Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM

76 posts, read 137,676 times

Advertisements

I remember the A-Pool, and the snack bar, and the lush, green grass under the shade. Being a relatively dumb kid it took quite a while before it dawned on me why it was called the "A" pool.

Nobody remembers the Shakey's Pizza at the narrow corner of Carlisle and Lomas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 19,003 times
I remember Franks and their "Taco Burger"....seemed bigger than Bobs. And does anyone recall the A&W rootbeer in the cone shaped quart container?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 PM

26 posts, read 43,065 times
I remember Frank's too, I was so disappointed when they moved Downtown (and died). They did have the best Taco Burgers, Bob's could not hold a candle to them.
And after Frank's for dinner, my dad would drive down the street to Fitzgerald's Ice Cream Parlor.
Anybody remember Cocina de Carlos or Baca's? Cocina de Carlos was a mom and pop run by the Montoya Family and Baca's started out sorta small and then grew fast.
Anybody here ever eat at Polly's Cafeteria, down west of Martinez Town?
Albuquerque had some great small home cooking dinners back in the day. Not many chains around.
Very sad.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFlame View Post
Albuquerque had some great small home cooking dinners back in the day. Not many chains around.
Very sad.

Albuquerque still has many great local places today. We very rarely go to chain restaurants and have a large variety of local places to choose from.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM

41 posts, read 86,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
Claremont and Wyoming grocery store was called Thrifty. And yes, I remember the A&W on Wyoming near Constitution.

Kelly Liquors?
Burger Chef on Menaul by San Pedro?
Baldridge?
Vip's Big Boy?
Spaghetti Machine?
The Roxy?
Big Valley Cattle Company?
Geejos or Zip's build your own sundae bar?
Natural Sound records and tapes?
The General Store? (head shop across from Hoffmantown on Menaul)
I loved the Spaghetti Machine when I was a kid. It such a fun place to eat.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Remember the Pup-n-Taco on Central ?? It closed last year.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Remember the Pup-n-Taco on Central ?? It closed last year.

We used to ride our bikes there (the one on Washington & Central) when I was a kid. We'd get 8 tacos for a dollar or some ridiculously cheap price like that. Then we'd ride over to Winchell's Doughnuts on Washington & Zuni for a sugar fix. Good times!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 20,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I remember it. My friend lived within walking distance so we used to go swimming there in the summer. There was a Church's Chicken (or something similar) neary by where we used to walk to afterward and buy french fries. I don't remember Peter Pan or Yucca Elementary.

Does anyone remember Shakey's Pizza? the 29 Cent Hamburger Stand? Graham Central Station? The Terrace Drive-In? the "U" Mountain (white rocks on the side of the Sandia Mountains in the shape of the letter "U" for "UNM"?
I saw "Red Dawn" at the Terrace! I loved the Hamburger Stand - only thing I could afford when I first moved out. I do remember Shakey's, Graham Central and the Spaghetti Machine. Loved the Spaghetti Machine. And what was the ice-cream place...crazy name...on Eubank??...they ran around with a big bowl in a stretcher, yelling and stuff for birthdays????

Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMark View Post
I remember the A-pool, but was young and don't remember where it was.
We used to call it the"A" Hole

Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 19,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
Claremont and Wyoming grocery store was called Thrifty. And yes, I remember the A&W on Wyoming near Constitution.

Kelly Liquors?
Burger Chef on Menaul by San Pedro?
Baldridge?
Vip's Big Boy?
Spaghetti Machine?
The Roxy?
Big Valley Cattle Company?
Geejos or Zip's build your own sundae bar?
Natural Sound records and tapes?
The General Store? (head shop across from Hoffmantown on Menaul)
I was a dishwasher at the Roxy for about a month back in 84 maybe 85 (guess I wasn't much good at it) they fired me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque