Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM

414 posts, read 1,020,430 times

Advertisements

Hey all, was looking for advice about moving and came across this website and thought I could get some opinions.

First, a little background information. I'm a 20 (21 in a 1.5 months, actually) year old college student in Illinois hoping to become a teacher. My dad was in the airforce before he retired, and from 2001-2005 we lived in Albuquerque. From the minute we drove over the border, stayed the night in Tucumcari, and watched my first NM sunset at 13 I fell in love with NM. The following years served to cement this feeling even further. However, in 2005 (my junior year of high school), we moved to Illinois. I originally thought I'd just finish up my remaining year of HS in IL and then move back to NM. Unfortunately, at the time one major motivator for me to do that was the fact that I had a girlfriend back in NM (lol high school relationships). When the relationship inevitably ended, I decided to follow my parents' advice and at least go to college in IL where I could save money, live at home, and get a good education. I decided to do that for several reason- the primary being family. The couple years in IL before my dad retired were pretty stressful for everyone (my dad mostly, because of his job), and I thought I could show my appreciation for all he went through (i.e. working this job so we could have money for college) for us kids by at least sticking around for college.

All in all, college has been pretty cool. I've really enjoyed spending more time with my family, and things are much better than when I was originally entertaining the thought of moving to NM. Now the only problem is that the tables have turned. Everyone else in my family is content, but I'm not. All through college I've realized that, despite the fact that I love my family and friends, I'm not really "home". I've tried to just be content living here, but it hasn't worked. I've made friends, gotten several jobs, enjoyed school adn family, but this just isn't where I'm "meant" to be. I've been able to keep the itch to move back under control the last few years, but the closer I get to graduation the harder it gets. I'm at the point where I know I should move back, but am unable to get around the "how".

As I said, I'm finishing up my junior year and hoping to be a teacher. I've got one more year of college to get through and then a semester of student teaching. Add on another semester before I can get a job and relocate, and I've got two or so more years here that I THINK I can get through without going crazy Of course, the problem is actually getting back.

First, finding a job. Honestly, I'm not sure how to do this from a distance. I know sending in applications is an important, but being out of state gives me a pretty huge handicap in finding a job. I could take some time and just go out there in person to make a better impression, but that all costs money.

Second, the family. They know I want to go back, and they seem to accept it, but I'm pretty sure they don't necessarily LIKE it, which I understand. I know they'll support me in whatever I do, but I hate having that small feeling that I'm betraying them by moving away. It's most definitely all in my head, but still.

Third is more elusive. Mostly it's driven by fear. What happens if moving back isn't the solution to my discontent? I think (and hope) that it is, but there's always that "What if?". Maybe I should just get a job here and try to make things work? My gut tells me that it's not the right thing to do, but common sense and logic says it is.

Anyways, that's where I stand right now. I've still got time to figure this out, but I need to start thinking about it. I'm looking for any advice, suggestions, thoughts, or comments. Thanks in advance

Small edit: I'm also a little nervous about living so far from home on my own. I lived by myself for a year, but under differenent circumstances. I'm not sure how I'd take living 2000 miles away with little/no support system. I think I could do it fine (I'm pretty resilient after all this moving), but there is that doubt as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM

17 posts, read 191,915 times
Speaking as someone who moved cross-country and back twice...At your stage in life--go ahead and jump! The worst that could happen would be that you find you don't like it and if that is the case, you can always move back closer to your family. With regard to finding a job: you could check the NM Public Education Department website to see what the requirements are for getting a teacher's license. If you can start the licensing process before applying for jobs it might help show potential employers that you are serious about NM. You say you have 2 more years, plenty of time to plan a potential move... You don't have anything to lose by trying!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 PM

439 posts, read 1,222,073 times
I moved to NM when I was 21, from London. I didn't know a soul. I had a job lined up which made a huge difference, but the rest was a gamble. It worked out great for me...but without a job and a place to stay lined up I think it would have been really hard. It's understandable to feel really nervous about it, because it is a big gamble, but 21 is young enough to start again if something doesn't work out.

Don't really know where you can look other than the place the other poster suggested. That might be a good start. Maybe ask people in your program how you could get in contact with a teaching authority in another state?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 AM

125 posts, read 478,040 times
We want to move out west and like ABQ and have all the what if's and family stuff too. You can find jobs on carrer builder or monster, also brouse for appartments, homes, jobs ect on craigslist.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:40 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,882 times
You're young, be patient, set flexible goals and let things work themselves out. Don't get discouraged by minor setbacks. Keep your eye on the prize.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:37 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times
Good luck to you. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I don't think I can give you any more advice than what has been previously mentioned. However, I am not surprised that the land of enchantment could have that affect on a person.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,430 times
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I've visited the NMPED website to see their policy on teaching license, etc. I also emailed them, and they said that the accept out-of-state licenses, so getting a teaching license will not be a problem since I'll have an Illinois one when I graduate. As it's been pointed out, I have a bit of time to get ready. Thankfully I know some NM teachers so I'll see if they can help me out a little... :-D

The hardest thing for me is being patient. It's been quite a while (4 years now? Wow...), and now that graduation's getting closer I'm getting antsy. I'll just keep plugging away like I've been doing, though. I'll also poke my head in this board every so often to see what's happening :-P

Once again, thanks for the encouraging comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
Hey all, was looking for advice about moving and came across this website and thought I could get some opinions.

First, a little background information. I'm a 20 (21 in a 1.5 months, actually) year old college student in Illinois hoping to become a teacher. My dad was in the airforce before he retired, and from 2001-2005 we lived in Albuquerque. From the minute we drove over the border, stayed the night in Tucumcari, and watched my first NM sunset at 13 I fell in love with NM. The following years served to cement this feeling even further. However, in 2005 (my junior year of high school), we moved to Illinois. I originally thought I'd just finish up my remaining year of HS in IL and then move back to NM. Unfortunately, at the time one major motivator for me to do that was the fact that I had a girlfriend back in NM (lol high school relationships). When the relationship inevitably ended, I decided to follow my parents' advice and at least go to college in IL where I could save money, live at home, and get a good education. I decided to do that for several reason- the primary being family. The couple years in IL before my dad retired were pretty stressful for everyone (my dad mostly, because of his job), and I thought I could show my appreciation for all he went through (i.e. working this job so we could have money for college) for us kids by at least sticking around for college.

All in all, college has been pretty cool. I've really enjoyed spending more time with my family, and things are much better than when I was originally entertaining the thought of moving to NM. Now the only problem is that the tables have turned. Everyone else in my family is content, but I'm not. All through college I've realized that, despite the fact that I love my family and friends, I'm not really "home". I've tried to just be content living here, but it hasn't worked. I've made friends, gotten several jobs, enjoyed school adn family, but this just isn't where I'm "meant" to be. I've been able to keep the itch to move back under control the last few years, but the closer I get to graduation the harder it gets. I'm at the point where I know I should move back, but am unable to get around the "how".

As I said, I'm finishing up my junior year and hoping to be a teacher. I've got one more year of college to get through and then a semester of student teaching. Add on another semester before I can get a job and relocate, and I've got two or so more years here that I THINK I can get through without going crazy Of course, the problem is actually getting back.

First, finding a job. Honestly, I'm not sure how to do this from a distance. I know sending in applications is an important, but being out of state gives me a pretty huge handicap in finding a job. I could take some time and just go out there in person to make a better impression, but that all costs money.

Second, the family. They know I want to go back, and they seem to accept it, but I'm pretty sure they don't necessarily LIKE it, which I understand. I know they'll support me in whatever I do, but I hate having that small feeling that I'm betraying them by moving away. It's most definitely all in my head, but still.

Third is more elusive. Mostly it's driven by fear. What happens if moving back isn't the solution to my discontent? I think (and hope) that it is, but there's always that "What if?". Maybe I should just get a job here and try to make things work? My gut tells me that it's not the right thing to do, but common sense and logic says it is.

Anyways, that's where I stand right now. I've still got time to figure this out, but I need to start thinking about it. I'm looking for any advice, suggestions, thoughts, or comments. Thanks in advance

Small edit: I'm also a little nervous about living so far from home on my own. I lived by myself for a year, but under differenent circumstances. I'm not sure how I'd take living 2000 miles away with little/no support system. I think I could do it fine (I'm pretty resilient after all this moving), but there is that doubt as well.
I give you credit for trying to think this thing out. No one can advise you or make up your mind but here are my thoughts:

1-you are remembering a place you loved as a teen, often, returning you see a whole different picture. This is not to say you would be disappointed but I remember my own kids> We moved our son when he was about to start his senior year in highschool. We went from So Ca to NO Va. Our oldest daughter had just gotten married and our middle daughter was about to start her 2nd year of college. With the exception of our oldest daughter, the kids just knew their life would always be Ca. As it turned out, after returned a couple of times they decided there were many places much more appealing. They were living in a teens fantasy world.

2-you are not sure you want to be so far from family. This indicates you are a close family which is wonderful..For this reason you may want to sit back for awhile.

3-of course you are right about the sunsets and sunrises,,,they are awesome.

4-I would suggest you visit again, maybe during a spring break, but even that will not give you a true feeling, you will be looking at Abq as a tourist instead of a resident. I will say, the area has changed in the past 5-10 years, it has grown, their are houses everywhere and the traffic, though nothing like some areas is not as slow or easy as it once was.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Nita

Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman View Post
We want to move out west and like ABQ and have all the what if's and family stuff too. You can find jobs on carrer builder or monster, also brouse for appartments, homes, jobs ect on craigslist.
He will have his education and wants to be a teacher. From what I have heard from many, Monster isn't what it is cracked up to be. For the OP, if he really wants to make the move he needs to contact the various school districts...

Craigslist is also questionable..

Nita

Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM

125 posts, read 478,040 times
Just my 2 cents, thanks for the negative reply though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque