Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,271 times

Advertisements

Hello. . .I looked around this forum and I couldn't find anything about the University itself, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge about academics, what kind of atmosphere is there, any info about the studio art program, etc etc.

I'm also wondering about how much there is to do in Albuquerque for someone in my age group. (18-22) I love seeing live music, love seeing art, liberal-minded, open to new experiences. I want things to do at night. I've visited New Mexico briefly, and fell in love with the place. As cliche as it sounds, the mountains and sunset sealed the deal, as well as the whole feel of the place. I can't afford another trip that way unless it's to go to school.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. It is so greatfully appreciated.

Last edited by slim drifter; 03-04-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,913,600 times
Well, I went there almost 20 yrs ago so my opinion might be outdated - I am sure other people on this forum did as well. There is one person who posts here sometimes that is a TA/gradstudent (I think??) there.

I'd say its pretty laid back. At the lower undergrad level, overall it did not seem expectations were too high. There were, I believe, 2 or 3 remedial/developmental levels of Reading/English and Math. Once a student gets into their major classes or a program, there is higher expectation.

There are a lot of non-traditional students there. There is also a community of traditional students, for sure, but the population is pretty diverse. Lots of commuter students.

When I went to school there, friends and I either went downtown to the bars on central between 1st and 6th streets, or to Midnight Rodeo. Not sure where you'd go out late-night now.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
slim drifter claimed:

> I looked around this forum and I couldn't find anything about the University itself, ...

Did you look here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...round-unm.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-downtown.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...d-housing.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...hill-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...l-secrets.html

I used a search of [ UNM ] in the search box and those are just a few of
( 15 pages - 30 threads to a page ) the threads with UNM in it.

You can also search on [ university of New Mexico ]

There is also The University of New Mexico for "studio art program" and such

If you do the leg work in that database, you'll find stuff on [Nob Hill]
and [downtown albuquerque] and other for "things to do at night."

Note that anything posted by me, mortimer, is likely to be especially good.

Last edited by mortimer; 03-05-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,903 times
I did my undergrad at UNM and liked it a lot. You'll get a decent education and there's plenty to do if you seek it out.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,745,273 times
I went to UNM from out of state and absolutly loved it. The campus is very distinct with beautiful landscaping. The Central Ave. strip that borders the University is one of the better college strips I have seen. As many students would proudly attest, there is alot around to get yourself in trouble. Tatoo parlors by the dozen, chic and hippy cafes, fun bars and interesting shops. Campus life exist but you must find it. There is a little bit of a greek life still remaining and it is a great way for an out of state student to make friends and find their place on campus. The academics are as good as any university, however some people doubt some of this only because the campus attitude is very laid back, very southwestern.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,933 times
Default Questions about the University of New Mexico

I am considering attending graduate school at UNM, but know very little about the campus and surrounding area. Is the campus safe? Are there affordable safe places to live in the surrounding area (possibly around $500 or less)? I will be working toward my MFA there and most likely be working very late hours in my studio. As a female- should I be concerned about walking around late at night? I am from a small town in Ohio- but recieved my undergraduate at the University of Akron- which also has a kind of seedy- off campus housing area. Does anyone have any advice about Albuquerque?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 AM

32 posts, read 116,445 times
Just last year I was in your same position, wondering if I should attend UNM for grad school. My main concern was safety. I decided to come and it was a great choice. If you are worried about safety at night you can always call the campus police for a safe ride. I don't live near campus because I wanted to be extra safe and the police reports there showed some robberies and thefts. I don't know about rent in that area. If you are worried about safety, Albuquerque is much safer than many other cities. And the weather is absolutely amazing!! Good luck in your decision! Send me a message if you have any other questions about the campus or the city.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
Check out this thread and come back with specific questions:

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...d-housing.html

Also, searching using [UNM] and [ghetto] and possibly [Central] and [Nob Hill] will help you out.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM

32 posts, read 116,445 times
If you are thinking about moving, just look into places you are intersted in and then call the police for a police report. You give them an address and they give you the statistics over the phone - really nice and easy! Or go here for daily/monthly maps: Daily Crime Map

You might have to give up living right next to campus if you are a really, extra cautious person. But plenty of people I know live near campus and have no complaints. I'm one of those extra cautious people that commute though.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,403,274 times
I have lived one block south of UNM for almost 19 years. There is crime in this neighborhood, the most common being littering. I'm sick of picking up your McDonald's wrappers, people!

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque