Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2023, 03:06 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,072 times

Advertisements

In your opinion when was Albuquerque's hay day? The Present? The past? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 09:06 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
It depends on what you mean by hay day. The present is fine, the past was fun as I was a kid. Before Rio Rancho was built was probably the best time, in my opinion. We could ride our horses from Edith all the way to the mountains. There was a place where Bear Canyon road (which was still dirt) ended that had a path down under I-25, and we would walk our horses down that and come up the other side where there was nothing but yucca and rabbit brush. The developers had graded some roads part way, but we had a clear way all the way to the base of the Sandias. Tramway road existed and part of it was paved because it was the only way to get to the Tram.

Some days we would ride our horses to Fourth street to the Safeway. They had a big tree we would tie our horses to and go in to get bubble gum and Nehi. There were no gas stations or quickie marts in that area. My mom's cousin owned the Chevron station further south on 4th street. Starlight Dance studio was alreaady on 4th street, still there, owned by my cousin. She is getting elderly but she still runs the place.

There was also a shortcut to Highway 44, which has a different number now, from what is now called Unser that went all the way through, but that is blocked off in Rio Rancho now.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:37 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,407,431 times
If a heyday means time of popularity and rapid growth, there have been a few of them.

After the railroad was built in 1880, there was an influx of Midwesterners and Easterners and New Town was built (today's Downtown), which became a commercial center for the region. Following this, many people moved here for the high desert climate in hopes of curing tuberculosis, and stayed on, some becoming prominent citizens.

After Route 66 was completed in the late 20's, there was another heyday of automobile travel and roadside services for a few decades.

World War II probably ushered in the biggest heyday, as a huge investment was made in Sandia Labs and the Air Force Base, which led to expansion of everything else, including the University, and really put Albuquerque on the map. This was a time of rapid growth. Without that massive investment of federal dollars, Albuquerque might not be bigger than Santa Fe today, and Rio Rancho wouldn't exist. New Mexico's population size would resemble Wyoming's.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:45 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Heyday or not, I have heard people tell me how they used to go to the Alvarado Hotel for special occasions. The students from the high school would sometimes walk to the Alvarado to have a classy lunch or to watch for celebrities coming or going on the trains. The hotel opened in 1902, part of the Harvey House chain but belonged to the Santa Fe Railroad. It was demolished in 1970. From 1900 to 1970 the Albuquerque population grew from 6,238 to 244,501, mostly growing after 1940. There are actually a few relics of the old hotel located around the current Alvarado transportation center that occupies the same space. The building just south of the Amtrak and bus station was the hotel's telegraph office.

The hotel was the first interior design job that the architect Mary Colter did for the Fred Harvey company. She went on to become the company's main architect and designed most of the historic buildings you see at the south rim of the Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert Inn, and many other Harvey Hotels, including the last one in Winslow, Arizona (The La Posada is restored and open for business). Mary Colter had a strong influence on the popularity of Pueblo Revival and Mission architecture in the southwest.

http://wheelsmuseum.org/wp-content/u...rado-Hotel.pdf

Old 06-29-2023, 04:00 PM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
I would have loved to experience Albuquerque before it grew. Back when it was the size that say Roswell is today.

It's hard to believe how small all the great SW cities of today were before WWII.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:46 AM

Hotel Andaluz, in Downtown, opened in 1939 as a Hilton Hotel, and is a historic building which has undergone a successful restoration. When it first opened, it was the tallest building in New Mexico and the first building in the state with air conditioning.

I stayed there on my first visit to Albuquerque in 1989, just before relocating here. I definitely knew I was in New Mexico and not anywhere else, and it was part of what sold me on the city.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:40 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,072 times
Hey day means whatever you want it to be? The best time in your life living in ABQ.

Old 07-01-2023, 12:10 PM

There are lots of great photos online, and although the famed Alvarado Hotel was lost, many historic buildings survive that you can visit today.

Photo of Central Avenue (Route 66) downtown in the 1950's when it was still bustling, before its decline when the interstate system caused many businesses to move out to shopping malls:

Old 07-01-2023, 03:40 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
The Albuquerque Museum had a photo exhibit by a street photographer (Walter McDonald) of Albuquerque downtown in 1969 and it was jammed with pedestrians and local businesses up and down Central Ave. Quite amazing compared to today.

I haven’t stayed at the Hotel Andaluz yet. My hobby is visiting and blogging a review and photo commentary on historic hotels. (I ju$t vi$ited the La Fonda in $anta Fe.) The Guide to New Mexico Architecture has a description of the Hotel Andaluz. https://nmarchitectureguide.org/2018.../hilton-hotel/

Old 07-01-2023, 06:25 PM

Do you actually stay on location or just visit? Have you tried out the El Vado? After it stayed vacant for so long, I was glad to see it get a beautiful restoration several years ago. It opened in 1937 and was one of the first motels in New Mexico, a gem of Rte. 66. I enjoy the food and beer there after visiting the Botanic Gardens across the street.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque