Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan to move back to Albuq. and have made an offer on a new home to be built in Bernalillo. We lived in the NE Heights in 88-90 and have been looking forward to returning for years (even though we never dreamed back then we would move to Bernalillo, but it's really nice now). The problem is that I now have a serious heart problem and I'm concerned about the altitude. After all, Albuq. is a mile high city like Denver, and our favorite place to visit, Santa Fe, is over 7,000 ft. I don't seem to have much trouble when I visit there, but I notice it does slow me down. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm concerned whether I can expect to become aclimated or if I am putting myself in danger. Also, I take coumadin (blood thinner). Some people argue that there is less oxygen at higher elevations. Others say that there is the same amount, but at higher elevations the lower atmospheric pressure makes it harder to take in oxygen. Whatever it is, our bodies manufacture more red blood cells at high altitudes in order to deal with the thinner air. Does anyone know if that affects the dosage of blood thinners, or causes a higher chance of blood clots? The doctors I have talked to don't seem to have a clue about it except to say that I would not be safe at high elevations; however, they can't say what is too high. Surely there are CHF patients all over Albuquerque that are surviving. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
A few things are certain about the high altitude.

No matter who you are, your body has to work harder to get oxygen to all its tissues. Most of this effort comes from the lungs; once the circulatory system gets involved, it doesn't appear to be near as much of an issue.

There are many people, including people who have lived here all their lives, who have to move away to lower altitudes because of health issues (usually lung-related).

If you're already in questionable health when it comes to getting oxygen to your tissues, or you feel faint or weak at lower altitudes, you won't be doing yourself a favor by moving here.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,452 times
I don't want to talk details but I'd say it depends on your heart condition and what meds you take. I'm fine here and I've lived here for 2-1/2 years. You do adjust I think after a while.

I do notice things when I get up around 8000. That said when I go to lower elevations, things seem a bit easier for me too. But I'm super active in Albuquerque, exercise all the time, do all kinds of dancing, play golf etc.

I'm very surprised none of your doctors will give you any advice. Try callng Presbyterian Heart Group here in Albuquerque and asking to speak to someone about the altitude. Also there is a "heart hospital" in Albuquerque now too so you might try talking to someone there. BTW, Presbyterian is rated in the top 100 hospitals in the US for cardiac care. I looked at these things before I moved here.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
Making an appointment with someone at the Heart Hospital is excellent advice -- maybe before going through with the move. Your doctors' warnings may or may not be founded, but why take a chance? I have a relative who has CHF, but his doctors always send him with oxygen to higher altitudes like Albuq. and Santa Fe. CHF isn't something to take a chance with, so if I were you, I'd get some definite answers before moving -- from real doctors, too, not forum posters.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:29 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Thanks to all of you. I'm wondering if any of you have heart issues yourselves and have had no bad effects from the altitude. How would I look up Heart Hospital? Is that the name of it? I've called Presbyterian but they won't give me any information over the phone. This move, if it happens at all, won't be for several months, so I have time to get an appointment over there. I'm going to be there in two weeks but couldn't get in at that time. I am seeing my electrophysiologist next week so plan to ask him if he has any collegues over there that maybe he can talk to also. When I lived there in the late 80's I had had my first heart attack in 81, which started me running. I was actually in the best shape of my life. My wife and I did a lot of mountain hiking back then too. I felt the altitude was a plus then. But things are different now so I may not be making the move after all. Maybe I should talk to Dick Cheney; he and I have the same problem and the same implanted device (ICD). He calls his a pacemaker, but it's really a defibrillator first and a pacemaker second.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:27 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
800-734-4278 for the heart center. Here is the link: http://www.phs.org/heart/facts.shtml

Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
Also check out the Heart Hospital of New Mexico in Albuq. You can find it at hearthospitalnm.com.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,763 times
does anyone know what the exact altitude is in the northeast heights in the Montgomery, Wyoming area

Old 10-13-2014, 04:22 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc48 View Post
does anyone know what the exact altitude is in the northeast heights in the Montgomery, Wyoming area
5434 ft, according to the internet.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:14 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
5423 ft. at the corner of Spain and Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque