Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 27,523 times

Advertisements

I will potentially be moving to Albuquerque in about 6 months. I am looking for an apartment complex, townhouses, or rental house. My problem is not finding one per se, but finding one that will accept my dog. I have a dog who is half American Pit Bull terrier (not even full bred). She's the sweetest dog in the world, but I know that most rental places in ABQ have told me that they either don't take any dogs or no pit bulls, rottweilers, german shepherds, etc.

Any ideas for me? Has anyone else had this problem? I have not encountered the breed specific issues here in my hometown, so I'm not sure what my options are. Thanks for any help!!

P.S. Please no disparaging comments regarding pit bulls, that is not wanted nor helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 08:12 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
I cant tell you anything about Albuquerque but my husband and I are renting a duplex in Florida. We asked when we moved in if it was okay to have our dogs and they didnt even ask what breed they were they just said it was fine. Later they found out that we have 2 american pit bull terriers and they got upset, they said we should have told them that.. but they didnt do anything because of it. Does your dog have papers or anything saying that it is an american pit bull terrier mix?? If you dont have anything saying the breed you can always just tell them that you dont know what breed your dog is... there are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistaken for "pit bulls" so you could also just pick one of those breeds and say its that and whatever else.. but idk.. thats about all the advice I can offer. I am sorry you are going through this crap! Its BS to me! lol.. but good luck!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,095 times
Default Is Albuquerque pet friendly for rentals?

My daughter, her baby boy and I are relocating to Albuquerque in a couple of months (possibly sooner)
I have heard it's one of the pet friendliest cities, and am wondering if that's true when applied to renting. We are looking for a 3 bedroom and trying to stay at or under 800. She's going to college, but I'll be looking for a job to keep me occupied. As I'm a cook, that doesn't sound like it will be much of a problem.
Are there any real estate agencies (reputable) that handle rentals?
Have accumulated quite a bit of information on the area, and after living in rainy Washington state most of my live, I'm ready for some sun.
Any suggestions on the above, as well as things to do with a one year old?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottielady54 View Post
My daughter, her baby boy and I are relocating to Albuquerque in a couple of months (possibly sooner)
I have heard it's one of the pet friendliest cities, and am wondering if that's true when applied to renting. We are looking for a 3 bedroom and trying to stay at or under 800. She's going to college, but I'll be looking for a job to keep me occupied. As I'm a cook, that doesn't sound like it will be much of a problem.
Are there any real estate agencies (reputable) that handle rentals?
Have accumulated quite a bit of information on the area, and after living in rainy Washington state most of my live, I'm ready for some sun.
Any suggestions on the above, as well as things to do with a one year old?
Albuquerque is a pet friendly city, but some places allow pets and some do not. Real Estate agencies are not allowed to advertise on this site. You might read through these threads about renting:

ABQ Renting - How important are credit checks?
renting a house/condo
Looking For a Home To Rent
Looking for a rental...
Check local newspapers:

Albuquerque Journal Classifieds: ABQjournal Classifieds.

Rio Rancho Observer Classifieds: rr-www2.rrobserver.com: Classifieds

You might also check: Factsheets : Unknown Fact Sheet

Old 03-27-2014, 10:49 AM

850 posts, read 3,719,138 times
One rental agency I would get in contact with is Ammre. Their website lists all of their rentals and nearly all accept pets. I believe they do charge a monthly fee, but in my case I negotiated out of paying the fee. They're really nice to work with too. Craigslist is always helpful as well.

My success in finding rentals with pets here has been better than others cities I've lived. I don't think you'll have a problem. What you might have a problem with is finding a 3 bedroom house for $800. They are here, but the area probably won't be too good.

By the way, I grew up near Seattle in Gig Harbor, so I know what you mean by needing sun. I recommend visiting here prior to moving to make sure it's your cup of tea.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
scottielady54 - congrats to ya on wanting ta move down here. I live in Alamogordo, in south-central New Mexico. I was born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds, WA. I lived my first 42 years in Washington state. I am saddened by the mudslide news from the Oso-Darrington, but I've got ta tell you, I would not be interested in moving back to Washington state.

I love Washington and it's natural beauty, but my goodness that state is so wet and so moist and so...muddy! I know it so well, it's my homeland, I actually prefer the Skagit Valley to Seattle, but wow!

New Mexico will be fine for you, I'm predicting. I think New Mexico is a state that you can Google your way to happiness to. I really do. You already know a lot about New Mexico having never been here. It has sun-sun-sun-sun-sun-sun and more sun. It gets hot in southern New Mexico but as long as your Mitsubishi has A/C in it, your rental home has decent A/C (or you can rig something suitable up, it's quite do-able), your favorite stores are well air-conditioned and your workplace is well air-conditioned, you will be just fine.

Google hot air balloons and New Mexico, Albuquerque, Alamogordo, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Roswell and on and on and perhaps Billy the Kid. Also Google White Oaks, NM, and Billy the Kid. And also Google Ruidoso, it's a lovely little town up in the mountains NE of us here in Alamogordo.

Google Smoky Bear in New Mexico, too. You'll find that he got his start here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque