Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 05:21 PM

6,891 posts, read 4,346,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerDavidJohn View Post
Fair enough, but then again, you don't know my Sisters... I, myself had some left over Tamales I steamed for dinner, with of course red chile. For the record, we are doing local fare in Old Towne while they are visiting.

That's true enough, and I certainly know eaters in my extended family who basically want to eat at your standard burger/sandwich grill type places everywhere they go.

I think the main issue and why people respond somewhat negatively is that Italian food tends to often be pretty mediocre in areas without a notable Italian community (and even in those areas one has to be pretty choosy), while there's a golden rule about seafood that for a really good experience you wanna eat it the day it was caught which of course is pretty unlikely in New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 06:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,044,676 times
As a former fisherman. You actually want to eat seafood a day after its been caught. Reason being is the muscle tissue loosens up a day later.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:47 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,261,877 times
Paisanos is pretty decent. Terrific homemade house dressing. If they sell it by the bottle get some!
Seafood? In Albuquerque? People would be putting green chile on lobster thermidore. I've been in this state for a decade and haven't found good seafood yet, sorry to say.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:09 PM

9,390 posts, read 20,878,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
As a former fisherman. You actually want to eat seafood a day after its been caught. Reason being is the muscle tissue loosens up a day later.
That is truly the ultimate experience. One of the best experiences I've ever had: flats fishing in Marathon, Florida. My friend and I caught grouper, and had them cooked up at a restaurant we went to that evening. I don't think anything can top what I tasted that evening.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Paisanos is pretty decent. Terrific homemade house dressing. If they sell it by the bottle get some!
Seafood? In Albuquerque? People would be putting green chile on lobster thermidore. I've been in this state for a decade and haven't found good seafood yet, sorry to say.
I know of one place, but it's here in Las Cruces (Mesilla actually): Hacienda. Best chilean sea bass, my gosh.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:32 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,481,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That's true enough, and I certainly know eaters in my extended family who basically want to eat at your standard burger/sandwich grill type places everywhere they go.

I think the main issue and why people respond somewhat negatively is that Italian food tends to often be pretty mediocre in areas without a notable Italian community (and even in those areas one has to be pretty choosy), while there's a golden rule about seafood that for a really good experience you wanna eat it the day it was caught which of course is pretty unlikely in New Mexico.
New Mexico has rivers and lakes with trout, bass, and catfish.

I eat sushi in NM pretty regularly, and I think it's just as good as sushi I've had on the coasts, where I've had some that wasn't that good. Living near an ocean is no guarantee that what you're being served is fresh or good quality.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:10 PM

192 posts, read 258,276 times
It's a shame that so many are portraying Albuquerque as only a destination for New Mexican food. The diversity in different foods throughout the metro is impressive and it might be the one thing we can all agree on.
You can get great food out here from Vietnamese, to Italian, to Thai and Indian.
For the OP I would suggest you go to M'Tuccis. They have four restaurants spread throughout the city and the food is incredible.
For seafood you should consider Slapfish, it's not a traditional restaurant but the food is good and fresh.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:44 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,481,902 times
In case anyone's interested, and to counter the notion that "there can be no fish in the desert!", here's a history of the state's six fish hatcheries, which goes back to 1921. The Los Ojos Fish Hatchery south of Chama is capable of producing 3 million trout yearly. The fish are used to stock waters statewide:

https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/fis...sh-hatcheries/

Old 03-31-2024, 11:04 AM

16 posts, read 4,834 times
I had Rigatoni at the Mykonos Greek on Eubank. Loaded with homemade sausage. Better than pasta meal I've had at M'Tucci's. Beautiful bar too.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
In case anyone's interested, and to counter the notion that "there can be no fish in the desert!", here's a history of the state's six fish hatcheries, which goes back to 1921. The Los Ojos Fish Hatchery south of Chama is capable of producing 3 million trout yearly. The fish are used to stock waters statewide:

https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/fis...sh-hatcheries/
Never developed a taste for trout. But Halibut, Red Snapper, Wahoo, etc, hell yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque