated as much as possible on any pertinent topics, taking our time, and especially, especially, LISTENING.

I recognize the "census-designated place" you describe as that's our designation as well. I'm delighted l to learn that without realizing it, we've chosen to live in the same kind of place as we moved into in WA. The land and the area has the same feel as where we are now, so really, I shouldn't be surprised.

Elko, Thanks! i believe you're in Ruidoso, a place I want to visit. It sounds intriguing, esp since we're likely to experience a bit of green-to-brown shock, and it seems Ruidoso might offer some respite there!

~A

Old 06-10-2021, 05:13 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,539,568 times
Elko, Thanks! i believe you're in Ruidoso, a place I want to visit. It sounds intriguing, esp since we're likely to experience a bit of green-to-brown shock, and it seems Ruidoso might offer some respite there!

~A

Close, we're in Alamogordo. Not far (55 miles) from Ruidoso. Ruidoso is a Texan's favorite vacation spot. We in Alamogordo have a good tinge of Texas flavor in us as well. Even if we're from Washington state. Congrats on your arrival to this beautiful place, New Mexico!

Old 06-11-2021, 08:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,434,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Your host may have had mustard plants, they are common there, and you can eat the flowers.
The wild mustard that grows in the towns and cities of the Middle Rio Grande Valley, Sahara mustard, i.e. Brassica tournefortii, is a noxious invasive as are goatheads (puncture vine), and silverleaf nightshade. All are common and displace native plants such as wildflowers.

I would eliminate any and all of these growing on my property and a string trimmer would be an invaluable tool for all of these.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:12 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,458,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The wild mustard that grows in the towns and cities of the Middle Rio Grande Valley, Sahara mustard, i.e. Brassica tournefortii, is a noxious invasive as are goatheads (puncture vine), and silverleaf nightshade. All are common and displace native plants such as wildflowers.

I would eliminate any and all of these growing on my property and a string trimmer would be an invaluable tool for all of these.
The other two you mention are invasives, but silverleaf nightshade is most definitely a native plant.

I usually let it grow until the flowers finish blooming and it starts to fruit, since the local pollinators love it. But yeah, the irritating stickers on its stalks and leaves and its tendency to grow in dense thickets definitely make it one to remove after that. It has a long taproot, so you're better off pulling the individual plants up than trimming them. Make sure you wear gloves!

Old 06-11-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
The other two you mention are invasives, but silverleaf nightshade is most definitely a native plant.

I usually let it grow until the flowers finish blooming and it starts to fruit, since the local pollinators love it. But yeah, the irritating stickers on its stalks and leaves and its tendency to grow in dense thickets definitely make it one to remove after that. It has a long taproot, so you're better off pulling the individual plants up than trimming them. Make sure you wear gloves!
This is probably the plant my VRBO host said had covered his property that he had to weedwack the week before we arrived. Based on his description, the link shows plants that look familiar, and it's MUCH more likely I saw them at his place, where he'd missed a few, than here at my place.

Again, love the info. I'm bookmarking this thread to return to when we move there, so I'll keep returning to it to see what new you've thought to say that will likely help me out in the future.

Elko, I knew it ended with an "O," but I was pretty far off. I know 55 miles isn't that far, but your terrain reminds me a bit of Placitas. We're not there yet, still in WA, but should be moving soon.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:41 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,041,009 times
Bring it what do you have to lose?

Old 06-11-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Bring it what do you have to lose?
Hey, thanks for getting me back on topic. I should have followed up.

Last weekend, someone bought the wheeled walk-behind weedtrimmer that we put up on craigslist.

I came onto c-d hoping to get some insight, and I concluded our heavy-duty hand-held weedtrimmer would be all we needed, so decided to sell the walk-behind after "consulting" with people on this thread.

Oh, to move a 3200 sqft house of furniture plus rural yard equipment that we may need if we return (which is a real possibility given we left SoCal due to heat and sun, but mainly crowds, which is why we're hoping ABQ's open space and low density supersedes our preferences there), every single non-essential item is of importance NOT to bring!

We have no idea what we're going to buy house-wise, so we are loath to sell any furniture, except the stuff we don't like all that much anyway, such as inherited stuff, which is on its way out as we speak. The grand piano is currently finding a new home, so that's a relief of sorts, and yeah, the weedtrimmer didn't take up that much space, but well, it's time to downsize all around.

Old 06-11-2021, 03:51 PM

4,896 posts, read 4,844,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Last weekend, someone bought the wheeled walk-behind weedtrimmer that we put up on craigslist.

I came onto c-d hoping to get some insight, and I concluded our heavy-duty hand-held weedtrimmer would be all we needed, so decided to sell the walk-behind after "consulting" with people on this thread.
Worst case scenario, there's a Home Depot 7-8 miles west on 550.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque