Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times

Advertisements

We will be updating my parent's home for resale and we are wondering what to choose for a floor in the large kitchen and adjacent utility room. We are looking at replacing the laminate countertop also. The house is probably in the $450,000 range.

There is woodlike pergo in the adjacent family room, hallway and bath. Ther is currently a light colored vinyl in the kitchen (high end but needs to be replaced).

We were thinking tile or high quality vinyl (easier on the legs) for flooring. If it were up to me I would put in hardwood, but that means replacing pergo also. It would be a huge cost to do that and maybe not necessary as the kitchen is quite large.

Granite is the popular countertop where I live, but maybe not in Albuquerque.

I would appreciate any input as we will be doing this very soon and will be in the area next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM

72 posts, read 195,763 times
For a home in that price-range, you really want to avoid vinyl flooring. Granite is a good choice of countertop but Corian also is not bad. I would probably also replace the Pergo.

The main factor, however, is the market your home is competing against. It would be wise to hire a Realtor and see what the comparative market analysis tells you.

If the homes you are competing against have Granite countertops, hardwood flooring, refrigerated air and high-class appliances, than you have to upgrade likewise to make your home competative and appealing.

If comperable homes have synthetic flooring or countertops, then you may be able to get away with doing less; or you could upgrade and further distinguish your house from others.

I would recommend not cutting corners in the kitchen in particular, a high-end kitchen could be a great selling-point.

Good luck with the re-model and selling!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,674 times
I've seen a lot more Corian countertops in ABQ than granite. I try to spec as little granite as possible in our firm, but I can see how it is desirable (sans the whole radiation thing).

As far as floors. Laminates are getting better every year.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:20 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
I personally like Silestone countertops.

HOWEVER, here in New Mexico (to me, anyway) tile counters look the most traditional in my southwestern style house, and I have white tile in my kitchen and painted Mexican tile in my bathrooms.

Same for floors. In other parts of the country, I think hardwood/laminates are the most popular. However, I have Saltillo tile throughout my house here in Santa Fe, and to me it just looks more southwestern.

All the tile in my house was exactly what I was looking for when we were househunting. That is just my own personal opinion, though.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18holes View Post
We will be updating my parent's home for resale and we are wondering what to choose for a floor in the large kitchen and adjacent utility room. We are looking at replacing the laminate countertop also. The house is probably in the $450,000 range.

There is woodlike pergo in the adjacent family room, hallway and bath. Ther is currently a light colored vinyl in the kitchen (high end but needs to be replaced).

We were thinking tile or high quality vinyl (easier on the legs) for flooring. If it were up to me I would put in hardwood, but that means replacing pergo also. It would be a huge cost to do that and maybe not necessary as the kitchen is quite large.

Granite is the popular countertop where I live, but maybe not in Albuquerque.

I would appreciate any input as we will be doing this very soon and will be in the area next week.
Granite would be fine, but corian is also very nice and probably more popular in NM. As for flooring in the kitchen, there is nothing like hardwood or something similar. We left NM about 4 months ago, had all white tile in the kitchen, family area, entry and laundry. Number 1, it is very hard to keep clean, number 2, not very popular today and number 3, very hard on the legs. Here, we I don't know if what we have, but it has a little give, (I think it is some kind of laminated flooring) absolutely love it and my legs feel 100% better. If the house does not have central heat and air, add that also.

Why don't you visit some model homes to see what is being offered? That will help you decide what is best in todays market...

Nita

Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
I'm doing my house here in TN in order to sell and move to NM. We already have tile counters in the kitchen and stainless steel appliances. I'm replacing the larger area (small bath, dining and kitchen/pantry) that is currently poorly done tile with a high end cherry laminate. I just finished tiling the carpeted bath and the concrete floored entry. We're going as high end as possible, and as is prudent- but the only two houses that have sold in the last bit here went for 450,000 and 1.5 mil. so by doing the work ourselves we should see a good return. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If the house does not have central heat and air, add that also.
Maybe Santa Fe is different than Albuquerque.

The preferred type of heat -- at least in Eldorado where we concerntrated our house hunt - was radiant heat under the floors.

Do some homes in ABG have radiant heat, and is it popular?

Old 10-02-2008, 02:00 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,674 times
I've only been in one home in ABQ that has radiant.... it was really nice!

A friend of mine just finished his home in Aztec (near the Animas)... he doesn't think the floors heat-up fast enough.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Well, we arrived in May -- so we haven't turned on our radiant yet -- but we're anxious to see how it works when the time comes.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Maybe Santa Fe is different than Albuquerque.

The preferred type of heat -- at least in Eldorado where we concerntrated our house hunt - was radiant heat under the floors.

Do some homes in ABG have radiant heat, and is it popular?
Radiant heat is great, but there still needs to be central air. I think because you are just that much higher in altitude you don't have the heat (dry or not) Abq has been getting. I know all the new and newer houses being built in Valencia county had central heat and air. Anyone paying over $400,000 for a home in Alq would expect central air. Now, $100,000 that might be a little different.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque