Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 02:42 PM

511 posts, read 624,629 times

Advertisements

We expect to find a house to rent rural and then go home to WA, sell our house, and then move into the NM rental. This will likely take up to 3 months, so the NM rental would be empty for 2-3 months.

We'll rent a UHaul and probably move half our stuff to NM within the first month or two, and then leave all the stuff in the empty house for a good month until escrow closes and we're ready to move the rest of our goods to NM.

I'm not one to be concerned with crime and break-ins, but you can't be on this site without hearing so much about them that I wonder if I'm naive in thinking the empty house will be safe with no one living in it and then with our better things that we don't want the movers to handle left there with no one in the house.

Here's a rental we're considering. This is the kind of rural we want, but perhaps until we buy, maybe a more populated neighborhood would be the wiser way to go..?.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3163...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M18332-35206

Are we possibly asking for trouble, renting very early and leaving the house empty and then filling it with our better things and then leaving the house empty of people but full of kind of nice stuff? We'd install automatic lights to make the place look lived in, but that's likely as far as we could go to make the place look inhabited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 02:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I think you can answer your own question!

Old 07-09-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I think you can answer your own question!
Is that a...yes?

Here in WA, where I currently live rural, installing automatic lights would be enough to deter potential break-ins - enough to the degree that I'd feel relatively safe leaving the house empty knowing I'd done a decent amount of due diligence. Still, I'd know it was riskier than if I lived in the house, but the odds were in my favor that all would be well. I'm wondering if I could expect this same scenario in NM.

People like drama and extremes and focus on the bad IRL and esp on online forums. I don't know if the stuff I read is just the scared people or if they're the smart people telling it like it is.

...you made me utter a "huh!" and raise my eyebrows at myself!

Old 07-09-2021, 03:28 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
GET A HOUSE SITTER.

Empty houses are magnets to the predator class.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:43 PM

201 posts, read 291,404 times
It's impossible to know how secure that house is without having any outside pictures. Placing security cameras, flood lights, and hiring someone to come out a few times a week should do the trick. A gate is a huge help as well.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:59 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Locals will have to help you, Algiz, with this location. But having someone come to visit could help, plus security cameras and lights, etc.

A lot of what we all worry about never happens. But I get ya, who wants a bunch of morons like on 'The Italian Job' come in and make mincemeat of your stuff. Only you guys can make the call on this one. I wish you well in your move.

It'll go fine.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:01 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I'm considering all your wise suggestions and thoughts. Although we're coming out next week, I doubt we'll secure a rental so soon. Instead, we'll use the time to explore more areas per suggestions on my other thread.

When we moved from CA to WA, we put our house on the market, then when we were solidly in escrow, I flew up and found a rental. That's my preferred method and the method I'll use again with our move from WA to NM.

Much appreciated!

Old 07-14-2021, 11:20 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
I love NM and Albuquerque. But NM is a high property crime state. Have you thought of renting a large storage unit instead of storing your possessions in a house? We have some very nice storage businesses here with AC units and locked fences around the property. Sometimes the owner or a caretake actually live on the property.

A couple of months' rent wouldn't put you in the poor house, and it would give you peace of mind.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I love NM and Albuquerque. But NM is a high property crime state. Have you thought of renting a large storage unit instead of storing your possessions in a house? We have some very nice storage businesses here with AC units and locked fences around the property. Sometimes the owner or a caretake actually live on the property.

A couple of months' rent wouldn't put you in the poor house, and it would give you peace of mind.
We want to avoid paying a mortgage, house rental, and a storage unit rental. But we don't have to move anything into the house early. That would just be something we'd like to do, not essential, so it's pretty clear it's better to bring everything all at once when we're ready to move into the house.

The real thing that concerns me is leaving the house vacant and having it broken into, esp since it's not my property. I wonder if people would break into a vacant house...I mean, why? What's to steal? Squatters? Now, squatters, that would be my nightmare!

Old 07-15-2021, 01:57 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Is the landlord aware that the house will be unoccupied? Unoccupied houses require a special home insurance that covers vandalism, etc. I assume the home does not have copper pipes but that would be another attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque