Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dr. Benjamin Brooks passed away, loved New Mexico heritage, culture, scenery, cuisine, accomplished doctor, traveled nation, published author of textbooks

Old 09-27-2008, 05:15 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,253,905 times

Advertisements

one of it's most unlikely cheerleaders. My employer here in TN- Dr. Benjamin Brooks.
He's the one who helped, along with y'all, to hype me up for our visit and eventual move. He told me where to eat, what to see and tried his best to prepare me for the greatness that is green chile.

He landed in Alb. as a young college student and hated it so much, he hitchiked to Mobile, Alabama and begged for entrance there. Denied, he began to pine for New Mexico and made his way back. He schooled there, fell in love, married and had children there. He taught, he wrote and eventually, he moved. But New Mexico- her beauty, her people- the very essence OF......... never left his body. The man traveled the nation, he wrote more psychological papers, books and textbooks that you can imagine- heck, his resume is 22 pages long! But he so fondly remembered the East Mountains area and promised to go back one day.
Now he'll never return, except in spirit- and those of us with the image of our grumpy *drill sargent* will remember him, and his love of New Mexico fondly.
Just a few hours after his unexpected demise, a few of us women who worked closely with him took ourselves to the hole in the wall Mexican place down the road and stuffed ourselves- in his honor. The pastries they kept bringing out FRESH, that we loaded up on for later was purely for us, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
one of it's most unlikely cheerleaders. My employer here in TN- Dr. Benjamin Brooks.
He's the one who helped, along with y'all, to hype me up for our visit and eventual move. He told me where to eat, what to see and tried his best to prepare me for the greatness that is green chile.

He landed in Alb. as a young college student and hated it so much, he hitchiked to Mobile, Alabama and begged for entrance there. Denied, he began to pine for New Mexico and made his way back. He schooled there, fell in love, married and had children there. He taught, he wrote and eventually, he moved. But New Mexico- her beauty, her people- the very essence OF......... never left his body. The man traveled the nation, he wrote more psychological papers, books and textbooks that you can imagine- heck, his resume is 22 pages long! But he so fondly remembered the East Mountains area and promised to go back one day.
Now he'll never return, except in spirit- and those of us with the image of our grumpy *drill sargent* will remember him, and his love of New Mexico fondly.
Just a few hours after his unexpected demise, a few of us women who worked closely with him took ourselves to the hole in the wall Mexican place down the road and stuffed ourselves- in his honor. The pastries they kept bringing out FRESH, that we loaded up on for later was purely for us, though.
Thanks for sharing your views on this man who meant so much to you.

Nita

Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,034,356 times
Rose,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of a person whom you admired so much.

And very sorry that New Mexico has lost a person who loved the state so much. Thank goodness he helped inspire you to make the move.

Too bad he wasn't able to return to New Mexico for the end of his days.....

Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,253,905 times
Thanks guys.

I met his daughter and his ex-wife, both originally from NM over the weekend. The ex-wife still lives in Las Cruces, the daughter is in Miami now. We had a nice talk about NM during the course of the weekend. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque