Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 05:36 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer me up some suggestions on a first time visiting family from Detroit? We are going down to the ABQ for the first time and any advice, input or guidance would be appreciated. We are there for 4 days excluding arrival and departure days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 07:22 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Santa Fe, Taos, Jemez (Valdes Caldera NOT to be missed), Puye Cliff Dwellings, Georgia O'Keeffe Museum would be my stops for a first timer.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:28 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Santa Fe, Taos, Jemez (Valdes Caldera NOT to be missed), Puye Cliff Dwellings, Georgia O'Keeffe Museum would be my stops for a first timer.
All good....I would add to the list ....Sandia Peak Tramway....Old Town.....Albuquerque Museum...
and maybe ....Pueblo Cultural Center...Petroglyphs National Monument and the Zoo.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:51 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Can anyone offer me up some suggestions on a first time visiting family from Detroit? We are going down to the ABQ for the first time and any advice, input or guidance would be appreciated. We are there for 4 days excluding arrival and departure days.
I recommend a trip on the Tramway, at night you see the lights of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. During the day, depending on the time of year, you might see deer or bears running below in the mountains.

Albuquerque also has a Pueblo Cultural Center with a nice restaraunt. Also, depending on the time of year there are pueblo dancers and story tellers.

There are some nice museums, a bio park with an aquarium and a nice zoo too.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:36 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
It depends what your interests are, and the ages of the kids. Do you like museums, outdoor recreation, scenic drives, touristy shops, zoos, etc. And what time of year will you be visiting?

Old 08-26-2023, 09:52 AM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
4 days isn't much. I'd allot 2 busy days for ABQ (tramway, petroglyphs, perhaps a museum or two: the art museum's good, but may not be of interest to kids), and 2 days (=1 overnight) to Santa Fe. Santa Fe has 5+ museums, is a city that has preserved the old pueblo-style architecture (old adobe-style) in the central core, and has imitation-Pueblo architecture farther out, so there's a unified look that's unique in the US (aside from Taos, farther north). There's a children's museum, if your kids are small, a world folk art museum, a state history museum, a museum of Native American art, and others.

Northwest of Santa Fe is Los Alamos National Lab, which runs a film presentation several times daily on the history of the Manhattan Project and the creation of the town in relation to that, and has a replica of the original atomic bomb. This may or may not be of interest to kids, but there's also a science center a bit like an exploratorium in the same facility. See the Bradbury Science Museum. Outside of Los Alamos is the Valles Caldera, a regional park and nature preserve. At the right time of year (early fall), migrating herds of elk and other fauna can be observed. The drive to Los Alamos is about 30-40 minutes. Spectacular scenery on the way.

https://www.lanl.gov/museum/index.php

When were you planning to visit?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-26-2023 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-26-2023, 11:06 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
OP says they're going to ABQ for the first time. Have they been to other parts of NM before? Not sure whether they want to visit only ABQ or (since the thread is titled "Magical state") want to see different parts of the state. They must already have some idea of what they want to see or wouldn't be planning a trip here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I recommend a trip on the Tramway, at night you see the lights of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho.
And the lights of Santa Fe. That was my first look at Santa Fe, the lights at night from the top of Sandia.

Old 08-26-2023, 03:40 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
Hi all, first I want to thank you for the great advice.

I have 3 kids ages 12, 14 and 18. We will be flying in on Oct 19th and departing the 23rd in the AM at ABQ. We will stay in the area (NW New Mexico), and will have a car. I suppose if a museum is next level we will do it but will probably look more for experience oriented things that are more exciting for kids like the tram suggestion sounds great and the cliff dwellings.

My kids have never been to the Southwest so definitely wanting to show them the outdoors.

Old 08-26-2023, 05:52 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/

https://www.newmexico.org/

Old 08-26-2023, 07:09 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The Puye cliff dwellings are on tribal land, and access is controlled by the tribe. They're open seasonally, so you need to find out the schedule of when they're open. I think the tribe operates shuttles to get there, to control the crowds, and when they end the shuttle service, the attraction is closed for the late fall/winter season. If it's not open during your dates, you can go to Bandelier National Monument, which is in the same general vicinity north of Santa Fe, and walk among ancient pueblo ruins.

https://puyecliffdwellings.com/
https://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

If you do go to one of those archaeological attractions, I recommend overnighting in Santa Fe. There's hiking involved in seeing those sites, so the adults at least, if not the kids, will be tired at the end of the day. You could combine a visit to one of the archaeological sites with a visit to Los Alamos and the Bradbury Science Museum there, possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque